Recruiting From Webolos

Our Pack has finally folded (again). Our Troop hasn't received new members from our Pack coming up on four years. Our Troop supported the Pack on all levels, the problems are related to one specific Pack leader. Our COR is very slow in reorganizing, so in the meantime.

I talked to our DE about my idea. I'm sure it's nothing new. He's given me a list of all of the other Packs surrounding our Troop. Only one Pack currently does not have an associated Troop. As Scoutmaster, I want to initiate contact with these Webolos Leaders specifically to publize our Troop's program as an alternative to their associated Troop. Yes, I'm trying to recruit Webolos from their Troops. I know it sounds underhanded, but our Troop currently has just a few younger Scouts and a bunch of 16-17 year olds. We need the infusion of younger Scouts and also new adult leadership. Sure, it's a long process, but we have the patience. What I need, are ideas in formulating a letter of introduction, to these leaders that will simply have them "think" of offering our Troop as an alternative to their Troop. I see in these boards, that a lot of the Webolos groups appear to go shopping for the Troops to graduate into. In our Council, it is assumed that you graduate from your Pack to the associated Troop, so, I'm taking a big chance that a lot of my fellow Scouters ain't going to like what I'm doing. We've tried, and will continue to try, all other recruiting programs. We have a consistent and excellent Scouting program (yes, boy run).Your ideas and thoughts please !!!!

sst3rd

We have a simliar situation in our area. We do have a little brother pack, but it is so weak that by the time kids are 10 - 11, there is almost none left in the pack. They find other things to occupy their time. We have the same attitude you do: It is vital to our existence that we get an infusion of at least 4-6 boys every year, because our method of "see one, do one, teach one" requires that our second your boys have first year boys to teach.

Before I started with the Troop, our current Scoutmaster was concerned that we were circling the drain (9 boys in the troop). He did exactly what you are considering. Actually, he was quite a bit more agressive about it. He contacted all of the Cubmasters and each of the 2nd year Webelos leaders from about 8 packs in our area. He laid out what the current troop was like, what his vision of it for the future was, and the pros and cons of their Webelos considering out Troop. He converted our regular winter cabin campout to a recruiting campout. The boys in the troop each adopted a scout skills topic, learned it inside out, up and down, and had them teach these, along with games and contests, to the Webelos and their dads, who were invited to come out on Friday night, or Saturday morning. The boys also cooked top notch meals (smoked turkey and pork roast, mashed potatoes and biscuits from scratch, etc.). The scouts served over 100 people the first time we did this. And we did a court of Honor on Saturday night, where we recognized the Webelos and their "patrols" with awards for their performance in the skills contests (although we didn't have contests for the woods tools section, we did "suspend" the whittlin' chit and totin' chit requirements and allowed the boys to use woods tools under supervision, which might have been the most well received activity by the boys). He asked all of the dads of the current scouts to come, and mingle with the dads of the webelos.

We have done this same campout every year for the last 8. We're down to 5 packs that we invite. A couple just wouldn't send any boys, and one has a cubmaster who doesn't like our scoutmaster, so they won't even give us contact information for the webelos leaders. And our pack only sends 1 or 2 each year, if that. The results: We get between 6 and as many as 12 boys a year cross to our troop, and we've tracked as best we can, and we are seeing about 75% of the boys who go on this campout cross somewhere. With the growth we have had (we're up to close to 50 boys now. The original 9, plus the 4 of the 12 who crossed over after the first year of doing this, are now graduated out of the troop {9 of 13 made Eagle} so we've crossed and kept an average of 7 boys a year), we realized we had to do something to slow it down a little. So last year we started inviting other troops to adopt one of the skill stations, to make short presentations at the Court of Honor, and set up tables to promote their troop. This was looked at with aprehension by the scoutmasters the first year, but I think we are starting to do a better job of convincing other troops' leaders that our intention is noble. We can't continue taking every scout we convince to cross to scouting. We're just not good enough to continue growing that big that fast. But we need to do the event for both the oppurtunity to teach the webelos, and to get some new guys every year. We now see ourselves as THE way Webolos in our area are recruited to Boy Scouts. Many will want to come to our Troop. But some others catch the fever of Boy Scouting, and hook up with other troops. We believe that it is the best interest of our troop to help other troops be strong. Competition is good. It makes everyone better.

Will other Scoutmasters see you as a villian? Yes, probably at first. But IMHO, you're doing them a favor. Offer Webelos a great program as an alternative to what they have traditionaly had. You'll get some of those guys. As you get a few more, it'll build on itself. at some point, the other scoutmasters will recognize they need to get better to get their share, for their own good. That means not only will your boys benefit, but so will boys who chose other troops.

Good luck to you. It can be done, and I think you shouldn't worry too much about other troops' feelings. In the long run, you'll be helping them, too.

Mark

sst3rd ... first of all, we are Webelos (We'll Be Loyal Scouts) and we really do not know what the troops has to offer! That is why troops need to have a proactive recruiting efforts to educate the Webelos and Webelos parents about scouting. Take a look at the link "Selecting a troop; what criteria to look for" (there are other discussion about joining a troop ... lost Webelos ... etc... that you can get a lot of points-of-view). There a lot good information about what a troop should do and what a Webelos is looking for.

We have two troops in our immediately area. They don't do any active recruiting and assumed that the Packs will naturally feed into them. Last two years they realized that the Webelos are going to another troop near by in another District. This year ... they are attempting to make some effort in recruiting. There is nothing underhanded about recruiting. You are trying to build your troop and if your troop has a great program to offer, why shouldn't it be advertised out there so that other boys with the similar interests may join? IT'S free-enterprise! I visited one troop two days ago and talked to a scout who commuted about 20 miles each week to be with this troop!

Take a look at the checklist that I posted on the "Selecting a troop; what criteria to look for." Compose your letter or package that will answer most if not all those questions and toss in some selling points about your troop ... especially things that you will be doing in the future. Trust me ... the Webelos and his parent will appreciate it. Invite them to a campout and a meeting or two. Offer help to the Pack ... pinewood derby, Blue & Gold, bike rally, den chiefs ... etc. Last and not the very least ... when the Webelos come and visit ... make them feel that they are who they are ... your most important guests! Don't put on a show for them ... just go about your normal troop meeting but do make it to where they can participate ...! Don't over sell yourself ... if you told them that they will get a trip to the moon if they join your Troop ... you had better figure out a way to fundraise $20 million for the Russian Space program! ;)

Remember one thing Webelos program is nothing short of Boy Scout 101! This is when we, as parents, are starting to let the string go. So go court after the Webelos 1 as well as Webelos 2! Get the Webelos 1 excited ... so that they will stay in and continue up. They may not join your troop, but at least they will still be in Scouting! Once you start your recruiting, the troop that this Pack normally feeds in will start to recruit as well. It's a win-win situation. The troops will force themselves to have a good program to attract new scouts or they will self-destruct. The Pack will have more than one Troop to choose from. The Webelos will have choices and we will have more boys staying in scouting!

Good luck ... YIS

pack38scouter:

Looks like we said the same thing at about the same time. I hope that can be taken as a sign it might have some value!

I looked at your checklist in the other thread. It is very good. I do disagree with the statement about the size of the troop that is best. There are plenty of smaller and larger troops that are good too. In general, it probably is difficult to run a good program with less than 20 boys, but it's not impossible. As far as more boys goes, our experience is that we become a completely different troop with every 10 boy increase we have. It requires our junior leaders to view things differently to make the meetings, campouts, and program applicable to a larger number of interests. We tend to struggle the first couple of months whenever our roster increases by more than 10. After that, we settle into a comfort zone. We are doing very well right now with 50 boys. I think it's a little inaccurate to say the ideal size is 20 - 30.

But the main point you made is that competition is good. And with that, I heartily agree!

Mark

mk ... actually I was referring to the size of average size of troops within our areas! We here in Texas tend to have "large" size in everything! :) Our Pack is about 120-130 boys strong and our brother Pack (we were one once ... 6 years ago) is about 110-120 boys strong. I think that our District averages about 35 a troop. I usually tell my parents that the size of the troop does not necessary constitute a good troop. A good troop is the one that your son will enjoy his scouting experience with ... of course having a great patrol method program is the added bonus!

The larger troop ... tend to require more work to get organized. I personally prefer 20-30 boys ... or about 4-5 patrols. You are correct ... the smaller the troop the easier for the troop to be "on the move." Coordinating 50, 60, 70+ boys for a campout can take a lifetime! I rather have 20-30 active boys than 70 and on 20-30% active. May be I should rephrase it to say ... 30 active scouts ... Thanks.

But then again ... every scouter has his/her comfort zone.

That reminds of a story that a friend here at work told me about his son and him. He is a Scoutmaster and a trainer for a long time. He uses this story at the Webelos training whenever he gets a chance to. Anyway, he and his son were driving home from his son's Transition Campout with one of the local troops in their area. He asked his son if he has chosen a troop to join. His son beamingly replied, "Yes, Dad. I want to join Troop xxx, but Dad? Which troop are you going to join?" :)

You know, it's kind of funny you tell that story. We had a boy this past year cross to another troop, even though his brother was ASPL of our troop, and his father is an ASM. No one could understand this, and we were VERY concerned that this was an indication something was wrong. We finally got the answer: This boy had lived in the "scouting" shadow of his brother and father for 5 years. He wanted to strike out on his own, to be his own scout. He asked his dad to come on a campout or two with his troop, but NOT to register as a leader there.

It's been a little hectic for the family. Of course, meetings are on different nights, and events never seem to coordinate to make things easy for the family. But we speak to the boy once in a while, as well as his family, still with us. They all think that this was the best decision that could have been made regarding scouting. But the things that are best about each troop kind of get introduced at the other. I know we've added a couple of things that came from the other troop. We'd love to have the younger brother, but he's really enjoying his experience the way it is now. Worked out great!

Mark

sst3rd,

Please, please, please do what you are thinking of doing. While many people are plugged into scouting, there actually are a large number of Cub parents who know nothing about Boy Scouts. Who is going to tell them? Hopefully the Cub leaders and the Boy Scout leaders. Too many times a casual approach is taken to this from both sides. It has always been explained to me that the decision of which troop to go to is the boy's with a little mature guidance from parents. No troop has an automatic lock on a pack for transition. Most parents let their kids join the Cub pack from their local school or church sight unseen and find it isn't all they hoped for. If the parents can't or don't want to get behind the pack after they find out what it is like, imagine how thrilled they are going to be when Boy Scout transition rolls around. Sell your troop with pride. Be proactive and show them what you have to offer. My son is a Webelos 1 and I've already started scoping out the local troops around us. I figure why wait until the last minute when he only has a couple of months left as a Webelos 2? I talked to our Cub Master this weekend about it and he agreed that it is never too early to look. He has campouts planned for us this next spring with two different troops. Again, those troops that just expect parents and boys to know everything about Boy Scouts (when they have no reason to know anything) and to just join by default should get what they deserve. Nothing! You get out of something what you put into it. Sell your troop and force the others to do the same. You may catch ome heat, but scouting in your area will be better for it in the long run.

Our troop has been running about 60 for the last 7 years. Our orginal Cub Pack folded about 5 years ago. Now we try to invite cubs on troop activites that they would enjoy. We do get a large shair of older scouts change troops for our backpacking program. The only drawback is you need to plan both easy hikes for the younger scouts and longterm hikes for the more experienced scouts. About half of our scouts hike, while some just stick around for other camping and fun activities. This year we had 10 eagle scouts (7 are backpackers) and most younger scouts went to the projects.

Our troop has been running about 60 for the last 7 years. Our orginal Cub Pack folded about 5 years ago. Now we try to invite cubs on troop activites that they would enjoy. We do get a large shair of older scouts change troops for our backpacking program. The only drawback is you need to plan both easy hikes for the younger scouts and longterm hikes for the more experienced scouts. About half of our scouts hike, while some just stick around for other camping and fun activities. This year we had 10 eagle scouts (7 are backpackers) and most younger scouts went to the projects.

Can you visit the Webelos training meetings (roundtable??) and present your problems and intentions in person? Then follow up with a letter that they won't consider a sly underhanded proposal because you have already stood in front of them and laid the cards on the table.

Tell the other SM's at your meeting what you are going to do and why. They mightn't like it but at least you can't be accussed of being sneaky.

I appreciate the responses. I'm kind of overwhelmed. I received the list from Council of the names and addresses of "Webolos Leader." I guess this would be Webolos I and II, etc.. I'll have to find the Packs in our immediate area.

I'm going to put together a letter of introduction with an overview of our program. I will include our 2003 camping trip calendar, summer camp plans, and short and long term goals for our Troop's program.

Two questions: 1) If I invite a Webolos group on an appropriate campout, should I go for one of our winter campouts (to catch them before Blue and Gold graduations), or wait for a spring campout. 2) Also, should I ask in the letter, for permission to attend one of their meetings to introduce myself (and one of our youth Staff). I would want them to call me, so as to not make them feel like we're pressuring them.

Thoughts.......and thanks to all.

sst3rd

SST,

Like I said be proactive. Yes, call them and ask if you can attend a meeting to discuss your troop. Do invite the Webelos on a campout that is appropriate. A winter campout might be a good choice. It could kill two birds with one stone for many of the Webelos. One of the requirements for them is to visit a Scout troop and to camp with them. The other thing is earning a Polar Bear patch. My understanding is that most councils have their own Polar Bear patch for Webelos who camp one night in temps below freezing. Our den attempted this last weekend, but sadly the overnight temp only got to about 37 or 38. The test is to set out a bucket of water and have ice in it the next morning. We hope to go next month as we know the temps will be low enough. This last trip was good practice and we worked on fire safety. I'll ask the same thing someone else did, what about the Roundtable. All Scout Masters and Cub Masters should be in attendance. Present your plan to contact packs there. Some SM's may not like it, but I'll be willing to bet you get some of the CM's excited. You just made their life easier and opened a door of opportunity to them.

kwc57,

Good ideas all. I will proceed with a letter, and then follow up with a phone call. I got a list of Webolos Leaders from our DE, however experience tells me that Pack Leaders move around alot, and some come and go. Yes, all of this within the year of registration. So, this will allow me enough time to get in touch with current Webolos Leaders, invite myself to one of their meetings, and invite them on a camping trip. However, we have Cub and Scout Roundtables at the same location, but different rooms. For a Scoutmaster to make a presentation of recruitment at a Roundtable, would not be appropriate and would not be allowed. Certainly I can make "contacts" at Roundtables during breakout times, but that's it. I was surprised the DE even gave me the information I requested. I shall proceed quickly, quietly, but with purpose. I won't be making any friends.

sst3rd

• 1 year later...

Oh boy! Reading your posts gives me hope that ya'll might have some advice for me. We desperately NEED and WANT to work with the packs in our area. Last year and again this year we have planned a Webelo Weekend on our sponsor's property (large and suitable for camping). My problem? Our DE will not allow us to have a list of our local packs and cubmasters. We are not allowed to present our plans and flyers at Roundtable (this may not be souch a minus-- only two packs were represented at last week's Roundtable-- many see no value in attending anymore.....) Our DE will not allow us to go into the schools to recruit, and the schools don't want us anymore anyway (IMO, the DE is largely responsible for our lack of welcome in the schools, but that is another story.) Our boys passed out flyers at our local holiday parade, but we have had no response.

I just do not know where else to turn. I know that our DE has down many things that, dare I say, belie the "Character Counts" slogan, and I think he is wrong in not giving SM the lists they request, but that and a buck still won't buy me a coke......... A friend in the scout office has even told me that the DE has told the staff that if they provide this info they will lose their jobs. Our food drive this year included a flyer with the names and contact numbers of packs and troops-- to be given out to the general public, but the troops themselves are not to be given pack info because we might "do something wrong with the info". Again, only my opinion, but I think this information is in safer hands if troops have it rather than complete strangers in the general public.......

Our sponsor, though a dream of a sponsor, who gives us whatever we ask for, cannot give us what they don't have-- namely youth.

I need recruiting help!!! Ideas for recruiting, ideas about how to get the needed info from the DE, moral support to inspire us to keep going rather than just closing up shop!

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

YIS,

Lisa

One suggestion I might make for an SM approaching a Pack. What can you do for them? Can you put on an exciting demonstration? Can your Scouts do something exciting.

Are there any boys who would like to be Den Chiefs, particularly Webelos Den Chiefs? Be ready to offer that service to the Cubmaster. But don't offer a boy who could be problems, offer someone who will be a good example of being a Boy Scout. Possibly an older Scout. Remember that Den Chief is a position of responsibility for advancement through Eagle Scout.