The issue that never dies - now San Diego

My comment about Communion discrimination and suing was totally tongue-in-cheek. In the Methodist church we take Communion too, but the guidelines are different than in the Catholic church. I completely respect the Church's right to offer their program (Communion) in the manner in which they believe.

Outside individuals, non-members, have no "right" to force a group to alter their program. Who am I, a non-member, to question or criticize Catholic beliefs and the Catholic program?

I just have a basic problem with non-members of any organization pushing to have the organization's policies altered to suit their beliefs. Should the members of the local Dog Owners Society welcome a cat owner that hates dogs? And change their program so it doesn't discriminate against cat owners? Get real. People gather together and form organizations with missions and visions that they all agree on. People with different views form their own groups. Being tolerant of another group is one thing, but must we blend the two?

I believe the bottom line question that needs to be answered is "Would Scouting be stronger and would we build boys into better men by admitting gay leaders? Would Scouting be stronger if we admitted agnostic boys and leaders?" If the answer is "YES", then let's change the policy and welcome them with open arms.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one, believe the answer is NO.

FScouter, you make some excellent points about private organizations and the views of non-members being forced on the existing group. Frankly, I believe this is why so many churches no longer stand on the firm ground they once occupied (figuratively speaking). They have allowed too many non-believers to become members. More to the point, if BSA is going to remain the organization we trust and love, than it's current members need to stand strong and fight these attempts by outsiders. Judging by this web site, it appears that the organization will continue to remain in "good hands". I just hope that the posters on this board represent the majority of Scouters in BSA.

from Dedicated Dad in a previous post on this thread:

Mitchell Barnes-Wallace cannot join because his parents are lesbians, whom the Scouts consider morally unclean.

Is this true? I believe Mitchell can register, but his parents cannot register as leaders because of their openly homosexual relationship. That is not to say there would not be some backlash against Mitchell by his fellow scouts because of his unorthodox parental situation, and there would probably be some rudeness or open hostility against the parents in most communities.

I think it would be mean spirited, counter productive, and unfair to any youth applicant to deny membership to the youth because of behavior by his or her parents. Unless the parents involved make a big deal of their relationship, how is anyone to know? I haven't heard anyone in this forum, even the most vociferous opponents of homosexuality, suggest that BSA should have a sex police asking questions about adult volunteers' sexual practices. These things become an issue when they move out of the privacy of the bed room into the newspapers, and, in case you hadn't noticed, it isn't BSA that puts these things in the papers. These stories usually originate with the individuals themselves.

I was not the first regular participant in this forum to make the comparison, but I look at homosexuality in this context in much the same way I look at alcoholism. A reformed alcoholic could in fact be a wonderful example for youth, but I don't want a practicing alcoholic anywhere close to scout leadership. Likewise, I wouldn't deny membership to a youth just because a parent may be an alcoholic. Having such a youth in scouting may be a path to recovery for such a parent.

ScampMitchell Barnes-Wallace cannot join because his parents are lesbians, whom the Scouts consider morally unclean. Is this true? No, not really, this quote was from a hit piece written by the ACLU if Im not mistaken. Mitchell would certainly be welcome to join the BSA provided he lived by the Oath and Laws. I can tell you I would do everything in my power, as a leader, to protect him from any antagonism or worse. Its a shame that these people would prop up a young child to further their political cause. Those who practice perversion will stop at nothing to justify their iniquity. there would probably be some rudeness or open hostility against the parents in most communities.This should never welcome or tolerated in the Boy Scouts, wrong behavior goes both ways.

Eisely

A reformed alcoholic could in fact be a wonderful example for youth, but I don't want a practicing alcoholic anywhere close to scout leadership. With all due respect, I wouldnt be comfortable with any leader exposing his/her former deprivation, I however, would welcome his/her concealed experience to support the virtues of the BSA. Likewise, I wouldn't deny membership to a youth just because a parent may be an alcoholic. Having such a youth in scouting may be a path to recovery for such a parent. This, I believe, is one of our goals, not necessarily for the parent, but for the Scout. Praise to you.

I have seen it elsewhere, but I think it missed this list:

It appears the lease was renewed for 25 years, with another 15 year option. Supporters of the Scouts outnumbered detractors something like 2 to 1. The Girl Scout lease was also extended.

Brad