Let's talk about how to make sure Youth Protection works. Please, let's all try not to get off on the political side issues.

Does your unit do the training yearly?

Who is trained?

How do you get the information to the parents?

I think we all get comfortable and complacent at times and let the rules "slide". The parents may not realize the BSA has rules about 2 deep leadership and they should NEVER let their son leave for a campout with only one adult. The parents should understand they have the right and responsibility to question who is on a trip, what measures are being taken for safety, etc.

I noticed on an overnight school trip with my son's 5th grade class that one on one contact was allowed between adults and kids. I almost screamed when someone said I should walk back to the dorm with ONE girl so she could get something. I stood outside the door while she got what she needed. My little bit of BSA training said "don't go in there, doesn't look right, it's the wrong thing to do."

Also, I think we get comfortable with the people we meet in scouting. Quickly we feel like friends. The adults befriend the kids, as we should. You look at another adult and think "he's a nice guy". The kids are taught to trust teachers and adults. Then in a non-scouting environment, we let our son go somewhere with that adult. Most of the time no harm done. But not 100% of the time.

I'd like to hear what others think.

Does our Unit perform yearly Youth Protection Training? Truthfully - no. As the new Cubmaster and ASM for our new Troop I will change this.

Who is trained? At the minimum all the leaders, new and old. Optimally every parent,leader in the unit.

How is the information provided to the parents? Good question. I think that a good start would be the parents meeting at the beginning of the school year.

I agree with you on the complacency and comfort levels is where Youth Protection starts to fail.

Just this week I attended my sons field trip to the Zoo. I was assigned 4 boys to be in my group. I was uncomfortable with being the only adult with four boys. Luckily the Zoo was crowded and at no time was I alone with any youth. There were numerous other adults around. The bathroom situation drove me nuts. I stood outside the mens room while the boys were using it. However other adult males were going in and out while they were there. What should I have done?

Ah, yes the bathroom situation. Also familiar to any mom with a son and any dad with a daughter. A few family places, like malls now have "family restrooms" where you can take everyone in at one time and lock the door. Great for the parent alone with 2 or more kids.

The other situation that is "odd" is when you know one of the boys outside of scouts. I knew my son's best friend before I became a Cub Leader. He spends the night at my house a lot. Yet, at Cub Scout events, I felt I should not be left alone with him. His mother obviously trusts me but at a Scouting event, I am no longer his friend's mom but a Scout leader.

Along that line I have a question. Does "no one to one contact" include with your own son? If you are at camp and feel your own son needs a "private" talk, do you still make sure it is in sight of others?

sctmom

My feelings that I can be alone with my child at anytime. I also have the same problem with my Son's best friend who is in Scouts with him. It seems that either of the two boys are spending the night with one or the other everyweekend. On scouting events I will not be alone with him while on normal weekends I will. I have no problem with this I believe that sends a good message to the other parents and leaders.

sctmom

My feelings that I can be alone with my child at anytime. I also have the same problem with my Son's best friend who is in Scouts with him. It seems that either of the two boys are spending the night with one or the other everyweekend. On scouting events I will not be alone with him while on normal weekends I will. I have no problem with this I believe that sends a good message to the other parents and leaders.

sctmom,

You bring up great points. I have befriended many, many folks in Scouting. However, I don't trust any to be alone with my son. The pedophile is an "expert" at gaining the trust of parents...this is how he succeeds so often.

However, on the other end of the spectrum, I have no problem being alone with my son on a Scout outing. I think the boys clearly understand the difference. Also, I think it goes beyond the pale of reason. They're our children. We're legally charged to look out for their interest and to protect them. Unless a parent has demonstrated behavior, which generates doubt about his/her character, I see no reason why they cannot be left alone.

(This message has been edited by Rooster7)

YES, out troop dose the program every year. We show the videos to the adults first to make sure it meets with the parents approval. in our troop the parent and the scout must attend the youth protection sessions or they will not be going on any troop activities. No scout will ever be left alone with an adult.

K9, that sounds like a good idea. I don't think parents realize that BSA has these rules since most organizations (including schools) don't.

I know one dad who says "In Cub Scouts BSA had us convinced that a weirdo is behind every tree trying to attack our son."

I also see this as protecting the adults. If you are never left alone with a child, you cannot be wrongly accused of anything.

To me it is not just about sexual abuse, which of course is the worst thing imaginable, but there are other things that could take place --- alcohol, drugs, stealing, etc.

I remember as a child being around a couple of different adults who appeared overly friendly to kids. My mother could spot these people a mile away and would tell us in no uncertain terms to NEVER be alone with those people. I was too young to understand why at times, but now I do. Her main explanation was a 24 year old needs to have friends his/her own age, not 12 year olds as friends.

I've been concerned lately of the neighbor who thinks her 6 year old son should play with my 11 year old son. My son doesn't WANT to play with this child, and I would not let him play with kids 5 years older than he is. I was leary of the older kid a few years ago who wanted my son to go ride bikes in the neighborhood. My son was not allowed to leave the street yet, I said no.

I think I will ask my son's troop about Youth Protection training within the troop. At a minimum sending home brochures to the parents who don't attend meetings, and making sure the boys are trained. If the boys know the rules, they will usually make sure the adults follow them.

• 2 weeks later...

The church I work for has taken this policy and applied it to all youth programs which is good and we are required to have one person on the troop committee who oversees the youth protection policy and makes sure it is followed from all points.

The person is responsible not to the troop committee but to the charter organization.

Parents are allowed to be alone with their own child. Youth protection standards states that the child's parent is the only adult allowed to share a tent with his/her child.

P.S. I made a mistake and started a new topic and posted this there first.

I like ScouterPaul's take on setting a good example by not being alone wiht his son on Scout outings even though it's not in the SS Guide. Setting a good example is what we are here to do!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1