And you probably thought you had heard everything ....

News Release:

PETA ASKS BOY SCOUTS TO "DE-MERIT" BADGES PROMOTING CRUELTY TO ANIMALS

For Immediate Release:

March 15, 2001

Dawn Carr - 757-622-7382

Irving, Texas - In a letter faxed today to Boy Scouts President Milton H. Ward, PETA asks that the Boy Scouts of America live up to its wholesome image by retiring merit badges that encourage young people to maim and kill animals. PETA charges that by offering "Fishing" and "Fish and Wildlife Management" merit badges, the Scouts teach boys that hooking, suffocating, and killing fish is acceptable.

PETA asserts that fishing is inconsistent with the Boy Scout law, which states, "A Scout understands there is strength in being gentle. He treats others as he wants to be treated. He does not hurt or kill harmless things without reason."

Fish have a neurochemical system like humans, the brain capacity to experience fear and pain, and sensitive nerve endings in their lips and mouths. They begin to die slowly of suffocation the moment they are pulled out of the water. And angling doesnt hurt just fish. Countless birds, turtles, and other animals suffer debilitating injuries after swallowing fish hooks or becoming entangled in fishing line.

Desensitizing children to the suffering of others is a dangerous lesson. According to FBI profilers, the American Psychiatric Association, law enforcement officials, and child advocacy organizations, cruelty to animals is a warning sign commonly seen in people who eventually direct violence toward humans.

"In an era of school shootings and hate crimes, it is folly to encourage young boys to harm innocent animals," says PETAs Dawn Carr. "The Boy Scouts are supposed to be compassionate role models, not bloodthirsty fish killers."

You're absolutely correct!! I did think I had heard it all, but this one takes the cake.

Now let's see, in order for us to be completely PC (politically correct) in this charged atmosphere, perhaps we should look into any merit badges having something to do with animals. Do dogs get upset when they're being trained? Are their feelings being hurt? By virtue of that pain and suffering, should we no longer encourage Scouts to raise and train dogs? How about any merit badges having to do with farm animals? Eventually these animals may be slaughtered. Horrors? Should we no longer even mention animal farming to scouts? And, oh Lord, here's one PETA missed altogether...Insect Study! Imagine if they understood that scouts have to collect these creatures. kill them, and "pin" them in a collection box!!!

I couldn't sleep a wink last night, tossing and turning, and envisioning the next headline...

SCOUTING TRAINS AMERICA'S YOUTH TO BECOME HOMOPHOBIC MASS MURDERERS

Perhaps, with a bow to the ACLU....

SCOUTING TRAINS AMERICA'S YOUTH TO BECOME RELIGIOUS FANATIC HOMOPHOBIC MASS MURDERERS

In contemplating PETA's request of Boy Scouting, I seriously reflected upon all other groups critical of us, and concluded that I must do as requested and celebrate diversity. The diversity that I will celebrate is to honor the other PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals). The fishing merit badge will need to be emphasized at our independent summer camp this year. New Dutch oven menus will be explored. And our traditional stop at a Dairy Queen on our return from Scout outings will now require the purchase of a cheeseburger (need both beef and dairy products!). Celebrating diversity is tough, but we need to do it "for the children."

Because of my commitment to celebrating diversity, I look forward to receiving an ACLU award in the coming year.

Pass the tartar sauce please.

I'm sorry this is mean but I couldn't resist.

Hey I forgot that I read a story of a mean Scout who repopulated a local lake with fish that led to the repopulation of other wild life that led to ... How cruel!

Isn't life interesting?

PETA is by no means limited to fish. Watch for them in or near public schools with their program designed to teach children not to drink milk or use other dairy products. The irony is that groups like this could not exist without some prerequisites found in a capitalist, free (relatively) society: Wealth and affluence gives us the free time to pursue non-income producing activities. Some choose Scouting. Some opt for PETA. What defies logic and understanding is that the PETA crowd and their fellow travellers (Earthfirst, Earth Liberation Front etc.) would have us return to hardscrabble existence without regard for the consequences.

As a hunter education instructor, avid hunter and fisherman, and lover of meat on the table, I also know that hunters have spent more money on wildlife than ALL the "anti"s put together.

It is depressing that these people have never taken their arguments to their logical conclusion (with very few exceptions). The only way to do as they want is to destroy the entire human population. A few antihunters have actually taken to shooting at hunters during hunting season.

They condemn leather, so wear synthetics. Of course they are made from oil, and oil is to be banned.

We cannot plant cotton because it disrupts the ecosystem, and we cannot cut down trees to use for the same reason. Hmm There goes all their clothes and papers.

Greenpease uses old ships, and a lot of fuel oil, to fight fishing. Peta and HSUS wants to ban all farming, so forget wool.

Can someone tell me what is left?

Paul Johnson

As a hunter education instructor, avid hunter and fisherman, and lover of meat on the table, I also know that hunters have spent more money on wildlife than ALL the "anti"s put together.

It is depressing that these people have never taken their arguments to their logical conclusion (with very few exceptions). The only way to do as they want is to destroy the entire human population. A few antihunters have actually taken to shooting at hunters during hunting season.

They condemn leather, so wear synthetics. Of course they are made from oil, and oil is to be banned.

We cannot plant cotton because it disrupts the ecosystem, and we cannot cut down trees to use for the same reason. Hmm There goes all their clothes and papers.

Greenpease uses old ships, and a lot of fuel oil, to fight fishing. Peta and HSUS wants to ban all farming, so forget wool.

Can someone tell me what is left?

Paul Johnson