It's 7 o'clock - do you know where your commissioner is?

Dear Friends,

On another post I brought up the use of commissioner service to resolve sticky issues within the unit.

It has occurred to me that not many people mentioned this resource because not many know or even see their commissioner. Frankly, I suspect that many units don't actually have a unit commissioner.

The national standard was one unit commissioner [uC] to oversee the health and well-being of three units. For every five unit commissioners there should be one assistant district commissioner [ADC]. So: one ADC = 15 units.

My question: Is this how it is in your districts? If so, how do you achieve these excellant ratios? If not, what are you doing about it?

I have been a unit commissioner for 8 years and have never seen these numbers.

YiS,

llwyn

I think you are right. My impression is that most commissioner staffs are spread much more thinly than the target ratio. One result is that districts will take almost anybody on as a commissioner. There have been some commissioners that I have seen who, although good hearted and well intended, probably did more harm than good by creating the impression that a need was being filled.

I think the usefulness of the Commissioner is a very individual thing. How they see their role differs among the individuals. In my 30+ years I have seen commissioners who we only see at the Annual Dinner and Family Picnic, where he can sponge a free meal. And others, like our present commissioner, attends most committee meetings and is an active participant with ideas, suggestions, and input. They can be an invaluable tool if they are dedicated to the job.

I only ever see commissioners at roundtable. (An ADC did come to one of our pack meetings this year but that was just to do an FOS presentation so it doesn't count.) I saw a district roster once and it had 5 UC's, and the last I heard, our district has 27 troops and 37 packs, if that's any indication. If we have a Unit Commissioner, I sure don't know who it is. On the other hand, when our unit has asked for advice, we get it (usually from the DE.)

NJCubScouter:

If we have a Unit Commissioner, I sure don't know who it is. On the other hand, when our unit has asked for advice, we get it (usually from the DE.)

llwyn:

What I find ironic in all of this, NJ, is that the District Commissioner serves at the pleasure of the DE - he is appointed. While it's good that he can give you advice when you ask, it's bad that the guy he appointed to provide commissioner service isn't doing his job.

You're doing a good job out there. So's your Exec. You both deserve quality commissioner service - ask him next time you see him.

And God bless your efforts.

YiS,

llwyn

I agree that Unit Commissioners are spread thin. It is a difficult position to fill effectively. One correction, the DC is not appointed by the DE. He or she is selected by the DE and District Chairman and approved by the Council Commissioner.

Bob White

Just to add a bit -- of the few people in my district who hold the title of Unit Commissioner, I am not sure how many (if any) actually have particular units assigned to them. One guy who wears a UC patch is actually the district FOS coordinator as well as the "acting" Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner, and probably a few lesser things as well. (I put quotes around "acting" because he has been doing the job for at least six months.) He does a lot of important work for the district and does it well, but he is not a Unit Commissioner as far as I can see. A few others with that patch seem to act more as Assistant District Commissioners, assisting the units directly when there is a need.

It's not that there aren't people around to help when requested, it's just that the prescribed structure is not being followed. And the reason is clear -- 1 UC for every 3 units would mean that my district would have 21 UC's. The volunteers just aren't there to fill anywhere near that number of positions.

Scomman sez:

>Commissioner? whats that I have been involved >in the same troop for 10 years and have yet to >meet one.

He's the one with the permanently crooked index finger from holding a coffee mug his whole life.

;o)

He's the one wearing the red shirt-jac over by the dying fire, telling all who'll listen what it was like in the old days!

Hah! =8-}

God bless you too, Scomman, O how I wish it weren't so ...

Hang in there brother, and don't be afraid to raise a stink at the next district committee meeting or roundtable. Yer supposed to know this guy. He's s'pozed to be yer friend. In fact, I'm required to do an onsite unit visitation once a month and I've got three units [i finally talked an old buddy to take the next town over so I didn't have to watch those three units - I was humped up for a while there].

YiS,

llwyn

Dear NJCubScouter,

NJ sez:

>It's not that there aren't people around to >help when requested, it's just that the >prescribed structure is not being followed. And >the reason is clear -- 1 UC for every 3 units >would mean that my district would have 21 UC's. >The volunteers just aren't there to fill >anywhere near that number of positions.

I know! Do the math! You are so right: "the volunteers just aren't there."

Listen friends, what will you do when your boy grows up? You've been trained [you have been trained, right?]; you've got experience [prob'ly in cubs and scouts both]; and, if you are like most of us, you LOVE the Scouting Movement and want to see it grow and continue forever! You want to help other people at ALL times! Friends in Scouting: That's what a Commissioner is!! C'mon up! Get a mug of coffee and sign on the dotted line!!!

I used to be a bobwhite.

23 years in the Movement (just a pup)

8 years a unit commissioner (what took me so long?)

llwyn

I am in a troop in the urbanreach district of my council. That is why I probably will never see a UC we have enough time keeping enough adults active to keep the troop active. The neighborhood we are in is highly transient and that is also a factor. Now for the plus side we work much closer with the DE as we are his only active scout troop now. So you can say he acts like our UC.

As an ADC for 6 years, one of the my largest tasks has been finding and keeping UCs for all the units in my area of the district. I have around 10 units in 3 towns in my area. I have a 2:1 ratio of UCs to units, but I keep going.

A UC should be visiting the unit at least 4 times a year: recharter, fall startup, spring membership inventory, and annual parents meeting.

It has been my experience that UCs are very good or invisable, nothing in between.

I am reading this thread with much interest. Where I live, the units treat UC's as "spies" for the Scout Exec's. They don't look to them for help but look at them with contempt. Not sure how this came about. I have been asked by the Council Executive, District Field Director and District Chairman to be a unit commissioner but I am reluctant. I told the Council Exec that I was too blunt and would ruffle too many feathers. His reply was that is exactly why I need to do the job. Does this sound familiar to anyone out there? I used to be a good ole' bear too!

BubbaBear,

I'm sure you're STILL a good ol' bear! I don't know how the spy thing came about. When we make a unit visit we are supposed to make an appointment, come as a friend (#'s 3,4,5,6), and after we get home, write up a visitation report. This report is supposed to help us determine the general "health" of the unit by documenting certain observations such as: number of adults; kids in uniform; adults in uniform; program being delivered; etc., etc.

Most units are doing OK and there is rarely any reason to be blunt. Actually the biggest task for a healthy unit is to help them complete their re-charter and that's only once a year.

Some units are in big trouble. Here is where you "earn your pay". You bring all of your experience and training to bear [sic] and help them resolve their problems and get back on the trail to success. Bubba, this is a HUGE payday. To see the faces of boys as they begin to experience good program is worth all the trouble it may seem to be while you are working things out.

You go, BubbaBear. Become a Unit Commissioner. Hang around with the kids a little. Toss a few patches around. Buy the Scoutmaster a cup of coffee some time. Do it!!!

A little cub scout once approached our district commissioner at day camp and told him, "Mr. Jones is MY commissioner!" I tell ya Bubba, that old DC almost teared up. 'Course I didn't when I heard about it [much].

Call him tonight and tell him you'll do it. You will never regret it. Besides, the Boy Scouts need you.

Yours in Scouting,

llwyn

llwyn...I appreciate the kind words and encouragement. The more I think about it, the more you are probably right. Thinking back, I believe the UC's dropped in on people at one time or another, I wouldn't want to do that!

I'll be in touch with the DC and sign up this week. Thanks.

YIS, Jake (BubbaBear) Lekan

YIS