Do you home school, public school or private school?

SagerScout,

You said -

We are Christian BTW but pretty liberal, and prefer to teach love-and-tolerance together.

How much tolerance do you have for your Christian brethren that are not "pretty liberal"? Some Christians "prefer" to teach their children about God's love and righteousness? Does that make them hateful and intolerant?

I was nodding my head throughout your post until you closed it out with that wonderfully derisive conclusion. From where I am standing, it's a little difficult to feel that "love-and-tolerance" thang that you're teaching your kids.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rooster7 -

I'm sorry, I did not intend for that to sound derisive at all.

One of my best friends - and a very conservative Christian, I might add - says it like this: She thinks that the differing views that the different denominations and non-denominational churches have of God and the Christ may be largely attributed to an effect like that of the blind men examining the elephant. They got into a heated argument : "no, the elephant is long like a snake; no, stout and strong like a tree trunk..." God is so big, bright, shining and awesome that we his creations cannot grasp Him. So a heated argument ensues. At some point, I feel that civil individuals must retreat to a stance of "THIS is how I experience God and how He leads me to serve HIM ... but I recognize that YOUR experience may be different AND His directions to you may be different." And yes, this does extend as far as forgiving wrongs - even great wrongs - done to me, my family, and/or my country by those who think differently. I believe that we are all loved by the Lord. Judgement belongs to God and I fully believe S/HE is up to the task.

sctmom,

You are correct. Location is the key. My wife, myself, my son & my daughter (in 2004) all graduated from the same public high school. The school district is considered on the the top 25 in the country.

There are good and bad public & private schools.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

We are Christian BTW but pretty liberal, and prefer to teach love-and-tolerance together.

That statement clearly infers that Christian conservatives do not teach "love-and-tolerance". I'm not sure how it can be interpreted any other way. However, I will take you at your word.

At some point, I feel that civil individuals must retreat to a stance of "THIS is how I experience God"

This is much easier for a liberal to say and believe. Contrary to most Christian conservatives, most liberals believe "all paths" (all faiths) lead to God. Many more believe that the bible is not clear and is not the infallible word of God. Conservatives do not believe that they are blind to God or his teachings. We have our eyes open and can clearly see Him via his Word and the Holy Spirit. While others are arguing about whether or not it's a "snake or a tree trunk", we feel compelled to shout, "It's an elephant!" On appearances, I suppose that makes conservatives seem intolerant. I would argue that conservatives are intolerant when they believe the truth is being circumvented.

Judgment belongs to God and I fully believe S/HE is up to the task.

I'm sorry but that statement does not reflect Christianity (although, it may reflect some so-called Christian churches of the day).

Sager and Rooster, before you two start to duel, I do want to be sure I understand the issue, I tend to get lost a lot in these threads as some of my posts prove.

You are both self-professed Christians, as such you both believe in Jesus Christ and both see the Ten Commandments as rules to live by.

So the debate will be over whoose view of the Christian God is accurate, right?

As this topic has always been of interest to me I thought I'd check out the thread. I too, was unable to vote as I have felt confusion since my son's pre-k days as to where we should send him to school. My husband and I are practicing Roman Catholics both products of Catholic schools and so it was extremely difficult to make the decision to send our son (now in 8th grade) to public school which we did. Our small parish school had decreasing numbers and teachers and has since closed. It offered no technology, foreign language or music program. The brand new public school offered all that and much more in academics and was rated in the top 10% in technology education in the country but it offered no religion which we felt was important to us as Catholics.

Now that he is graduating in a few months and I can look back in hindsight I see that we made the right choice but also see that the public school was wonderful with its early childhood program up until about 4th grade. As the children aged I felt the school did not focus as much on some values (tolerance and diversity mostly) and character (good citizenship type of stuff) education which I saw in the early grades and was pleased with. Our son complains about the kids morals and choices and immaturity and how the teachers look the other way and don't acknowledge bad behaviors. There have been many times when I've considered home schooling and even looked into curriculum options out of sheer frustration with the public school's lack of discipline at times.

He is the product of Scouting since Tiger Cubs and CCD (Religious Education for Catholics who go to public school) and parents who have taught him his moral values and been involved in his religious education from the start. My son is also a product of the public school system and has done well but I believe would not have done as well had we not supplemented his life with exposure to so many other ideals.

Now we face high school. We have decided to send him to a Catholic high school and the main reason is religion but there are many smaller reasons. Our public high school is overcrowded (2000+) due to wild housing development. It is also having a roach and mouse epidemic. Our son, after exploring 6 different high school options, said he felt more comfortable to be in a school where he could express his religious convictions freely and be with people who were of the same faith. He liked the idea of uniforms with suit jackets and neckties required. (Maybe that comes from wearing his Scout uniform for so many years!) He liked that there was a chapel where he could pray - just an overall sense that it felt more like home. So he is excitedly looking forward to high school. As far as the tuition - I wish we had vouchers but that's another thread... my husband has taken on a part time job to help with that. So, it is a sacrifice but we feel well worth it.

The school has a band, technology and swim team and foreign language and all the things he is interested in. So, for our family it will take a combination of public and private school to educate our son. If things go sour for some reason ( I am not blind to the fact that drugs will be an issue as chippewa29 has pointed out) I know that home schooling is always another option for me and I would considered doing it in a heartbeat if I thought that it was the best thing for my child.

I salute all you home schoolers out there. Yes, it is a personal choice that has so many factors to weigh and each of us can only do what we feel is right for our children. How to educate our children is one of the toughest challenges we face as parents. I thank God for the BSA and the wonderful education it has offered to my son and me as well. A lot of BSA material you won't find in public or private schools. It is just another facet of education for our boys. Good luck to all of you in whatever choice you make.

How to educate our kids is the toughest challenge we face as parents.

Dan,

IMHO rooster likes to debate!

Guilty as charged. Still, I won't debate just for the sake of it. I debate issues that matter to me.

OGE,

So the debate will be over whose view of the Christian God is accurate, right?

There are fundamental differences between denominations that are worth debating. I intend to show SagerScout two such differences. It's my hope and prayer that she will consider them. If, in the name of unity, we always ignore these "minor" differences, eventually we'll stray so far from the truth, it will be impossible to recognize the two as the same God. Perhaps my perspective is wrong. Nevertheless, we should both examine the bible and pray to determine God's Word (truth).

SagerScout,

Yes, the Messiah was male when on this earth but his human form, even resurrected, was only temporarily on earth, while his eternal self is divine and beyond our language's descriptions.

In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

Matthew 5:16

Jesus, when referencing God, always used the male gendered noun - Father . This is one example, but the Gospel is filled with references to God as Father. Never did Jesus use the female gendered nouns or imply that anyone should. If Jesus has no problem identifying the gender of God, why should his followers? And for what purpose would anyone introduce this ambivalence when the Gospel is clear.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Yes, I would not disagree. After all, you are quoting the bible. Only God can judge. Only God can determine the fate of his children. However, take this verse in context with the rest of God's Word. While we are not called to judge God's children, we are called to speak out against sin. If we speak out against murderif we label it as a sin, are we passing judgment? The Old and New Testaments condemn homosexuality. If we speak out against homosexualityif we label it a sin, are we passing judgment?

We, brothers and sisters in Christ, can speak out against sin and not pass judgment (in terms of eternal condemnation). I do not wish to seek God's authority or power.

Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

1 Corinthians, 9 - 11

Mommascout,

Obviously, you have given much thought to your children's education. One comment - If I were able to send my child to a private school, I probably would choose a Catholic school. I appreciate their no non-sense approach. From my understanding, they focus on the basics (reading, writing, and arithmetic), work with parents, and don't tolerate disruptors in the classroom or anywhere else during school hours.