What is Scouting?

"The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to prepare young people to make ethical choices over their liftimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law"

This mission is accomplished by specific methods that are designed to affect the three specific Aims of Scouting; Character Development, Citizenship Training, and Mental and Physical Fitness.

These specific methods vary slightly with each of 3 programs as they are designed to affect youth at their various developmental stages.

As far as a scouts go, their main interest is that scouting is fun. Fun is one of scouting most powerful tools. but it's just that, a tool, not a goal. If what we do is not achieving the mission and Aims of of scouting, and if we aren't using the methods of scouting, then it's not Scouting.

There is a diference between Scouting, and just doing stuff in a scout uniform.

Bob White

Scouting is a boy ( unless it Ventures) preparing for life by learning skills and accomplishing goals in the context of a youth lead organization. There in emphasis on Outdoors skills, and while this is the main focus, other skills may be presented as the boys wish.

I cant emphasize enough the charactor aspect as well, learning and living the values of the scout law and scout oath. This may be part of keeping the cool in scouting, but to be said of a youth, " he is such a boy scout" in an honor, not a dis.(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

What Bob White said! The man knows where of he speaks. We have a Mission. We have Goals. We have a method of delivery. They are all written down and available for those who seek knowledge of our program.

I hope that I never get to the point that I feel that I know everything there is to know about scouting or any given subject. This forum is a continuing education for me too. It is very interesting to see how people view the program from their different perspectives. Bob White is correct. However I think that when some participants in the forum say "but that's not scouting," they are trying to say that a particular idea or action is inconsistent with the ideals or methods of the movement as they understand it.