[Wisconsin] State Employees Challenging Payroll Donation Policy - Guidelines Do Not Cover Sexual Orientation

OGE, you are not going to find any "unbiased" sites either way. All of them push an agenda of one sort or another, whatever the topic. But if such studies existed, they would be trumpeted far and wide, for they would put "scientific" imprateur onto the big push for "homosexual rights" that is sweeping the country. The lack of them becomes all the more apparant in that light.

Eisely, how many "normal" children exhibit traits of the opposite sex early in life? Before you can assert that these anecdotal memories prove an inborn homosexual "call" you would have to show that others who grew up to be heterosexual did not exhibit these traits. Surely we can all think of people in school who exhibited such, including ourselves in many cases.

Brad

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OGE, you are not going to find any "unbiased" sites either way. Im not sure I agree that NARTH or Exodus is biased though I would concede both have an agenda. If I found OGEs smoking gun independent study, it would surely be on NARTH and the fact is that NARTH uses independent studies for nearly all of their position statements. The simple truth is that people have changed their behavior and this should serve as proof to anyone who wants to find it. The sad thing is that OGE unfortunately is not interested in the truth, he has summarily dismissed NARTH and Exodus without any evidence of bias other than his own opinion. OGE, if you want independent studies here are some, let me know if you need more.

Gabbard, G. (1992). Psychodynamic Psychiatry in the "Decade of the Brain," American Journal of Psychiatry 149, (8), pp. 991-98

Post, R. (1992). Transduction of Psychosocial Stress into the Neurobiology of Recurrent Affective Disorder, American Journal of Psychiatry 148, (8), pp. 999-1010.

Maddox, J. (September 1991). Is Homosexuality Hardwired? Nature 353, p. 13.

E. Coleman et al., "Sexual and Intimacy Dysfunction Among Homosexual Men and Women," Psychiatric Medicine (United States) 10, no. 2 (1992), pp. 257-71.

L. S. Doll et al., "Self-Reported Childhood and Adolescent Sexual Abuse Among Adult Homosexual Bisexual Men," Child Abuse and Neglect 16, no. 6 (1992), pp. 855-64.

D. M. Greenberg, J. M. Bradford, and S. Curry, "A Comparison of Sexual Victimization in the Childhoods of Pedophiles and Hebephiles," Journal of Forensic Science (United States) 38, no. 2 (March 1993), pp. 432-36.

Eisold, B., 1998, "Recreating mother: The consolidation of 'heterosexual' gender identification in the young son of homosexual men," American J. of Orthopsychiatry 68,3:433-442.

Saakvitne, K., 1998, "Recreating mother: A commentary on the case analysis," American J. of Orthopsychiatry 68,3:443-446.

Biller, H. (1993) Fathers and Families: Paternal Factors in Child Development, Westport, CT: Auburn House.

An agenda is what leads to bias. We all have it, to a point, even those claiming "no bias."

But you point is well taken, I probably could have said, "You aren't going to find any sites without an agenda," and it would have made my point better.

Brad

• 2 weeks later...

Strange how you don't want to recognize paganism but you sure like to "borrow" traditions from Native Americans. You realize they are pagans, right?

Also, there is nothing in BSA policy stating pagans are not allowed, it just say a believe in God, which god (or goddess) is your choice.

Pagan does not mean atheist.

• 4 months later...

OGE,

Thanks for directing me here. It does define some of the issues. Reading thu, it occurs that a lot of the perceived 'evil' of the lifestyle would evaporate if gay unions (marriages, domestic contracts, whatever) were permitted. Promiscuity seems a natural result when society at large will not acknowledge you.

It will be fascinating to see what happens over in Europe - didn't some country legalize same-sex unions? - in a decade or two. Less promiscuity, or more, or the same? Less homosexuality, or... well, you get it.

Fascinating lab-at-large.