Now that we disagree, can we agree?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I was reading this thread, y'all have added a page! IMHO, you folks need to get off the computer and go Scouting with your Troops/Packs/Crews! Go camping, go hiking, go jump in a lake! :) With the proper Safe Swim Defense guidelines in place, of course!

Just a little levity to lighten the mood.

While I was reading this thread, y'all have added a page! IMHO, you folks need to get off the computer and go Scouting with your Troops/Packs/Crews! Go camping, go hiking, go jump in a lake!

I have only been here a for a couple of weeks, and I, too, have noticed that several people seem to have quite a bit of time on their hands. Let's see, Monday night I went to a meeting of a school district committee to evaluate the need for new facilities; Tuesday night I went to a school board meeting; last night I had a pack and den leaders' meeting; tonight I went to pick up the Pinewood Derby trophies to be given out at the blue and gold dinner and drop off some materials to be used for a ceremony to my Cubmaster; and tomorrow night is the blue and gold dinner.

Makes it tough to keep up with responding to the posts. Congratulations on reaching page 10 though, everybody.

scoutmom are you also from south of the Mason Dixon Line. I noticed you used y'all. Kentucky myself.

Let's see Monday - Troop Meeting, Tuesday - Committee Meeting, Wednesday - Religious Education for my 4 boys, Thursday - Blue and Gold Banquet, Friday Saturday and Sunday Woodbadge training. How come I get the feeling that I'm not unique among the posters to these forums.

I'd love to jump in a lake, but with my low body fat, I'd hit the hypothermia stage before my behind would smack the ice. Would an indoor pool be a comparable substitute? I don't want to change any requirements! How `bout instead we just sing?

This is a repeat after me song.

"The other day" repeat

"I met a bear" repeat

"Out in the woods" repeat

"Oh way out there" repeat

Animatedly, cjmiam

Thursday night Commissioners Corner, Friday night Blue and Gold guest speaker, Saturday AM Cub Leader Traing, Saturday afternoon through Sunday morning troop campout with my son, Sunday afternoon Friends of Scouting Presentation, Monday Troop Meeting, Tuesday Friends of Scouting Presentation, Wednesday Key Three meeting, Thursday Cub Roundtable, Friday and Saturday off, Sunday Eagle Court of Honor, Monday Troop Meeting......

I like the turn this thread has taken!!

and I, too, have noticed that several people seem to have quite a bit of time on their hands. Oh my, the nerve of those several people, how dare they have more time than me. Lets see here, last Friday before the close I went long 1K shares of GE at 38.12 and sold Monday at 39.00 also right before the close, that evening I made dinner early and then took #1 son to our wrestling practice until 8:30. Tuesday I placed a limit order on SWFT for 21.00 and the price never reached my bid so did have a lot of time that day but we had our seeding meeting for the upcoming championships and I didnt get home till 11:45, Mrs. Dedicated Dad was not happy. Wednesday I sold short 1K share SWFT at 22.60 and wound up sleeping with it, not my usual practice, then I made leftovers, went to wrestling practice with #1 son and then dropped him off for his BSA meeting and then went to a late business dinner for my wifes firm. Thursday I bought to cover SWFT at 21.82 just before close then had weight practice with #1 son, then made dinner again for Mrs. Dedicated Dad and took the night off. Today, Im putting in a limit order on TOO to sell short at 31.89, well see if it hits my ask, and tonight wrestling practice till 8:30 with #1 son and movies from block buster after that. Saturday, #1 son has Emergency Preparedness merit badge training, Im going with, they didnt have that one when I was a scout. Sunday, no church, wrestling championships start at 7:30 till? Anyway, Ive got too much time on my hands to be writing this, better go now to do my womens work and clean the house. :)

cj, I do so love your songs and I have to say my very favorite is My Country, Tis of The. Its been long enough that I couldnt begin to remember the last stanza and how much it means to me, thank you for singing it. Since youve got so much time on your hands would you mind singing it in its entirety?

The 13th Point: A Scout(er) is Busy.

cj: Do your Scouts sing? Mine are too young and embarassed or too old and way too cool to do so with any enthusiasm. Got any tips?

scoutmom: Thanks.

Dedicated Dad: Three observations.

An opportunity to stretch the mind in a different direction should always be savored. Thanks.

Flagellating an expired equine is rarely productive. Can be addictive, though.

Here's one I think we can both sign onto:

"With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive . . ".

Back to my small pond.

DD says about LBP-

So what youre saying is that while on a scouting trip and he encountered evil he would be cheerful when he thwarted the perpetrator?

Well yes, I think so. Wouldn't cheerful service apply? :)

By everyone descriptions I think I have more free time than anyone on the board. (at least until the baby comes) I guess I'd better post more often. Stay tuned to the camping forum, more backpacking info soon.

Well Im happy you all like my singing. I think I know about 100 or so camp songs by heart. Thats what 10 years on staff will do to ya (well, when we had extra time on our hands at least :) I always found it funny- Scouts would come to camp and at first most of the new to camp kids wouldnt sing. It was only after they realized that everyone else was singing that they too joined in.

My Scouts sing only when I lead them. None of them break out in song if you will I think its too bad too. Some very memorable times are through song. Tips on getting kids to sing??? Yeah, learn some fun repeat after me songs. Most of them dont require much musical ability- just memorization. Then, when youre hiking, trying to get a fire lit, during a campfire, in the car, in the latrine, just break out in song. If its fun, and something that doesnt require a lot of skill theyll join in. Heres a trick, when youre at a camp with other troops and sitting around your campfire, tell them you want them to sing so loud that every single troop will hear them. I guarantee that will be a challenge theyll want to live up to!

Far Away??? I bet you mean Yellow Ribbon.

Well, thats too is a repeat after me song. Im going to sing the unedited version. You all sing with me now.

In her hair she wore a yellow ribbon repeat

She wore it in the springtime and in the month of May repeat

And if you asked her why the heck she wore it repeat

She wore it for that GI that was far far away repeat

Far away repeat

Far away repeat

All She wore it for that GI that far far away"

Around the block she pushed the baby carriage repeat

She pushed it in the springtime and in the month of May repeat

And if you asked her why the heck she pushed it repeat

She pushed it for that GI that was far far away

Far away repeat

Far away repeat

All She pushed it for that GI that was far far away

Behind the door her daddy kept a shotgun repeat

He kept it in the springtime and in the month of May repeat

And if you asked him why the heck he kept it repeat

He kept it for that GI that was far far away repeat

Far away repeat

Far away repeat

All He kept it for that GI that was far far away

Animatedly, cjmiam

The prettiest girl, (repeat)

I ever saw,(repeat)

was sippin' ci- (repeat)

der through a straw (repeat)

(repeat verse)

I asked her if,(repeat)

she'd show me how,(repeat)

to sip some ci- (repeat)

(repeat verse)

So cheek to cheek (repeat)

And jaw to jaw (repeat)

we sipped some ci- (repeat)

der through that straw (repeat)

(repeat verse)

Then all at once (repeat)

That straw did slip (repeat)

I sipped some ci-(repeat)

der from her lips (repeat)

(repeat verse)

Now twenty-seven kids (repeat)

all call me pa (repeat)

from sippin' ci- (repeat)

(repeat verse)

The moral of (repeat)

this little tale (repeat)

is sip your ci- (repeat)

der from a pail (repeat)

(repeat verse-end)

ScouterPaul: Sorry to dissappoint, I'm from NJ. But, I lived in the South for about 9 years and some of the words still pop out. Like Hey instead of Hi and y'all. I'm fixin' ta carry my Mama down to the Wal-Mart.

cjmiam: quit bragin about that low body fat thing! I should have such a problem!

bigbeard: Your welcome. BTW, I like what you have to say.

In regards to everyone's busy schedules, riddle me this: How do I manage to attend a work related conference at one end of the state and also manage to make Roundtable at the opposite end of the state all in the same day?

scoutmom - With the power invested by myself I do hereby make you a Southerner. I graduated High School (so many years ago) in Conn.

I just got back from 3 days of Wood Badge Training and am I ever pumped up!! I really like the tone of the recent posts.