Why it's relevant...

Quixote, the observation that was made by one of the briefs filed before the Supreme Court that even some clergy within the SBC were gay was I think made to show just how far reaching disagreement is on this issue. It appears there is even some disagreement within your Church. I think more relevant than that, though, is the larger explaination of other major religions and sects within them that are on disagreement.

This is at the heart of my entire point, first raised some time ago: you and I disagree on the morality of homosexuality. I do not begrudge you your beliefs, nor should you begrudge me of mine. I just do not believe that an organization so large, and so spread throughout society as the BSA should have a policy like this. I believe that there is but one real viable choice, and that is to follow the same path we chose on the issue of women in Socuting and the age of Cub Scouts (explained above) and make this a matter for the local chartering partner to decide, leaving this decision as close to the parents of the child as possible.

Categories and labels. It's never that simple. If any of this STUFF makes it to the Packs and Troops, programs will be folding in mass. I haven't had to defend this policy (I still haven't seen this in writing) of excluding gays. It never comes up. The Mormons taking over the BSA ? Money, power, dictatorship ?????!!!!! This hasn't affected the ground level programs of the Packs and Troops (at least in this area). And if it ever did, again, programs will fold. There is a lot of flexibility in the Scouting program, that allows different paths to the same goal. There has been unit choice in adult leadership for years, if not from the very beginning. I've never been accused of being a member of a hate group, or anything similar. Where do you people get this? Tell me where you live so I can avoid that part of the country. I'm still trying to find, in all of my years of training, the manual that shows me how to teach this "terrible lesson" you're refering to. You folks are really trying to create something that simply doesn't exist, except maybe in your own heads. Everything I've read concerning these issues, are repeats that I've long tired of seeing. Nothing new is being presented, because everyone is talking the same old arguments. I'm done.

TJ,

Yes they are mistaken. If they read the Bible, they will find God doesn't condone homosexuality. He says it's wrong.

Like Weekender, I don't hate homosexuals. As Christians, we are taught to love the sinner & hate the sin.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

In an earlier post, tjhammer, you imply that membership through LDS (Mormon) chartered units constitutes 35% of total BSA membership. Do I understand you correctly? If not, please clarify. Also, where are these statistics about type of charter organization and membership available to the general scouting community on the web?

• 2 weeks later...

As you see in the other post, it is more accurate to say that the Mormon Church constitutes 25% of the BSA units, not 35% as I previously stated. Regretably, their influence is skewed by a large number of small units.

I'm confused! Why is it that the LDS's representation is "skewed", when as a national sponsor it has the most units and the second most number of youth served? Who do you thing has the most Representatives in Congress, California or Rhode Island. If other organizations used scouting as completely as as the LDS church they would have more representation.

Bob

Bob, I'll respond on the other thread, where this subject is more appropriately discussed. The original purpose of this current thread is to explain why debate over Scouting's ban on avowed gays is so relevant and worth discussing.