I have been asked to be ASPL for our up coming course and I need goofie ideas for opening Gilwell Feild like the wether rock, forcast for the day.... I'm drawing a blank and need help with ideas.

I thought those things were kind of traditional of all WB courses.. Sort of like the patrol names.

as stated.

Weather Patrol - weather rock stays in feild they get an umbrella to embellish.

Service Patrol - Shovel to embellish. (the buffalos love the shovel) (they may be asked to move tables or something during the day..)

Program patrol - Gets the Kudu horn which they need to blow into.. (we have different mouthpieces until we can re-sanatize mouthpieces. (Lunchtime is good for a few skits or songs from the service patrol)

(I thought we had a fourth one, but just looked at a Gazette.. We only have three.. A reason I can't remember what the 4th one was).

Service and Program patrol is a part of course, what I need is ideas like the weather rock and other fun ideas to use as fillers for opening Gilwell in the mornings, maybe ideas for differant Thoughts of the day

Dont get to caught up in the screwing around at gilwell.......we wasted far to much time qith the staff jokes and general stupidity.

We wasted hours standing at gilwell while the staff sang the announcement song over and over again......and over and over ......

Got to echo BD's point - this is an adult training course, attended by folks taking time away from work, family and other obligations. The focus should be on delivering a quality training program in an effective, efficient way. Obviously maintaining a cheerful, enjoyable, fun atmosphere is part of that - but focus on presenting the training material, not on goofy skits, songs and slapstick. Be respectful of the investment - of both time and money - that the attendees have made to attend your program.

Just my two cents.

3 is probably good, I wouldn't push more then 4.. Exchange of the positions does take time, fun when kept to a minimum.. Like Basement says, you can turn people off if it goes on for two long.. Get in, get out.. Get on with the more serious matters at hand..

You just want enough so that each patrol is called into service at least twice during the course.. But lugging around the paraphanilia can get old too if you get charged with a new item every day.

How often have you been on staff?.. I ask because I guess our council does things oddly, our 8 troop guides and possibly our scribes are the new staff members. The other staff members are the wise old elders to the course. I hear that most have the Troop Guides as the wise old elders, everyone else is new, except for the Course Director..

Seems odd to me.. For me the TG are like the older boys of the troop, knowing more then the new recruits but still in need of guidence. But, it seems it would be weird to be the ASM of Troop guides resposible to direct the Troop Guides while all the Troop guides are seasoned staffers and you are sort of new to the whole thing. Or ASM of Equipment when who needs to be 10 steps ahead of everyone when you don't have a sound idea of what comes next.

This will be course #2 for me. I was a TG the first time around, this course I am the ASPL so after the Blue and Gold banquit the SPL and the ASPL run the rest of the course. the goofy stuff is at the request of the couse director (SM)so I'm just trying to be ready our over nighter is this weekend

Shout-outs to the camp staff are always good (and quick)!

"Everyone, on three, good morning ranger __. One, two, three .."

Baseball and Hockey scores are nice. Or, if there's a cricket or soccer tournament in some obscure place in the world that you can follow for the weekend ...

Knock Knock joke of the day ...

Hopefully, that will get your gears rolling. Like everyone above says, short and sweet wins.

don't wait for stragglers. start on time without them. they won't straggle often, once they figure that out.

on the flip side, waste my time too often or keep me standing around in the cold outside before breakfast too many times, and I'll start being the straggler ('cause I know you won't start til I show up, so why should I wait for everybody else?)

Well ok - **I** wouldn't do that - but the point: reward the behavior you want, not the behavior you don't want.

Is it too late to have a camp bugler? Taps at day's end is always welcome. Reveille , mmmm ok.

Weather Rock... Staff should be ready with parkas, raincoats, anchor ropes, sunglasses as required for the day, as the WR predicts.

DONOT do the announcement song. Do NOT.

I like the Sports score thing. Cricket score from Kenya, Nauru, etc.

The announcement song is way off base. Pay close attention ... this is one of the few times I'll be in agreement with Basementdweller regarding Wood Badge. There is no room for that song in Wood Badge. What are we modeling? Are we supposed to go back and teach Cubs how to be discourteous with adults? Throw it out!

If your SM would read the Course Director's Staff Guide, he/she would discover that the morning assembly isn't supposed to be fun and games. Do that elsewhere. I'd skip the weather rock too.

BDPT00

Jacobs,

Greetings!

I'm sure the staff should be fairly energetic, with alot of creative and goofy ideas. Try not to spend too much time on Gilwell Field (beyond the required practices) to the extent that it reduces class time.

However, you may try to find a humorous way to remember and re-inforce the previous days topics (setting goals, knowing your resources, etc etc); or to advertise an upcoming "movie night" with popcorn and pajamas or Space Launch with sunglasses and lab coat.

Remember, "Fun with a purpose".

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

I would go with others suggestions. The short sweet stuff, can be added or not if needed.

Adding to the service patrols, means it is something that must be done daily, whether you need to or not..

I agree with the others though, I wouldn't award the stragglers.. Perhaps have a sit down with your SM.. Just because this is his view now, doesn't mean that your can't have a heart-to-heart to discuss the negatives.. Perhaps change his mind, or come to a compromise of giving them only 5 minutes but there is a cut-off of "We can wait no longer"..

Maybe we do things differently. We have breakfast, and then the opening ceremony. The stragglers wander into breakfast and may have to wolf it down, but all are ready to be on the field for opening ceremonies.

Sounds like I am lucky not to even know what the announcement song is.. What is it? Why is it so disliked?

Moose:

because it goes on and on and on and on and on.

because it prevents the dissemination of what might actually be useful information

because it interrupts the person speaking

because it wastes everybody else's time

(on the flip side - it is typically trotted out when some well-known windbag seems like they're getting ready to launch into another lengthy stream of consciousness announcement-fest, ugh)