Jambo 2012 rejected - Now What?

The decision of not going to the Jamboree has been made because it is a $1500 per person event in our council. I could go as staff and pay 1/2 of that but my son's cost will still be $1500. We feel that we can do allot more with the $2300.

My son is doing well with his testing and shots. We are working with him to be self sufficient. He has decided against the pump. It is his decision. He is comfortable doing the shots when needed. He is not comfortable with a device attached to his body. Typically when being physically active in scouting he needs few if any shots a day.

There is always the next Jambo but I still do not think we will be there with the cost being so high.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rhol,

He'll have to get to the point where he is OK with a pump to be happy with it. In my younger days, I resisted being "attached to a machine" 24/7. Once I did it, I've never had any desire to go back. A pump offers so much better consistency and makes your lifestyle darn near normal. You can skip meals, have cake and ice cream at a party, etc. But the person wearing it has to understand it and use it responsibly. As far as the cost of Jambo, $1,500 isn't all that bad. Our council is $1,500 for 2013 which is a darn sight better than the $3,000 price tag we charged in 2010.

My boys and my daughter made the the same decision over the past three Jambo opportunities. and we have done a lot with the money not spent.

If he's catching on with the glucose control, he has it in him to prepare for a wide array of opportunities.

Rhol,

My heart goes out to you with all the frustration you have been and are dealing with. Thank you for sharing with us.

Note...these are more off the beaten path.

Having made the decision not to go, I thought I might offer up a few alternatives....that you and your son might enjoy and still cost less.

1) Philmont Training Center - Great Courses for you, a great youth program for your son, a medical facility on property, if needed. Really a blast. I've been as a participant, a guest, and as a Philmont Base Staff member. A truly unbelievable opportunity. Cost? Totally affordable!!!!!

2) International Camps and Jamborees (Not the WJ) - Very affordable. You can find a list at Scout.org

Other countries love to have BSA scouts come to their events. Many are heavily English speaking countries, but good if you speak a 2nd language like Spanish. (I will say Aruba was cool!)

3) Go to the Jamboree as a Visitor. You get to pretty much pick your own itinerary and do what you want. I'm sure the are some limitations and cost (no idea how much that costs). But you have the control of when to come or go. If you do that...book a room now :-)

I am sure there are more. Those are just a few that come to mind that I have enjoyed.

Happy trails.... S.

Scouter,

Going to Jambo as a visitor will be a totally different experience from the past. Visitors will not be allowed inside the actual footprint of the Jambo or able to participate in anything participants do. This is a whole new model and one for the better for those who spent a large sum of money to do Jambo. There will be a visitor center where participants can come meet visitors and a Jambo lite experience can be had by visitors.

scouter,

https://summit.scouting.org/en/Jamboree2013/Pages/2013-Jamboree-Highlights.aspx

Showcase a Visitor Experience Very Different than the Participant Experience

Visitors and participants can come together in the 90-acre Summit Center.

Access to program areas will be limited to jamboree participants.

In the Summit Center, visitors will be offered a jamboree lite experience with a sampling of jamboree activities, constant entertainment and activities in the arena area, in addition to the exhibit and display areas.

Jamboree visitors will be provided an improved experience and charged a reasonable but appropriate fee.

Pre-registration wil be required and available early 2013.

I know going to Jambo is important to a lot of folks, more so with National's new HA base and being a part of the first Jambo there.

However, there are Councils that offer HA programs, the equal to, or better than National's. Here's two...

Blue Ridge Mountain Councils, Roanoke, Va. They been rafting the New for nearly two decades. And...Maine High Adventure, once a National High Adventure base....(This message has been edited by le Voyageur)

Scouter your information is faulty regarding the Philmont training center...

The $1500 fee for jambo includes transportation and everything.....

The training center program fees are around $500 for 5 days, then transportation, Air into Denver for me would be $600, car for a week from the other thread $500.....Food and fuel another $100.......So Not cheaper or better in anyway.

Just an update at cost for here.

Little darling #2 ran up wanting to go to Jambo. Of course would have to send #1 as well. Presenter told us it was "just" $1800 + "incidentals" per. I had to tell my boys I cannot shell out $3600 after tax just like that. $1800!

For that kinda money it would be a lot better to go to Philmont and Sea Base IMHO. Not that I think Jambo is bad--it is a cost/benefit thing. Or how many AT hikes?

I told him save his money for next time (2016) Of course son#2 cried "But I'll be an Eagle by then" (I thought good luck with that).

At the rate things are going Jambo 2016 will probably be $2000-2400. If my son saves up for it he will need to sock away $10 a week every week until then.