Bob White: Point well taken, Actually what I was alluding to is that the Scouting Program is as well rounded as any youth (or even adult) development program that ever has been (kinda like the Dale Carnegie Saleman Course, so to speak).

If the National Office was to recognize the reference I made (to the Scouting principles) as what the program is all about, then they would formulate a "national policy" that gives the decision to the COs. In that way, the COs will face public opinion, not the BSA, and will not be breaking National Standards.

The worst that can happen is it doesn't work, and we go back to the drawing board. If the organizations whom sponsor scout units are secure enough in their own being, then they will not hesitate to feel comfortable about making decisions affecting their own programs.

You said in closing, "If they choose to use scouting they must choose to use all of it". I agree. Maybe we should look at all the COs using the program and eliminate those whom use it differently than outlined by the current national standards.

Maybe I should be relieved from duty because I made a negative statement about women in scouting?

As eisley referenced me in another post, "maybe I just don't get it". It sure is easy to draw conclusions about people when you've known them for about 47 posts!

BSA can reword the policy so as to allow local sentiment. The question is , "do they have the courage to stand up for what is right?"

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Scouting changed the house rules, and you and I were already living here.

No they didn't, I've been in the program over thirty years, and their membership rules are exactly what I expected based on the values and goals of the program. My parents were leaders long before me and they understood the values to be exactly what the program stands for today.

Bubba, you asked "do they have the courage to stand up for what is right?"

They do, and they are. The fact that not everyone agrees with them does not make them wrong.

I don't say any of the posters who disagree with the BSA can't disagree. I just wish they would quit being so surprised when they are told to leave the program. The Supreme Court has established the BSA's right to determine its own membership. If you like what they do and how they do it and want to help, join. If you don't agree, don't join. If you do join play by the rules. I don't see where the logic of this evades people.

As far as blind obedience, communist manefesto etc. etc. Bull Crud! We take an oath that says obedience, loyalty and bravery are noble attributes. Yet if I show it to the scouting organization you try to brand me with labels that are not friendly, courteous or kind.

I see no added value to the scouting experience by using it as a stage for acceptance of a political agenda that has no interest in the character development of a boy.

Bob White

Bob White,

I want to thank you and others for the open discussion we have had. It has been very reminescent of the "America: Love it or Leave It" days of the sixties.

Having accomplished the task of my oldest son earning his Eagle Award, I guess its maybe time to move along.

Jake (the person formerly known as BubbaBear) Lekan