How you do formally dismiss a volunteer from the program

I have a Den Leader/Committee person who has bad bad chemistry with all the adult leaders and parents and we are desperate to have this person removed and need politically correct ways to do this. He is not an active member in the Charter Oragnaization. I am tolerable of anyone however with the bad chemistry parents have threatened to leave with thier boy.

The Pack or Troop Committee meets WITH the COR (Chartered Organization Representative). If the decision is made by said Committee AND the COR understands and agrees with this decision, the COR, ONLY, has the authority to release an adult leader volunteer.

Perhaps working with cub scouts is not the best use of this persons skills. Maybe he took the position out of peer pressure or threat of the den folding (a tactic many packs use). I agree that it takes the Charter Rep to remove his membership but maybe that is not needed.

What if you just reassigned him to a task more fitting with his skills and interest so that he could be of beneifit to the pack. Removal of ones membership should only occur if a severe policy violation has taken place, such as youth protection, or if they have broken a law, for instance stole money from the pack.

Why not look for a solution that improves the program to the boys and maintains the adult's membership.

Bob White

I would like to see the answer to OGE's questions. But until then, if they are threatening to leave & take their son with them and the Pack hasn't violated any BSA rules & regs, I say let them leave. It might be nothing more than a bad fit!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

• 3 weeks later...

One thing that we have left out of the mix is the commissioner. Bob White's post was excellant, and I suspect he may have been a commissioner or still is. [?]

We should always involve our unit commissioners in resolving difficult situations. They are trained to handle it and that's why they get the big bucks.

sst3rd sez ...

The Pack or Troop Committee meets WITH the COR (Chartered Organization Representative). If the decision is made by said Committee AND the COR understands and agrees with this decision, the COR, ONLY, has the authority to release an adult leader volunteer.

llwyn:

Can you tell me where this is written? I was sure that the committee had more authority here.

Thanks all,

llwyn

Aside from the specifics that triggered this thread, this is a subject that deserves more information. I confess to ignorance about the specific responsibilities of the COR versus the committee.

It also seems to me that a council could act upon its own authority to remove an adult member. I don't know this for a fact, but given the legal relationships between councils and COs, I can't see that a council in its charter to a CO would cede all such authority. Does this make sense?

The Charter Organization through the approval of the organization executive and the Charter Organization representative are responsible for the selection of adult volunteers in the unit. The charter organization can remove the membership of any adult or youth for any reason they choose. The Council has the authority, under specific conditions, to revoke charters or individual memberships. This is rarely done, except in the instance of safety or youth protection violations, violation of national membership requirements, or violation of state or federal law.

Bob White

In the past I have been giving the responsbility of asking a leader to resign and I am afraid i didn't do it the "PC" way. I was asked by the COR to speak to the leader in question and ask him about an incident. The incident did happen and I was forced to ask him not to attend the meetings anymore. Since this brought the troop below the 2 required leaders the COR had to attend as a leader to keep the troop active. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and do a confrontation and get it over with and not worry about Politically Correct but first you or the committee must investigate the reasoning behind it.

Their was questions about the leaders actions outside scouts involving a group of scous who were brothers. There was another adult there and the leader in question had supposedly slapped one of the boys. The other sadult had brought it to the troop committees atttention. We had decided that even if it had been in jest it was a violation of troop policy and asked him to resign. It hurt because he was and is my friend.