Troop Transportation

Can a youth under the age of 18 transport other, non family members, youth under the age of 18 to a troop camping event? In the "guide to safe scouting" it suggests that and adult and permission from all parties concerned is required.

• 3 weeks later...

According to the G2SS there are some exceptions to the 18 yr old rule.

"The driver must be currently licensed and at least 18 years of age. Youth member exception: When traveling to and from an area, regional, or national Boy Scout activity or any Venturing event under the leadership of an adult (at least 21 years of age) tour leader, a youth member at least 16 years of age may be a driver, subject to the following conditions:

Six months' driving experience as a licensed driver (time on a learner's permit or equivalent is not to be counted)

No record of accidents or moving violations

Parental permission granted to the leader, driver, and riders"

I have know idea what a "G2SS" is or where it comes from. Feel free to clarify. As a Scoutmaster, it has always been a rule that Scouts under the age of 18, could NOT drive even themselves, to any TROOP function under any circumstances. Maybe your listed exceptions allows for a 17 year old Scout to drive himself to an OA Ordeal, but I will never allow a Scout under the age of 18 to drive for any Troop function. All of my training, experience, and my common sense may be of years past, but as long as my name is on the BSA required permit for our Troop functions, a Scout under the age of 18 will not be a driver.

Anderson

You can find the regulations in the Guide to Safe Scouting. Go to this link for an on-line version.

http://www.bsa.scouting.org/pubs/gss/gss12.html#a

Here's the first part of the section dealing with automobiles and drivers...

General guidelines are as follows:

1. Seat belts are required for all occupants.

2. All drivers must have a valid driver's license that has not been suspended or revoked for any reason. If the vehicle to be used is designed to carry more than 15 persons, including the driver (more than 10 persons, including the driver, in California), the driver must have a commercial driver's license (CDL).

3. An adult leader (at least 21 years of age) must be in charge and accompany the group.

4. The driver must be currently licensed and at least 18 years of age. Youth member exception: When traveling to and from an area, regional, or national Boy Scout activity or any Venturing event under the leadership of an adult (at least 21 years of age) tour leader, a youth member at least 16 years of age may be a driver, subject to the following conditions:

a. Six months' driving experience as a licensed driver (time on a learner's permit or equivalent is not to be counted)

b. No record of accidents or moving violations

c. Parental permission granted to the leader, driver, and riders

5. Passenger cars or station wagons may be used for transporting passengers, but passengers should not ride on the rear deck of station wagons.