Gay Lifestyle vs. Good Rolemodel

In your opinion, can most adults/parents look past one's "sexual preferences" and see the good or bad that a person can bring to a youth member as a good role model? In other words, can a Gay adult also be a good role model? Does one have anything to do with the other?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We used to call this a Pisa Poll. It leans so far to one side that it stays unoccupied and is essentially useless. Tough issues deserve better treatment, not "have you quit beating your wife" questions. FWIW

Your questions appear to be skewed in order to obtain a desired outcome. Why not just ask - Do you believe homosexuality to be immoral? It's a much simpler and more honest approach.

All of your questions presume that homosexuality is a behavior and a mindset that can be restricted and controlled within the boundaries of one's bedroom. They call it a "lifestyle" for a reason. Furthermore, these questions presume that a perverse sexual orientation does not reveal anything about one's character, except one's sexuality. Take these same statements and apply them to other sexual "preferences". Do they still seem like reasonable suppositions? Of course not, because even the most "open minded" (i.e., stubborn) individuals understand that bestiality reveals something about one's character. It's not just the sexual act, it's the mindset that enables one to justify and act out the behavior that causes one concern.

Sorry Rooster, I cant let you get away with that. Just because I do not believe that homosexuality is the terrible plague on humankind that you do does not make me any less stubborn than you are for beleiving all homosexuals just need to see the error of their way.

We are both stubborn, and I can admit it, can you?

BTW, given my experience with such polls, I would advise against responding to this one or at the very least cast a real jaundiced eye at the results.

OGE,

Yes. I am stubborn. Nevertheless, my point was this...Referring to homosexuality as "one's sexuality" or "preference" or "orientation" are poor attempts to sanitize the behavior. These labels don't hold water when one considers the full spectrum of sexual preferences. In short, we're talking about a sexual perversion, not a preference. This fact should be plain for everyone to see; simply pick up a book on biology (no insult intended).

To answer the question of "Why the poll", I am currently working on a research paper reguarding the BSA's Policy of not allowing Homosexual men and women, also known as Gay's and Lesbian's, into membership of the BSA. As an Eagle Scout, I have become very interested into the rational people utilize in deciding what is "moral" vs. what is "immoral".

For instance, if we hold that sexual acts that have nothing to do with Scouting, that relate to homosexual activities dis-allow a youth or adult from working in the BSA movement. What about the scoutmaster that commits adultery? Is that not an immoral sin?

So, the "motive" of the survey is strictly to get an impression about how the real world views this topic.

THank you to all who do choose to participate.. it is afterall your choice to do so. It will help my non-scientific research.

I did take the poll, only to find out the results so far. There probably is a way to view the results without voting, but I don't know what it is.

I think polls like this are basically worthless. The first post I ever read in this forum was a poll that OGE had started, I believe it was about whether you would leave the BSA if it changed its policy. The relatively few voters who are actually involved in the BSA were soon overwhelmed by a particular group of outsiders who had been "invited" to participate by a member with a particular point of view.

I think a poll in this forum might be worth something if it is something like "What do you think of the new Webelos hat" or "Do you agree with the elimination of the unit waiver of the Second and First Class swimming requirement." Anything more controversial than that, forget it.

What about the scoutmaster that commits adultery? Is that not an immoral sin?

Of course it is. Certainly, BSA would have a problem with this Scoutmaster as well. The fact that BSA does not specifically spell it out does not mean otherwise. For example, to my knowledge, there is no specific policy against white supremacists. Does BSA consider them to be engaged in immoral behavior and improper role models? Needless to say, they do. The policy against homosexuals became a written reality when large portions of society (although not necessarily the majority) started to make claims that homosexuality was acceptable. If large segments of society start to make claims that bestiality is acceptable, you can be sure that BSA will create another policy.

I've known more that a few homosexuals during my life, both the swishy, lisping type and those that could pass for John Wayne. Were they honest, hard working individuals? Sure. Would I want them as role models for my kids? Nope.

Why not? The same reason that I don't want doper or adulterer as a role model for my kids. I never knew a homosexual who could keep his pants zipped. Even those that were in so called "long term relationships" jumped from bed to bed so often that my head spun. The homosexual lifestyle appears to be one built around excess and bad choices.

Answers one and four seem like the same answer to me. Also, to many people answer #4 is contradicting itself. They would not agree with "Role models have nothing to do with sexuality" but they would agree with "one's character completely controls their ability to be a good role model". Most people believe sexual actions IS part of character and part of determining if someone is a good role model or not.

Also, as some others have pointed out the first question in the original post seems slanted, i.e. the word "preferences". Also, asking if most adults/parents can look past it is not the same as asking "can a gay adult also be a good role model".

Personally I believe that homosexuality is immoral and a abuse of the natural relationships God has created for us. Just because society says it is normal doesn't mean I have to conodne or expose kids to it. I believe the reason society has accepted it is the fact that the media has shown it to be normal and that everyone who takes a stand against it is a "Bigot"

Let us also ask the question, would we want our 16 year old daughters to go camping with two or three heterosexual men? If not, why would we want our 16 year old sons to go camping with two or three homosexual men?

If you are indeed researching for a paper, please study up on survey techniques, or ask your professor for some advise. This is one of the most convoluted short questionaires I have ever seen, and will almost be impossible to reliably interpret. Many have commented on the assumed bias, I cannot even tell which way it is biased.

So head back to the drawing board and try again...after all, I assume the paper is not due for a few days.

Twin_Wasp