Just where do we stand?

A little sensitive??

I was merely suggesting that if we want to know the opinion of the people who are actually in the organization and doing all the work to make the organization run...Maybe we should ask them.

I'd like to know what my fellow scouters think...not NAMBLA's position. And not the position of someone who is not even part of the organization.

While non-scouters are certainly welcome to their opinion I would like to know where SCOUTERS stand. If that means proving that I am a scouter so be it. If that doesn't sit well with outsiders who simply want to troll...well, that's life.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the poll If Avowed Gays were let in Boy Scouts I would STAY. Not because I disagree with the current policy, but because it would subtract from the boys program. If you stay active, you can make sure the program runs the way you want it to. National guides the program but SM's & ASM's run the program with lots of help from the committee. Just my two cents.

Geez, I really wanted to know the opinions of the people who frequent this board -- Scouters and parents of Scouts. I voted I would stay. Ironically I was betting I would be in the minority, but the person who "threw" the results was in what I thought was the "majority". Funny or sad?

I saw on one article that BSA says 30% of adults involved in scouting say homosexuals should be allowed. I wish I could see the whole story behind that study. Of the other 70%, how many say NO and how many just don't know. And how many think it should be a local option. I'm not saying I know the answer to what the results would be, see how wrong I was about THIS poll!

Oh, maybe some of you can tell me if this is a misquote or just upsets you, but I read that the head of BSA said if the membership numbers drop low enough then he would have the issue reconsidered. That bothers me, and I don't even agree with the guy. Does it mean it is about numbers and money? I feel if ONE boy is reached with my efforts then it is all worthwhile. If you agree with the policy, don't you feel that it should not be compromised just for the sake of membership numbers? (For some of you, that is a rhetorical question...I can guess your answer..LOL).

By the way, those who I can guess would not compromise for "numbers", I sincerely respect you for standing by your beliefs. I may not agree with you, but I respect you.

I would stay! And so would most of the people that say they wouldn't.

Sctmom,

I think you've got it, it is about the numbers and the money. I have read many of your posts and you have a very open mind that can see what is real. The only threat that national sees in gays is the loss og the LDS troops and other troops chartered to churches that take the "anti-gay" stance.

Dear Khepera:

I am an honest person. I try to always be Scoutlike. I have posted many times on these boards and before you start making accusations I strongly recommend that you find out more about me. I am not afraid of any results, because I am confident in the Scouting program. I am confident in America. You also seemed to forget that I voted the same way you voted. Just what is it I want for the Boy Scouts? Sir if you had any clue what my experiences have been, you would not be questioning what I hope for in the Scouting program.

All that set aside. You deliberately made a concerted effort to skew the results of this poll. Having a degree in communication, I am very familiar with what corrupts polling data. And you have corrupted it. Shear numbers have nothing to do with accuracy. However, your sample demographics have everything to do with it. Let me illustrate more clearly.

Dear Democratic Party: We want to know who should be president of the United States. Because you are such a large group we thought you would be an excellent group to ask. Please let us know your response ASAP so we can swear her in. Thank you

In essence that is what you did when you posted this survey on FreeRepublic. You asked a specific group that you knew would answer the way you wanted them to. That was not what we hoped for in this poll. I think we all know what certain political groups believe. I am a conservative, highly in favor of any group promoting family values and I listen to Rush every day. Hes down at the Pro Bowl- lucky guy. However, I am also very concerned about people trying to influence public opinion in a deceitful way.

My comments about Janet Reno were meant as a joke. I often add humor to my postings.

I thank you and all the folks that support our program so strongly. However, please remember that the core foundations of our program include honesty and integrity. We dont want to win by cheating.

Please also let me add that even though I said that I would leave the program, I DO NOT consider that a win for Scouting. Our leaders are the most dedicated, caring, and well-trained citizens that our youth could ever interact with. I did note that while I would leave the BSA I would still continue to provide the same type of program that I have offered through the BSA. "To instill values in young people and help them make ethical choices over their lifetime." The values of which are of course found in the Oath and Law.

Just wanted to make that clear.

Sometimes its hard to tell when people are being humorous on a post especially when you do not have a history with that person. Im sorry if I misunderstood your reference to Janet Reno. Believe me when I tell you there are plenty of liberals and Gays on FreeRepublic who come to debate or sometimes heckle. I would also like to say that there have been numerous problems in the Catholic Church (Im not bashing Catholics so chill out on that) since they have been more open to gays in the church. I do not want to see the BSA having the same problems.

Here are but two examples.

Gay Priest In Spain Urges Tolerance

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/624482/posts

DAs given names of 49 more priests

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/624884/posts

The only threat that national sees in gays is the loss og the LDS troops and other troops chartered to churches that take the "anti-gay" stance.

I think you are sadly mistaken if you think that this is only about membership numbers or money. This is the thought process of a typical political liberal. It really is a matter of principle. Unfortunately, in these days of relativistic values, many people do not understand taking a stand on principle or even why having and teaching values is imporant. In discussions with people from National and at the Council level, I think they understand how important the issue is and they are proud of the stand they are taking as a whole. That is not to say there is not a certain element who is pushing to cave into the humanist agenda, but, fortunately, the majority of the people in charge support standing by our values

I would leave. A homosexual has no place in Scouting.

And to a previous post, any Christian church should have an anti-gay stance if they are truely a Christian church. In that case, not only Scoutint loose the Mormons, they would loose the Christian churches as well.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

Just remember that the bible mentions not only Gays but also talks about their supporters as being no better than they are when it comes time to inherit the kingdom of God. Now I know that Gays and other sexual outlaws do not care what God says or whats in the Bible but thats just the way it is.

If the scouts drop their moral stand they will cease to be. Its as Simple as that. Look to Europe as an example if you need to. So keep your sample as small as you want. Better yet just poll the Gays. You will eventually find a way to justify yourself in your perversion. Of that I am also confident. When you talk about being Scout like just substitute the word Scout for Christ and you are saying the same thing. By inviting others to participate in your poll you are not being dishonest but in keeping the poll to a small select group you will soon convince yourselves that dropping morals is the right thing to do. Those who do not want outside influences are really saying we only want to hear ourselves and not others because we are selfish and want what we want. o you serve yourself or do you serve God. Bow down before the one you serve, Youre going to get what you deserve.

Khepera:

Its not that we arent seeking the support of outside organizations or people.

Further, its not that we want to keep the poll small.

You have absolutely missed the point of this poll.

It was to find out what CURRENT REGISTERED MEMBERS OF THE BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA THINK.

There was no ulterior motive.

Those who do not want outside influences are really saying we only want to hear ourselves and not others because we are selfish and want what we want.

Excuse me, but did you not read the question? How many of you would leave the program? In other words it is rather obvious that you would have to be in the program to leave it And it certainly isnt being selfish to only ask for the opinion of your fellow members. It is being purposeful. Why would it matter what non-members say when they are not the ones that would be leaving the program? You corrupted the data sample and you are trying to justify it by calling anyone that doesnt want more people joining this poll a liberal.

By inviting others to participate in your poll you are not being dishonest but in keeping the poll to a small select group you will soon convince yourselves that dropping morals is the right thing to do.

You have concluded that because I want accurate numbers that I think dropping the morals of the Scouting program is the right thing to do? Ya know, you really need to take a logical reasoning course. If you cant understand that this poll was specifically designed for members of the Boy Scouts of America, inherent by the mere wording of the question, I dont think there is any more point in arguing.