What Really Matters?

For my own sanity, and so I will no longer neglect my job or home, I intend to take a sabbatical from posting on the Politics and Issues forum (and probably the other threads as well). However, I would like to leave you with these thoughts

Some folks feel this forum does not discuss relevant issues. Some folks feel that these discussions have little, if not nothing to do with the Scouting program. Even "Scouter-Terry" (the site's owner) noted, The Politics and Issues forum was established specifically to provide an area for debate separate from the important matters of Scouting

To me, this forum is THE MOST IMPORTANT thread on the Scouter Forum site. It's these issues that are fundamental to the program. If we truly believe that BSA is more about building character than campfires, then we should encourage more Scouters to debate these issues, not less. If you feel that the "homosexual issue" is a minor issuean issue, we shouldn't concern ourselves with, then you did not join BSA for the same reasons as I. If you feel one can fulfill the promise of Scouting and be an atheist, then you did not join BSA for the same reasons as I. If you think Scouting should be an amoral organization that should put all of its efforts into teaching camping skills and encouraging fun for boys, then you did join BSA for the same reasons as I.

Of course, I want my child to have fun. And, like every good parent, I want him to learn skills that will help him in life. However, I see these things as Scouting's byproducts, not as its purpose. In the end, Scouting's purpose should be to help turn boys into men, to build strong character. It is my hope and prayer that most of us have the same vision. To me, an Eagle badge (especially when its on one of my sons' shirts) will always be a symbol that reflects traditional values, years of dedication, and an unshakeable character. As it stands today, that badge has the same meaning and value as it did 92 years in 1910. Will it remain so? I don't know. I do know this. If we don't fight to keep it that way, others will have their way.

Keep up the good fight. For my Christian brothers and sisters, I offer up Proverbs 3 as encouragement. The following is a sound file of Lord Baden-Powell describing the Boy Scout movement.

http://www.cnyscouts.org/historical/audio/bp_public_address.ra

As Arnold Schwarzenegger says - "I'll be back." - but probably not for a couple of months. God Bless.

Rooster,

I agree in principal with most of what you wrote.

Healthy debate is Healthy. I understand your desire to take a sabatical from the Politics and Issues forum. I myself have on several occassions vowed to stop reading and posting. However, I'm drawn to the forum like a moth to light. Please do not cease posting to the other forums. Even though we might disagree on some issues I feel that you have a lot to offer and that I might learn from your scouting experience

Yours in scouting

Rooster,

I totally understand wanting to get away from Politics and Issues. I rarely read this section and even more rarely post on it. It is just exhausting reading the same arguements over and over again. Healthy debate is always a good thing, but I feel this forum very often crosses the line of healthy. I also feel that in their passion, many of the Scouters here forget the Scout Law. A Scout is supposed to be courteous, and that seems to be forgotten often.

I hope you enjoy your break and I join ScouterPaul in his request that you not ignore us all together. I have learned a great deal from most of the Scouters here and you always seem to have valuable words of wisdom to contribute.

R7,

I'd like to thank you for all of the insight you have provided in this forum. You'll be missed by those "keeping up the good fight."

I agree with your statement that this is the most important forum on the site. We are dissecting the fundamentals of Scouting: indeed, a little self-discovery never hurt anyone.

Though I doubt it'll ever happen, maybe we'll get a couple people to change their minds yet, or at least give them a run for their money.

YIS,

SlontWovvy

I too took a sabbatical from the Issues & Politics forum some time back, not because the issues aren't important, but because I found people repeating themselves so much. I also found some of the personal attacks distasteful and unscoutlike, to say the least. I do hope we hear from you from time to time R7.

To me, this forum is THE MOST IMPORTANT thread on the Scouter Forum site. It's these issues that are fundamental to the program. If we truly believe that BSA is more about building character than campfires, Roo, I agree with you 100%, and it would seem that we are in agreement on nearly everything else. I hope you enjoy your sabbatical and look forward to your return. Your style of debate is considered, by some, much more scoutlike than mine as some have eluded too, and Im glad youve been able to express your views with the kind of passion you feel comfortable in conveying your message. For me, on those subjects the others may as well be advocating pedophilia, its the same to me and worthy of my highest condemnation, your tolerance is different than mine. Anyway, hurry back! B RGDS

I have to make one correction before I go...

In my original post, I wrote - If you think Scouting should be an amoral organization that should put all of its efforts into teaching camping skills and encouraging fun for boys, then you did join BSA for the same reasons as I. I meant to say - you did NOT join BSA for the same reasons as I. If you're compelled to comment on that, please reread my entire post. Also, be advised, I will refrain from answering.

Scoutmom,

My main reason for taking this break is to refocus my attention elsewhere (work, home, etc.). I find this thread to be very consuming. However, I'm convinced these debates are a worthwhile endeavor. We are fighting for the "soul" of BSA. I truly believe this.

ScouterPaul,

I am heartened by your warm response, especially since we disagree so passionately on these issues. I pray God will open your eyes to His Word. I realize that you may take offense to thatbut I want you to know, I offer this thought with the same warmth of friendship that in you put forth in your response.

DedicatedDad,

Thanks. I agree with your posts. I'm not sure our tolerance levels are any different. I take a very long time to think about my responses (generally). Without the benefit of that time, I'd probably be more blunt. Also, it is very debatable as to whether or not my style is the most forthright. I try not to offend (sometimes) but at what price? Bottom Line: We have the same values.

OGE, Ed, eisely, Weekender, slontwovvy, sctmom, Chippewa29, cjmiam, andrews, Pioneer DC, sst3rd, Its Trail Day, Mike Long, Glen, and many others - I've really enjoyed your comments and warm thoughts, offered throughout this forum.

Last word, promise

Proverbs 1:20

Wisdom calls aloud in the street, she raises her voice in the public squares;

Amen.