Adults Smoking at Scout Events

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FOG,

I'll have to assume that all the bad things people say about public education is true from their perspective. My experience has been far different. My son's school system seems to be a rarity. His school has a terrific staff of teachers due to the principal. He has a waiting list of teachers who want to work for him. That obviously means that the teachers he currently has are the cream of the crop. They all know their "stuff" and I wouldn't hesitate to ask any of them a question with fear that they would steer me wrong. The shame is that in our state, teachers barely make enough to live off of. They apparently do it out of a love for kids and a dedication to education. Please keep in mind that the majority of memos you get from school are written by underpaid school secretaries without a formal education. All they care about is geting the information passed along to you, not provide a nail biting, page turning novel.

SR540beaver, I share your observation. Our local H.S. actually has several Ph.D. faculty. A couple of others have national recognition in science. The physical facility is old and run-down and some courses are weak, but overall the program is excellent. Physics class, for example, has a great field trip to Six Flags. They do the rides with force meters and get tech specs to calculate the physical characteristics. In chemistry there is a seminar program as good as some at the local college. In biology, they take it to the molecular genetic level. I attribute most of this to demanding parents, though, in addition to great faculty.

Elsewhere in our state, there are schools that conform more to the profiles stated by FOG and others. The strength of a principal can influence a school but ultimately I believe if the public demands and supports good public education, that is what they will get. If not...