A new boy in our troop assaulted another boy. The two boys - and a few others - had been watching TV, taking a break from their labors in setting up a garage sale. Adults were in the front yard holding the fort while the boys cooled off a bit from all the unpacking. One asked the other to move out of the way of the TV, and apparently unhappy with the speed of the resulting action, leapt off the couch and grabbed the other boy around the neck, lifting him off the ground and pounding his head on the door. Other scouts intervened, it took two good-sized teen boys to break the grip. The victim had handprints on his neck. The boy that assaulted the other went out and told his mom (in the front yard) "I did it, I put the infidel into the wall!" He was hissing like a snake during the assault.

We already knew this boy was pretty different, he appears to be borderline autistic or maybe schizophrenic (no eye contact, irrelevant comments in conversation) and his mom told us he was ADD. But we didn't have a clue that he could be violent - his mother didn't tell us anything about that.

A police report was made and EMS was called to evaluate the victim since his head had been banged pretty hard and he'd been choked. One of the witness scouts, a just-crossed over 11 year old who is somewhat timid and physically small was pretty scared. The others were scared too but not as much so, possibly because they are closer in size to the offender. (The victim weighs a big 98 pounds and the other boy is probably 160 or 170)

Not a real good quality Scouting experience for the kids.

Told you all that to ask you this:

When our COR called the council to report the incident, she was told by the district exec that the troop was at fault because there were not 2 adults in the room watching these 11 to 16 year old boys watch TV. (The 5 adults in the front yard didn't count because they weren't in the room. They couldn't help because the assault occurred at the doorway, blocking it.)

My response was Huh? Patrols can hike together without adults but watching TV in a home requires two deep supervision? Does anyone here have a different response?

The CO asked the scout to leave the troop, and since he was new, refunded his registration fees. The boy's mom felt he was being unfairly penalized for "being bigger" than the other boy, and thought this was only "boys being boys." The rest of the troop didn't feel that way at all, and I for one am really glad the CO booted the boy. My own son has an anxiety disorder himself and I'm very glad we happened to be unavailable for this event as my son could really have had a bad response.

On the other hand, the aggressor scout could be well-served by a special scouting unit for youth with emotional disabilities, and I wish we had one available in our council...

Anyway, does anyone have any comments?

The policies of the BSA as stated in The Guide to Safe Scouting are clear. Physical, verbal and mental abuse are forbidden in the BSA and must be addressed immediately. The CO was well within its authority to rescind the boy's membership.

I appeciate your empathy for the boy and his problems. I agree that scouting has elements that could be helpfull to him, but first you must think of the saftey of the other scouts. The scouting program is an effective developmental organization but it is not the only one. There are others better equipped to help this boy at this point in his life. I hope his parents realize his needs and get him the qualified help he requires.

Bob White

Given the facts above, I'd have to agree that expelling the boy from the troop was the right thing to do. As for the district executive claiming "the troop was at fault", that sounds like a bogus claim to me. BSA policy does not dictate that all boys must be in sight of an adult (or in the same room). Nor should it. You know...in every profession, including Scouting, there are less than competent people. This may be an example.(This message has been edited by Rooster7)

The CO has the right. I agree with you about having a special needs troop. Start one, get a sponsor and start one in your council. They should even welcome the idea, after all they too want scouting to grow.

good luck

I hope that you encouraged the victim to file formal charges with the police. Assault and battery is a criminal offense and it sounds like this boy has a violent nature and his parents are in denial.

ADD is often a diagnosis given to children who really have other problems. My niece showed symptoms of being ADD, but is actually bipolar (manic-depressive). She can become violent over incidents like you described. Too bad that the mother thinks "boys will be boys" is what is going on.

You can't expect boys to always be in view of the adults. What about shower time at camp? Or after the boys go into their tents? There are lots of situations where the boys may be without direct adult supervision.

Both boys are white and Christian, so I don't think there is any real-world basis for issues between them. On the other hand, I'm not at all sure that the aggressor is working in the real world so there's no telling.

The victim's response was to ask his mother and our troop to pray for the aggressor so that no one else would be injured. I was very OK with that. The COR tried to tell his mom that he needs help but I don't think it connected; the boy has been home-schooled for 3 years and somehow I think I have an idea why.

He reminds me a bit of my schizophrenic step-daughter at the same age. Lots of very strange religious beliefs came out of her ill mind, not related to either her mom's faith or ours.

When I win the lottery and no longer have to run a business - or when my kids grow up and I don't have any to play with anymore, maybe I will start that special troop....

• 3 weeks later...

littlebillie,

welcome to the board.

II assume Roosters intent was to point out that their special need would be solved by belief in God, not in having some atheist camping club for boys.

As far as being practical, I would argue that belief in God is very practical as well as compassionate.

littlebillie, Rooster seems to believe that belief in God is a "cure" for being gay -- something that I suspect would come as a surprise to the Episcopal priests who are openly gay, Reform Jewish rabbis who are openly gay, etc.

"the Episcopal priests who are openly gay, Reform Jewish rabbis who are openly gay, etc."

Do they believe in God or are they simply looking for a easy job with decent pay and access to little boys?