Any other issues??

I understand the importance of the gay issue in Scouting, but haven't we really beat this to death already? Is this the only issue that is pertinent to the program? We have numerous different topics all related to the same issue. Something new already, please!!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about this for an issue; Is the Guide to Safe Scouting getting too detailed? Should the specifics be dropped and only goals listed? Are the threat of lawsuits driving the program instead of whats the best for the boys?

I have noticed that the Guide is getting bigger and bigger. That is what is driving my question.

What do you all think?

There are plenty of other issues that merit equal weight.

Here's one.

We aren't supposed to discuss sex or sexuality with the boys. While obeying the rules and remaining in the spirit of scouting by not trying to bend the rules, what can we do as scouters to support parents in encouraging the boys to abstain from sexual activity until the appropriate time?

Can we even do that or am I attempting to bend/break the rules by merely posing the question?

If the worst happens, what can we do as scouters to help? If the worst happens and the matter is made public knowledge to your unit how do you handle it?

I'l take a stab at the guide to safe scouting topic. I agree that the guide is growing and beco0ming mor detailed. I'm not sure that is a bad thing, and I'm not sure it has to do with low rate of unemployment among lawyers.

The problem as I see it is the size and scope of our program. We have thousands of volunteers. Most of the contents of the Guide to Safe Scouting boil down to using common sense. The problem is that common sense isn't common.

Strangely enough, people who learned the Girl Scouts rules first think that the BSA Guide to Safe Scouting doesn't cover NEAR enough.

As Bob White said "The problem is common sense isn't common."

We aren't supposed to discuss sex or sexuality with the boys. While obeying the rules and remaining in the spirit of scouting by not trying to bend the rules, what can we do as scouters to support parents in encouraging the boys to abstain from sexual activity until the appropriate time? Mike, Im not sure how relevant B-Ps writings are to todays policies but these words are from his book Aids to Scoutmastership and they seem fitting to your query.

this subject has led to the moral and physical wreckage of many lives.

This is only too true, and I can testify from a fairly wide experience among soldiers and others. The amount of secret immorality that is now prevalent is very serious indeed. Personally, apart from explaining as a preliminary how plants, and fishes, and animals reproduce their species, I have found it appeal to boys, as it did to me when I first heard it, to tell them how in every boy is growing the germ of another child to come from him. That germ has been handed down to him from father to son from generations back. He has it in trust from God; it is his duty to keep it until he is married and passes it to his wife for reproduction. He cannot honourably forget his charge and throw it away in the meantime. Temptation will come to him in many forms to do so, but he has got to be strong and to guard it.

This is the last requirement for Family Life Merit Badge.

6. Do the following:

a. Discuss with your merit badge counselor how to plan and carry out a family council.

b. After this discussion, plan and carry out a family council to include the following subjects:

1. How to avoid the use of drugs and drug abuse

2. Understand the growing-up process, how the body changes, and making responsible decisions dealing with sex

3. Personal and family finances

It would seem there is some room for this kind of discussion and I think its clear what standard the BSA has for its consideration.

RE: Guide to Safe Scouting

The guide to safe scouting is getting bigger, but I personally think that is just fine. The more information that can be provided to me about how to conduct activities safely, the happier I am. I have also found the policies a useful way to deter other adults who want to do stupid things. I can politely point to the guide and settle the issue without getting personal or having an argument.

RE: Sex and the single scout

I for one am somewhat puzzled at this prohibition of discussing sex with scouts. I would not initiate such a discussion, but I would feel awkward simply turning a boy away who had a serious question. This hasn't happened yet, but there ought to be some flexibility here.

RE: Guide to Safe Scouting

IF I'm not mistaken, these are guidelines. I would like to see the BSA actually state more of what is & isn't permitted. In words, take a stance & actually set policy at a national level.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

evmori,

The Guide to Safe Scouting has both "policy" and "guidelines" in it.

If you notice there are two type faces used in the guide, normal and bold face. Anything printed in Bold letters is BSA policy and is not open to local interpretation. Guidelines or recommendations (regular type), are recommendations based on successful use in other units and test programs.

Violation of policy can negate a leaders liability protection as well as their BSA membership.

When planning a scout activity, adults and junior leaders should consult the guide to make sure all aspects of related BSA policy are followed.

• 3 weeks later...

The Girl Scout book Safety Wise is MUCH more detailed although not longer. It just says it more concisely. I find meeting Safety Wise standards is considerably more challenging than meeting Boy Scout standards for similar outings. Also, the odds of getting "caught" if you shortcut Safety Wise are very high as the Girl Scout organization has leaders on short leashes.

Safety Wise is placed in the hands of every new leader in my service unit at no charge to her at her first orientation meeting, and is likened to the BIBLE (as a Christian I had a problem with the metaphor but got the point nonetheless). We had several tabletop exercises in training where we had to look up the SW guidelines for proposed outings.

I had to go buy the Boy Scout books myself and they were only occasionally mentioned in Scoutmaster Fundamentals.

I think the GTSS is getting longer and more detailed, but I also don't have a problem with that. I think the policies and recommendations are sensible for the most part. For example, the GTSS says that taking prescription meds is the responsibility of the person they're prescribed for, although leaders can accept responsibility if they want to. By contrast, my kids' school doesn't allow any of the kids to hold their own meds, even athsma inhalers or bee-sting antidotes -- and they have to be immediately available!

I like our rules better.

My son will not remember to take his medicine, neither do most ADHD kids. Shoot, I have a hard time remembering to take my meds when away from home and my regular routine. When we are talking about 11 year old's, most will not remember to take the medicine and that could be a serious problem.

I would prefer that an adult handle the medicines. The medicines for ADHD are basically speed. Other kids take them they are going to get high.

Also, I know a boy who just joined Boy Scouts who takes a lot of medicine throughout the day for a kidney disease. Some of this must be refrigerated and some must be mixed each day. His mother did not send him on the weekend campout because she didn't feel she knew anyone well enough to handle this for her. When discussing summer camp, I recommended she call the camp the troop has chosen and ask very direct questions about how they will handle this, do they understand it.

My son's school will at least allow the kids to bring in their refills to the office. Some schools say the parents have to come in every time.