Question for Bob White

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Scoutparent,

No, not really. There is a remote connection between unit funds and the BSA but it is really remote and only comes into play if the unit folds or if there illegalities in the handling of the money.

For all practical applications the stewardship of the funds are in the hands of the Troop Committee and the chartered organization. many units set up scout accounts as way to help make scouts more conscious of money handling, as a motivation and reward for fundraising, and as a way to help minimize the cost of scouting.

Units can administrate these funds however they want. and there is a wide variety of methods used. The best way is, no matter what you decide make sure it is publicized to the families frequently, that everyone knows the benefits and penalties, and they know how much they have.

I like what my son's troop does. You can use the money for scout activities, uniforms or personal camping equipment. If you quit scouting the money is forfeited to the troop. If you transfer to another troop that has scout accounts the money goes to your new account.

You need to ask your unit what all the financial policies they follow are.

I hope this helps,

Bob(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Our son has chosen to transfer to a different troop within the same council. When we approached the scoutmaster of the troop he is leaving with a form to transfer his individual scout account we were told he would not be able to take one penny of his account to the new troop with him. The SM said transferring his account is against the troop bylaws. This is the first time in all the time our son was in the troop that bylaws were even mentioned to us. It was always our son (and our) understanding that the money he earned on fundraisers that was placed in his individual account was his to be used towards scouting as long as he remained in a scouting program--not as long as he remained in the troop.

I would contact the Committee Chairperson and ask to come over and pick up a copy of the troop by-laws. then, while there I would explain the situation and ask what the purpose of having a scout account was. Then ask how him transfering changes that purpose. I think you just got a knee jerk reaction from the SM.

Bob(This message has been edited by Bob White)

ScoutParent

Our Policy is the same as Bob Whites - the money goes with the Scout if he transferes and goes into the Troop General Fund if he leaves scouting.

Also the scout funds from the Cub Scout Pack goes with the boy into Boy Scouting.

Sounds like the SM is upset about your son transferring.

Our troop has a mixed policy. All the money a family has put into the account of their own accord is refunded directly to the scout regardless of whether or not he stays in scouting. All the money earned through a fundraiser organized by the troop is forfieted.

I spoke to the council office yesterday. They asked me to draft a letter with the pertinent information in it for them to present at the district committee meeting. They will help my son get his money transferred to the new troop. It seems they are familiar with the SM from the troop our son is leaving.

Thanks to Bob White and all who answered my post. Hopefully with District working with us he will get his money transferred and can finish the final steps up the trail without further avoidable disturbances. He enjoys scouting so much and it just seems a shame to encounter these types of problems but I guess he can learn valuable life lessons from these as well.