Any other issues??

I guess I come back to my original point, which is that a Scoutmaster's primary function at an outing is not that of a pharmacist. I think one of the reasons BSA allows different leader/Scout ratios for Cubs and Boy Scouts is the presumption that Boy Scouts, being older, require less hand-holding and nose-wiping than the little guys do. To me, that should include remembering to change your socks and take your pills. I understand that failing to take meds can be life-threatening. However, I have no medical training beyond first-responder stuff. Do you really want me to be responsible for detecting signs that a child hasn't taken a required med? As an adult leader at a Webelos resident camp in Virginia, I had responsibility for Scouts from 4 different packs. One of them, who I never met before, had athsma, which I had trouble spelling at the time, let alone knowing anything about symptoms and immediate treatment. I needed a crash course from the medics (who held the meds but not the inhaler) and had to ensure that in addition to everything else, the Scout had his inhaler with him. That didn't cause task saturation for me, but multiply that by a number of Scouts and a number of ailments, and I'll need to carry a Physician's Desk Reference around with me instead of the Fieldbook. Personally, I like the way our District does it. Army medics on site all the time, they hold the meds, they know the schedules, they chase down the Scouts who don't show up to get their meds, and I get to concentrate on the program...it's a beautiful thing.

I'll be the first to admit we're blessed in that neither of our kids have medical problems that require medication. Yet, I know many do, and my question is how to best balance SM responsibilities for the program with the requirement for Scouts who need meds on a regular schedule to get them, especially at a resident camp where the activities can have them spread out eight ways from Sunday.

I'm not even going to touch so-called Scouts stealing controlled substances. I think that's a criminal matter on a completely different plane from what we're discussing...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen to that KoreaScouter.

Regardless whatever whomever's policy is, I will NEVER manage anyones medications except my own or my families. That is stated up front when a Scout joins our troop. Dispenseing meds is not a service we provide or that any of my assistants are comfortable with.