County Closes Bank Account to Protest Handling of Boy Scouts

I just found this article on line:

Levi Strauss to Cut 3,300 Jobs

Mon Apr 8, 9:48 AM ET

SAN FRANCISCO - Jeans maker Levi Strauss & Co. said Monday it will shutter six U.S. manufacturing plants this year and cut 3,300 jobs, or about 20 percent of its workforce.

The company, whose sales have been sagging, has said it wanted to have others manufacture its clothing and move toward marketing the finished product.

"There is no question that we must move away from owned-and-operated plants in the U.S. to remain competitive in our industry," said Philip Marineau, chief executive officer.

The plants will close in three phases, Levi Strauss said in a statement.

In June, the company will close plants in San Francisco and Blue Ridge, Ga.; in August, plants in Brownsville and San Benito, Texas; in October, plants in Powell, Tenn., and El Paso, Texas.

The privately-held company said it will continue to operate a sewing plant and a finishing center in San Antonio, though it will cut about 300 jobs there too. Levi Strauss employs 16,600 people overall.

A poor sales start this year put Levi's on track for its sixth consecutive year of declining revenue.

The San Francisco-based company's sales totaled $935.3 million for the three months ended Feb. 24, a 6 percent decline from a year earlier.

Laid-off employees will receive a "separation package," the company said.

Who says boycotts don't work.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got one for you...Our A/C went on the fritz this week, partially because of mishandling by the company that did the maintenance service.

One of the owners stopped out to resolve the problem, and in the course of conversation I had mentioned that my son had just gotten his Eagle award. He replied that his nephew just had gotten his.

I know that the entire system has to be replaced and in discussing this with the gentleman, I became very adamont about not getting a Carrier Corporation unit. When he asked me why, I told him about how Carrier cut funding for the Scouts. He was flabbergasted "Jake", he said, "I will be meeting with the Carrier representative in two days. I hope you don't mind me passing that along."

"I would appreciate it" was my reply. Just doing my share...

Atta Boy Bubba Bear! Sounds like we need a list of companies thta pulled their funding from the BSA because of the gay thing. I would be willing to add the list to my Troop site if everyone would post or send me the names & addresses of the companies who pulled their funding. Sending letters & e-mails to these companies to encourage them to re-fund Scouting wouldn't hurt either!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

I have gone one step further; After getting the financial report from my insurance company this year, I noticed that they had donated some phenominal amount to the United Way via "employee contributions". I wrote a letter to the Chairman of the Board asking them to review the issue of the UW cancelling support of the BSA. Maybe nothing will come of it, but as in the A/C story I posted, a "heads up" doesn't hurt.

Slontwovvy posted a comment about (what if we had negotiated with Hitler?), well if we had been that naiive the world would certainly be a different place today. I am glad we didn't, and that is why I am glad that we aren't negotiating with Osamma.

Personally, I am proud that President Bush took a deep breath before actually striking Afghanastan. I believe he showed that we are a fair nation by giving Osamma a chance to surrender.

Longhaul's observation of (having things forced on him) is in effect how I feel about the topic. This issue does't concern me that much however because it has been fought before. I reccollect reading about God's wrath over the subject in a couple cities way back. Who am I to judge?

If you want to unify the nation in this war against Mid-Eastern terrorism, and you feel as though we are dividing our country over triviality, think about this; How do Muslim nations treat homosexuals?

• 2 weeks later...