Just where do we stand?

The topic of Gays and Scouting seems to be omnipresent on this forum. Given the amount of current discussion, it might be interesting to see where we all stand on this issue.

I ask everyone to be on their Scouts Honor and vote only once:

If Avowed Gays were let in Boy Scouts I would:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would most likely step out of Scouting or at least the BSA's program. However, I wouldn't stop providing the program to the kids. What would that mean? Probably a lot more fundraisers so we could buy our own liability insurance and a new name. Maybe something like "The Morally Straight Boy Scouts of America that Believe in God and Traditional Family Values". That way no one would mistake my organization for their local shopping club.

I have been a longtime supporter of the BSA. The fact that it is a Christian organization and supports Moral issues is of great interest to me. If the BSA discontinues their moral stand then they will have lost the most important aspect of scouting.

OldGreyEagle: When I posted my response the "no" vote was at 4 and I think I made 5. Unfortunately someone in the last hour has not honored your request to be on their "Scouts Honor". It's too bad too, because I thought it was a neat poll... Maybe the moderator can track down their IP and send them hiking. I hear there are some wonderful trails in Antarctica.

Maybe the moderators will let us know if this is the case. I have more faith in our scouts than to accuse them of cheating without knowing for sure that is the case. I believe they understand and honor the scout code.

Some scouting groups in the World Org. of Scouting now except gays but they have paid a heavy price for this decission. These countries now have several much smaller groups. If the BSA accepts gays into membership (then God will also go) progran will nosedive just like in Europe. Is scouting better for the youth of America the way it is or do we get a 'camp fire" program?

Khepera:

"I have more faith in our scouts than to accuse them of cheating without knowing for sure that is the case. I believe they understand and honor the scout code."

Scouts and Scouters aren't the only ones posting on these boards. Many people come here just to attempt to advance their own agendas. But let's look at the logic and probability shall we? OldGreEagle posted at 5:00 PM and attained a total of 19 votes by 12:12 AM (prime Web hours when people are usually awake). Then between 12:12 AM and 12:47 AM the vote suddenly changed it's 1:3 ratio in favor of Staying in the Boy Scouts (via 19 votes) to a 10:1 not in favor (via 230 votes) when most people are asleep?

I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona that I'd like to sell to anyone that buys those stats. Let's see what Janet Reno has to say about all this!

Well others coming in to vote is not anything like people voting more than once like you accused in your post. Are you hoping to keep the sample small to bolster your agenda? Seems like a good thing that people are participating in the poll. I bet most of them are or have been scouts but thats just a guess.

Why on earth would you want to consult with Janet Reno on anything? Do you think she has credibility? What reason is there to have a poll if your not promoting an agenda? If you do not want to know the answer then it would be best not to ask the question.

G'day CJ,

a link to the poll was posted on the big Free Republic forum, from whence I came. I voted once and it's my guess many other posters from there have done the same. My vote was *against* the proposal to allow overt gay leaders into the BSA.

Regards

Bagheera Byron

Cub Scout Leader

sydney, Australia