Gay Lifestyle vs. Good Rolemodel

We all discriminate. Plain and simple. Your wife discriminated by marrying you and not the other guy. All those girls that I knew in college discriminated by not jumping into the sack with me. The VFW discriminates against non-veterans.

Discrimination is part of life.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This subject is very close to my pack's heart. We live in the only state that sees nothing wrong with being gay. Our council has chossen a "don't ask / don't tell" forum. Here in Vermont we are in a different situation then other states. Many of our funding sources will not give to the Boy Scouts. We are still able to get some of the money we need. Our council was tired of fighting with the coummunites. This whole state loves to fight and all it did was cause our boys to get no help. We try to focus on the good in everyone and not judge them. We aren't going to go around and ask if everyone is straight. So why should we ask them if they are gay? In our Cub Scout pack, we bring together almost 100% parent/adult participation. Do we still teach the boys to do the right thing, of course. We are not here to judge anyone.

yaworski said:

We all discriminate. Plain and simple. Your wife discriminated by marrying you and not the other guy. All those girls that I knew in college discriminated by not jumping into the sack with me. The VFW discriminates against non-veterans.

Discrimination is part of life.

That is true. Does that mean you think all discrimination is acceptable? And if not, if some is ok and some is not, what is your standard for determining which is which?

I had the oppoetunity to attend a seminar on real men put on by all people Planned Parenthood. I have to say I do not endorse them but the principles put forth in this seminar were quite clear.

1. Sex is more than a physical act it is also a Psychological and spiritual act as well as a emotional. I know this is shocking but it is true.

2.There are consequences to the act of sex Pregnancy, AIDS, STD's.

3. Having Sex before you are ready can damage you psychologicaly (sic) by harming your emtional development.

4. The media bombards us day and night with sexual imagery that we are not even aware of.

I don't believe in discrimination to anyone. That is what makes this country of our so great. What I'm saying is let God judge who is bad or good. We are here to make a difference. Does society discriminate, yes but its not right. That is why we have discrimination laws to protect thoses who this happens too.

pack330,

I feel for your council. IMHO, a council should stick up for what is morally right! A Scout is clean! Morally straight. Giving into pressure such as this only weakens the program! What's next - allow girls, athiests, criminals!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

pack330

I don't believe in discrimination to anyone. That is what makes this country of our so great. What I'm saying is let God judge who is bad or good. We are here to make a difference. Does society discriminate, yes but its not right. That is why we have discrimination laws to protect those who this happens too.

Yeahwe shouldn't discriminate against anyone or anything. In fact, we shouldn't even lock our doors at night. I mean that could really hurt the feelings of some neighborhood gangs. When my daughter gets older, I'm going to encourage her to go out with everyone - even those biker dudes down by the corner. After all they should be trusted until they prove otherwise. In fact, I think I'll encourage her to hitchhike across country. And you know whatif anything should happen; I won't be upset because it's not my job to judge who is bad or good. I want to make a difference. I want those biker dudes to feel good about themselves. In fact, tomorrow, I'm going to ask the governor to open the doors to our state prisons and let all those poor folks out. Wait a minutethen all those horrible people who discriminate will also get out.

Do we still teach the boys to do the right thing, of course. We are not here to judge anyone.

Just exactly how do you teach what the "right thing" is, if you don't discriminate or judge? When you teach a boy not to hit, aren't you indicating that those people who hit are wrong? Are you not judging them or at least their behavior?

One more questionwhat color is the sky in your world? Sorry, but your statements do not reflect reality.

"That is true. Does that mean you think all discrimination is acceptable?"

Discrimination is the truth. Why should we be forced by legislation to live a lie. Why should I have to hire someone that I don't like? It is my company and my money, no where in the Bill of Rights are you guaranteed a job.

For my part, I don't care what color you are. I don't particularly care for obese or smelly people.

Remember, education always works better than legislation for fixing social problems. Who knows, maybe I'll even come to like people with BO.

Ok, Rooster, that last comment was getting a little out of hand.

However, I agree with the rest of your post. Too many people do not think about what discrimination really is, a necessary part of any society. The same with tolerance: contrary to seemingly popular belief, tolerance does not include letting anyone do whatever they want. Tolerance is a Voltaire-like statement, "I may disagree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it." I always laugh at people who claim to be espousing tolerance and then take out that tolerance by insulting the Boy Scouts or the whatever. What's the tolerance, the respect in that?