United Way of Green Bay Goes Away

This is becoming an increasingly common story. Personally I don't think scouts should sell out to United Way and I am glad this council stood up. Hopefully they will find replacement funding. Some councils have found that direct donations increase as a result of these disputes.

Scouts, United Way split

The Bay Lakes Council will seek $79,000 from the public instead of United Way of Brown County

By Christopher Clough

News-Chronicle

The Bay Lakes Council of the Boy Scouts of America announced Thursday it is unable to resolve differences in policy with the United Way of Brown County, which provides funds for scouting programs.

Because of the conflict, the council said it will seek other sources of funds for its traditional Cub Scout, Boy Scout and Venturing programs for 2003. An agreement is already in place for the council to receive United Way funding through 2002.

The difference came about when the United Way of Brown County adopted a nondiscrimination policy for its member agencies on April 11. The Boy Scouts do not allow homosexual members or leaders.

The two sides have met several times since then to resolve the situation but were not able to come to an agreement.

"We are trying to work something out," said Dan Platkowski, president of the council's executive board. "But our indication is it's going to take a long time, so we're not taking the risk of not having funding available in 2003.

"We're kind of agreeing to disagree. The Boy Scouts do not want to change their policies, and at present, there's no indication that either party can come to terms."

Toni Loch, president and chief executive officer of the United Way of Brown County, said the agency would look at continuing its funding of nontraditional scouting programs such as Learning for Life, where the discrimination issue doesn't come into play.

"It's acceptable to say neither side changed," she said. "Both have their own beliefs and philosophies. We've agreed that traditional programs will not be eligible for funding, but we'll look for nontraditional programs where we can continue."

She said the agency gave $79,000 to the council this year, which Platkowski said was about 12 to 14 percent of the total funding for the scouts.

Platkowski said the council board began discussing possible scenarios to find new funds about two weeks ago, after a third meeting with the agency on the subject.

"We believed there was some common ground we could get to," he said. "In April, when we first got together, they talked about being different from the Fox Valley United Way (which is also ceasing funding of the council for the same reason). But after the second or third meeting, it became apparent the United Way was not going to change the heart of its new policy."

Thirty-one United Way agencies are located within the geographic boundaries of the council, and the Brown County and Fox Valley agencies are the only ones withholding funding because of the scouts' policy, Platkowski said.

Platkowski said he was disappointed to be part of the council's decision. But he said he bore no bad feelings toward the United Way, a sentiment Loch echoed.

"It's kind of a sad day when someone who's been a partner with you all this time can't be a partner any more because of a disagreement," he said. "I hope the United Way has a successful campaign this year, and I hope the Boy Scouts have a successful campaign."

"We feel we had excellent discussions with them," Loch said. "We really have valued the programs the scouts have done with us."

Each time I see an article on another United Way agency cutting off the Boy Scouts, I get more frustrated that only the Boy Scouts get singled out, and only for gay rights. A review of each United way's policy will show that the agency prohibits discrimination on account of sex, religion, race, etc. But the Boy Scouts are not cut off for sex or religious discrimination, and the reason is that the United Way funds numerous agencies that restrict (i.e. discriminate) on account of sex and religion. Numerous agencies provide assistance only to battered women, women in other forms of crisis, immigrants of certain nationalities, etc. Is this not also discrimination? I suggest that each time a United Way cuts off the Boy Scouts, everyone should review the other agencies funded and the United Way asked to explain its funding of other discriminating organizations. I am not however suggesting that these other agencies be cut off, as they serve their communities well. We just need to recognize that charitable organizations, including the Boy Scouts, do not need to serve every person in the community to be valuable to the community.

Eisely, you are on top of things!

I'm a Scout leader in the Bay-Lakes Council and live in Green Bay. The story is near and dear to me. Fortunately, we have excellent leadership in our Council who wouldn't give in to the United Way of Brown County (Green Bay), nor did they give in to the United Way Fox Cities, which is another well populated area based around Appleton, 30 miles south of Green Bay. All of this occurred because both United Way offices made a new requirement that they expected their member agencies to sign stating that they wouldn't discriminate for any reason. It was aimed, of course, specifically at the Scouts. It's worth stating that there are many more (25+?) United Ways in our Council that, to date, have done nothing, at least publically.

There is a very strong feeling in our area that the Scouts will do just fine in regards to fund raising in spite of breaking ties with the United Way.

For more information, go to:

www.greenbaypressgazette.com

for a front page article on August 17, 2001.

This situation in Green Bay, as also suggeested in other posts, suggests that scouts are being singled out. It would be interesting to know how the requirements "not to discriminate" are being handled by United Way chapters with respect to other participatiing agencies. What about age based discrimination? Gender based discrimination? Race based discrimination? How closely is United Way looking at these things?

I've been told that it's based on discrimination "within" the guidelines. Boy Scouts don't allow girls which is ok, but they can't discriminate within the ranks of the boys. They must be available to ALL boys I believe is the arguement.

Eisely my dear old man.... (well not so old, but dear anyway)

You may have hit on something

Now follow this:

The United Way gives funds to several (and I might add worthwhile) charities founded and administered over by the Catholic Church. Now, as I recall only MALES may become a priest, bishop, cardinal and Pope shutting out females altogether from true leadership positions. I believe that is discrimination!

AND, if a priest is found to be gay, he is no longer allowed to function as a priest. At least not in my neck of the woods. Is this Discrimination Strike two?.

And not to just pick on Catholics, but a few years back didnt an American based religion tell women that they would be better off if they "submitted" to their husbands? I am sure you guys know who I mean, the name escapes right now, isnt that blatant sexism? Does the Unitied Way give them any money?

And why is there a Young Man's Christian Association anyway? I mean each of the first three words are as discriminatory as any I can think of. For equal rights sake I also throw in the YWCA, but I am sure you figured that.

So, why do we have the bulls eye painted on us?

OGE,

You ask why scouting has the bulls eye painted on it. I don't believe in conspiracy theories, but I think the answer is that there is a definite movement to change the way that America looks at homosexuality, along with a variety of other lifestyle issues. Outside of organized religion, scouting is the only movement or organization of national stature that says "no." It is no accident that organized religion gets the same treatment in the media that scouting does. I see the attack on scouting as part of a much broader attack on traditional values in this country. The gay rights movement has seized a dominating position in urban areas in disproportion to its numbers, influencing such things as United Way. They also have succeeded in painting themselves as victims of discrimination, not people who have chosen a certain life style. All this contributes to the negative view of scouting current today.

Only the Roman Catholic Church has achieved the level of vituperation from the gay community that scouting currently enjoys. Were you aware of an incident several years ago when gay activists invaded St. Patrick's cathedral during a mass, went up to the alter, and seized and desecrated the hosts during the communion liturgy? One does not have to be a catholic to find such an action incredibly repugnant. And yet scouters and the Pope enjoy a unique position in the eyes of the American news media as haters, equivalent to the guys who dragged the black man to his death in Texas a few years ago and the people who murdered the young gay college student in Wyoming. How's that for logic?

Once again we find ourselves attempting to apply logic to the thoughts and actions of illogical people.

The bottom line is that most factions don't want to merely be treated just like everyone else (as they say they do.) What they really want is to be treated with special consideration because of the "great injustice" afflicted upon them. They blindly act as if no other group or faction has ever suffered injustice at the hands of others. Usually the ultimate aim of said agitators (who are almost always far removed from the original injustice) is money, an extremely poor balm for wounds to dignity, freedom and self-determination.

Yes, this is a concerted effort on the part of a few small groups to break down the few social mores that American society still has left. They intend to create a society where nothing is "wrong" and everything is "right". They are quick to point out that "as long you are aren't hurting anyone else" it's ok. Yet when faced with any evidence (or arguments) that proves (or attempts to prove) that people are not proverbial islands whos actions never affect another and that we are in fact a tightly woven cloth that when pulled too far one direction streaches all of us out of shape these people attack not with reasonable arguments but with malicious slander, retoric and weasel words.

Look friends, I went to college in the early '90s for a Fine Art degree and I was in class every day for 5 years with people that came from all across the spectrum from radical fringe left to radical fringe right. Take all the kooks and nuts that you hear about on the nightly news and compress that into a classroom for five years and that that is what I was in class with. I spent quite a bit of time debating issues with these folks and trying to understand them and yes beyond a shadow of a doubt they ARE trying to break scouting down and remove our influence on young men.

To quote a newsletter from "Act Out!" a very vocal gay rights group known for highly confrontational demonstrations and If I remember correctly it was the same who defiled the host at St. Patricks Cathederal. "It is time to shut down the boy scout 'Character Factory!'"

Why the bullseye on us? Because no other youth organization has as effective or long lasting of an impact on young men as the Boy Scouts.

While I am in total agreement with the lot of you, I might add that from my perspective, the entire gay community vs. BSA issue is one of having gained a beachhead, and holding it. In their "struggle" to overcome what they perceive as discrimination, the gay community has always sought one or two battles in which they could gain a foothold and finally be seen in the press as the innocent victims. Here, they have found, with the assistance of the media and the ACLU, just that foothold, just that beachhead in their "battle" for "acceptance". It matters not to them at all that by their actions there is always the possibility that one very good organzation may suffer irreparable damage. That's just collateral damamge to them...part of the struggle...they really have only one target. Everything hurt along the way is just collateral damage. And they have gained allies along the way. The United Way has become very important allies for the gay community. They have given legitimacy to the potential destruction of good in the name of what they see as equality.

Damned the torpedoes, full speed ahead. The BSA is just a convenient target that happened to be in the way at the right time for them. And their armada of allies seems to grow daily. And we will continue to suffer direct hits in various places. Hopefully, the damage will not be so great as to sink the ship.

But what really saddens me, is the belief that if the BSA was to suffer irreparable damage, and the ship was to sink, the collective concern of the population in this country would be underwhelming. The pessimist in me comes to call here, for I believe we are in the midst of a battle where the only ones who truly care about survival are us.

Mr. Eisely,

There is one other organization under attack for its stance on homosexuality aside from BSA and organized religion (actually any religion that doesn't endorse homosexuality). It's called the U.S. military. Fortunately, they have stuck their guns as well. Without going into too much depth, because I know not everyone cares for this discussion (nor do I have the energy this week to participate myself), but I'm convinced the effort to "change the way America looks" goes beyond the homosexual community. Many - gays, atheists, feminists, even PETA, hate BSA. We don't believe in their agenda, so we must be altered to their liking, or be eliminated. If you believe BSA is a worthwhile organization for your sons (or anyone's son for that matter), we need to stand up and shout these people down.

JM I completely dissagree with your last paragraph. We have more supporters than we realize. It's just that our detractors get all the ink and air time. Sensationalism is considered good news and the more outrageous the better. Most of the people who support us are busy going about the business of being productive citizens who do not want to bother others. Our people don't have the time to be radicals they are busy quitely making a difference in the lives they touch. In every instance that funding has been pulled from us by a subverted agency our supporters have more than compensated and typically exceeded what was removed from us.

Heartwarming story time-

One of my Scout fathers just retired from the Navy last Firday and at his retirement ceremony he felt compelled to mention in his farewell address that his eldest son had just attained Eagle. The response of the crowd was AMAZING. I have never seen ANYTHING like it. There was probably 150 people in the Base Chapel. As soon as the words came out of his mouth the applause came like a crack of lighting followed by a heavy downpour. It was sudden, sharp, loud and entheusiastic. Everyone was on their feet. I tell you folks, I will never again question if we have any support. It is there and it is strong.

This adversity is not weakening us. It is making us stronger. We just need to be sure that we never respond in kind or adopt the methods of our detractors.

Mike,

I can only hope that you're right, and the general lack of enthusiastic support and concern for the organization that I find in my area is dead wrong. But it is out there, whether we care to admit it or not. Perhaps if the demise of the organization was imminent, unknown hoards of supporters would clammer from the woodwork. I would hope so. But my general perception is that the survival of the organization among those not involved is somewhat NOT...on the top of the list of important things for many.

This entire situation involving the Supreme Court has caused many people to become frustrated. I am no different from many of you in that regard. I believe in the Scouting program and what it does to reinforce good morals, good character and leadership skills that boys of today need to become outstanding men. What gets me upset the most is seeing people speak negatively about Scouting when it provides so much to the community in terms of positive programs for young boys.

What we need to do as a group is continue to speak positively about Scouting, be proud of Scouting and continue to handle any negative news in a positive fashion, relying on each other for support. What we can't do is fall into the trap of negativity, allowing the naysayers "fertilizer" to add to their movement.

There is no way that the Scouting program is going to go away. The support for Scouting through FOS and other fundraising will provide Scouts in our area with the funds we need. We don't have to ignore what's happening outside of our control or stick our head in the sand about what other people think. This entire process, while uncomfortable for most of us, will make the entire BSA stronger if we continue to provide strong programs and outstanding adult leadership.

JM, I hope I'm right too. But yes you are right, apathy among the general populace is discouraging. But frankly if people can't be bothered to take a stand with us then I certainly don't expect them to take a stand against us. In my view the apathetic are a non-issue.