Committee Chairman--Bad Mouthing Troop

To the Great and all powerfull forum:

My committee chairman who currently serves a dual role with the Webelo's of a cub pack is bad monthing his Troop that he is Chairman over. He complains that the menues are poor...(insight) this is a new troop. The boys are learning. Meals are not very advanced yet due to cooking skills. Full rounded breakfast...boys already have found out this is really more work than they would like to do. Lunch is sandwiches..CC does not like this wants hot meal. Dinners are easy to not so easy...One patrol eats stake, baked potatoe, etc. (I'll eat with them anytime) other patrol served it self beenie winnies, and has made more detailed...form noodles and meatballs with green beans to chilie.

Note: CC is invited to go camping every month with troop and to bring his son (2nd year Webelo)so far they have declined 8 times out of 9 campouts...pluss he declined attending troop family night at summer camp.

This troop goes camping every month. This troop has 16 registured scouts. 14 to 16 go camping everytime. The SPL and ASPL run the troop with some advise form the side sometimes (when things get tight--disapline--tasks follow through). Sure the meetings seem a out of control...they are loud too. There are more incontrol now than they were 9 months ago at the start of the troop.

CC telling other packs and other scouters this troop is falling apart...I don't know of very many troops this size with 4 assistant scoutmasters--ACTIVE--who attend every meeting and camping trip...pluss 3 other committee members who do thier job...advancement, fundraising, transportation. We have always have 4-5 for board of review...with other non scouters (adults). Parents mostly and committee members. We have what I think is great family support, I always see the boys parents. They always help. We have raised enough money to provide tents, cooking equip., and some extra gear for all patrols and scouts including the leadership in 9 months. We have more stuff than some troops collect in 3 years.

80% of the Troop is second class and will be first class within the first year....Sounds like we are falling apart. Of the remaining aprox. 3 scouts...one lacks is board of review for second class and the other 2 are new (two months).

Enough going on...Our CC is really spreading the bad word...anyone got any input on dealing with this guy. The COR is not involved nor wants to be. ---This is a Check---to see what others may think. Because of the seriousness of this I want to keep my ducks in a row. Thanks for your imput.

Before I give my advice, this is what I understand you to be saying:

1) You have a young, inexperienced troop that is very active and has a good amount of adult help.

2) The boys are making some mistakes, but they are improving.

3) Your CC, for whatever reason (none given as far as I can tell), has decided to spread the word that your troop is inexperienced and makes lots of mistakes. And, apparently, is neglecting to mention to others that the troop is very active and slowly maturing.

Now for my advice -

1) Call the CC and confirm that he is spreading "the bad word" about your troop. Perhaps this is just a rumor. Don't confront him until he confirms that he is indeed publicly criticizing the troop.

2) If he is guilty of this behavior, confront him in committee. Don't go it alone. Ask him, "Why hasn't he expressed his opinion in committee? What advice does he have to offer, if any? How does it benefit the troop to air its dirty laundry publicly?"

3) If he concedes that "perhaps" he has been approaching "the problem" wrong, then I would try to work things out with him (even though, it doesn't really sound like there is a problem).

4) If he digs in, and adamantly refuses to change his ways, I would gather the adult leadership (hopefully it's a majority - not that it has to be) and ask the COR to take your concern to the powers-to-be within the Charter Organization. That is to say, I would go through the proper channels and seek this person's removal from the position of CC. Ask your CO to find someone who truly has the boys interests at heart.

Obviously, if feeder packs believe your troop is dying, the troop will not grow in numbers. I cannot imagine any family wanting to send their boy to a troop, knowing that the headman-in-charge disapproves of the program and publicly states so. The CC either has to change his ways, or you should seek his removal.

Roster7's advice is sound. I also would suggest discussing this with your unit commissioner, if there is one. That person should attend your committee meetings as a disinterested outsider until this gets resolved. To offset the damage with your feeder pack, you need to set up some positive publicity in the pack about your activities.

Good luck.

P.S. If the COR refuses to "get involved" (God knows why he volunteered for the job), then find out who is the IH (Institutional Head) of your Chartering Organization and try to set up an appointment with him. Note, the IH has authority over the COR. If they are one in the same person, you may be S.O.L. If they are not, then hopefully the IH will take more of an interest than your COR.

I can't imagine how I'd react if my CC tried to influence patrol menus -- has yours read the Troop Committee Guidebook? Mine has told me repeatedly: "You take care of the program; all we do is help you make it happen".

I think all the other advice is great; I'd underscore talking to him one-on-one. There's almost always 2 sides to a story, with the truth in between somewhere...

KS

I like Roosters advice. Very sound.

BUT ...........

If I found out he was in fact badmouthing the Troop, I would sit him down with my ASM's & committee members & ask him what his problem is? If he dug in, I would tell him his services are no longer needed & would take the necessary steps to have him removed from the Troop. If he backs down & is truely sorry for his verbal attacks I would ask him to step down as CC & take on a lesser role.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

No comments on what procedure to follow but given there is damage I think you need to deliberately target the areas damaged. Go and visit the feeder packs etc and then get some exchange involvement. See if your Scouts can run an activity with them and if this works invite the older boys over for a night with your Troop.

I find my feeder pack preffers that I take only a few Scouts rather than the whole Troop and that they teach something.

Also remember to pursue all of the PR principles. Get in local papers etc and be seen generally being a good Troop out and about.

This way your actions can be seen for what they are which might go some way to mitigating the bad mouthing.(This message has been edited by ozemu)