In reading the many posts in this forum, I have noticed that many of you hold several or more positions in Scouting. It is not uncommon as we all know.

The point I would like to make is that National Standards say that no scouter is to hold more than ONE primary position...i.e. you may not be a SM and a COR at the same time.

This standard makes a lot of sense if you think about it. How efficient is a person whom is the SM, District Camping Chair and CC to the pack?

Actually BubbaBear the Guide to Safe Scouting policy you refer to, says that an adult cannot hold more than one positon in the same unit. This is to keep one person from monopolizing a unit or allow someone to authorize their own membership application.

It is acceptable to the BSA to hold multiple positions in different units or in different levels such as unit and district positions.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Bob White, you are correct in your quotation but that is not the rules from which I take my comments. I believe that this policy comes from the Rules and Regulations of the BSA. I am in the process of checking my own accuracy on this and will post again as soon as I do. In the meantime, if there is anyone else whom can qualify my remarks please give me a hand here. The purpose of the rule which I am referring to is regarding conflict of interest and spreading yourself too thin in working in more than one major position (you can't serve two masters...so to speak).

Regards...Bubba

I have been in Scouting for over 30 years, boy and man, and in the 20+ years as a adult, I often served the local unit, while helping with projects at the Council and District (Cub Scout Resident Camp, Camporees, Scout-o-ramas, training, etc.) Once I stepped up to the Commissioner ranks, then I also accepted to the role of COR for the Pack and Troop in my town. However, I am capable to keep my work with these projects balanced.

I have always put my responsibilities for the local unit primary in all I do for Scouting.

There are two things at work here, policy and common sense. The policy prohibits a fairly narrow range of conduct, limited to monopolizing a unit and approving your own leadership position, as BobWhite says. When different "levels" are involved, we are into the real of common sense. There is only so much time in the day, and even beyond that, the more you divide your focus and attention, the greater the chance something will "slide" or slip through the cracks. An SM being a DC strikes me as a bad idea just as a matter of common sense. Except for an extraordinary person, each job is just too important and attention-consuming to do a good job at both. However, a DC being an ASM, an SM being a member of the district or council camping committee, an ADC being a SM, these would probably be ok (though I would be hesitant about the latter.)

A separate discussion probably could be had about Cub Scouts, where there is an "extra" layer of leadership, the den leaders. Under the policy, a den leader cannot be registered in any other position in the pack. I can tell you that in my pack, and I suspect many others, the situation on paper does not always match the situation in reality. I also am not sure that the reasons for the policy, recited by BobWhite, necessarily justify prohibiting a Cubmaster from also being registered as a den leader. Common sense would limit this, but necessity often overwhelms common sense.(This message has been edited by NJCubScouter)

Your comments are well taken. I suppose that each individual case has to be examined in order to determine efficiency. How many scouters do you know whom are refusing to relinquish a job to someone who really wants one? I know a few.

On the matter of policy and my own accuracy, I have attempted to get access to a copy of the BSA Policies and Procedures but am not having any success. The local Scout Shop said that they used to sell them but can not find them in the inventory booklet any longer...they are checking for me. In the interim, if any of you have a relatively current copy, hows about sending me a copy? I will reimburse you for the trouble.