At our rechartering I was working the Training support table, I was approached by the LDS that they can not take the IOLS due to the fact it basically runs over a weekend which includes Sunday..

Never thought about it before.. They probably had no issue with training before I took over as my predecessor ran a 1 day IOLS (obviously he ran it wrong) but it did solve the problem for the LDS group..

I wish someone had approached me before, as one-on-one we have accomidated other problems of people missing parts of the course.. We usually met with them and finished up in one-on-one sessions..

Talking with my son on how to accommodate LDS he feels that while we have done one-on-one make up with others, the LDS will become a greater number to make that difficult to do.

Currently we hold a early course before the weekend that is about 3 hours, where we cover cooking, backpacking and organize the groups so they can arrange their food.. I suggested making that a full day course one Saturday.. Then having people come in on Friday night campover and finish the rest of the course an that Saturday, with no Sunday..

Friday night our family usually arrives to the campsite early so we are ready in the morning of the IOLS but we arrive late... very late.. Due to work conflicts.. So most likely the participants will arrive before us on Friday, and most likely there will be no time for the campfire program that evening.. Unless we can get another trainer to oversee Friday night..

Anyway those are my two thoughts.. How does your district accomodate LDS in their IOLS Training?

Previously, IOLS started Friday evening and concluded Sunday morning. With some creative scheduling, we now start on Friday evening (around 5:00 PM) and finish up on Saturday evening, between 9:00 PM and 10:00 PM. This revised scheduling works out well, all of the material is covered, and in fact this makes it easier on all participants and staff.

When I was the "training guy", all the other districts were running weekend training courses, so I set mine up to run in the evenings, and I always had a full house of people who appreciated not having to give up a whole Saturday. That might be hard with IOLS, but is there a requirement that there be an "overnight"? (my memory fails me). Perhaps you could recruit some trainers from the LDS community who could run an all day Fri-Sat course once a year to meet the needs of the LDS Scouters. Out of curiosity, how do any of them become Wood Badgers?

Yep, there is suppose to be at least one overnight camping built into the IOLS program.

Fri starting at 5pm and then just Sunday, is just not enough time to do the program correctly.. For example when our district went to 1 day First Aid was given a 20 minute spot (to cover all the T-to-1 first aid requirements).. If they did have Saturday & 1/2 Sunday they got only 30 to 40 minutes. (Still too short a time)..

I would love to get some LDS trainers, so far they do usually keep to themselves.. But, maybe since the campfire program is fairly easy I could find one willing to take charge of the Friday check-in and campfire program.. It's an idea..

Without quoting chapter and verse, I believe that overnight camping is inferred in the syllabus, but not required. But yes, it is a good idea. When we run IOLS at summer camp, the program is run during the daylight hours. Scout leaders can then camp with their Troops or go home for the evening.

If you carry a copy of the IOLS syllabus on your thumbdrive, you might be an IOLS SM. :)

From my 2001 printing

page 11 states the following:

Schedule for Two One-Day Programs

This schedule divides the sessions into two one-day programs, preferably on Saturdays....

First Saturday is 8AM - 7PM

Second Saturday is 8AM - 8:15PM

Overnight camping is not required.(This message has been edited by eagle92)(This message has been edited by eagle92)

That IOLS doesn't require the overnight is good to know.. I doubt my Council training group agrees though.. The reasons they outlawed testing out of IOLS is a) That they don't do the overnight b) Those that know there stuff should then go as trainers and learn how to teach what they know..(try telling them that this is not what the normal participants are to get from IOLS, they just get an overdose of alot of info in the firehose method.. Hope they remember 25% and go on to learn more within their troops.)

Of course I was a wee bit upset when they outlawed IOLS for these reasons then they were fine with one trainer who was taking his participants cabin camping all in one meeting..

Moose,

Well considering that the 2 one day sessions are in the syllabus and approved by national, I don't think they can say no to them since unlike the test out, there is an actual schedule put out by national on it.

I will have to check out the syllabus for that.. With other courses I follow the progression exactly.. With IOLS, I look at the time per a session, and what the sessions requires done.. Then I do the sessions in what ever pattern I think is beneficial or my trainers for a certain session have the time to come in for.

Cooking & Backpacking in a pre-meeting.. As they need it to pack and organize their menus.

Plants, Animals & First Aid trainers get first dibs on the time they can come in.. As they are the ones that you like people with above Scouting skills knowledge to teach..

People with multiple sessions try to keep together so they don't have to either stay a long time or travel out twice..

All others first come - First serve as to organizing their personal committements around the schedule..

300 years back, when we did "Scoutmaster Fundamentals," I was a UC for 6 Wards in NCAC.

Since I was also a member of the training staff, I decided that it would not be too difficult to conduct all the content we did on Sunday on Friday evening. Then the LDS Scouters could stay for Saturday (basically leaving after or just before cracker barrel) and I would stay and repeat the standard Sunday training on Sunday with the remaining crew.

Not sure why that idea still would not work (although I do find it interesting that an option exists with no overnight camping).

Neither my fianc or I said to do one on ones with everybody.....as weve always said if you can get a big enough group than well set up a special course for you.....they havent been to training for awhile.....we should have enough people.

After we get the bulk trained then we can work with the one on one program or do it again when they have another group of people.

People Love the way the IOLS is running and Scouting is about outing so there should be some camping involved. The point is to teach them basic skills that the scouts should know about outdoors and part of that is camping.

We cant really do the training any earlier on Friday because no matter what we do we cant get to the training till later (we live out of district and cant take the time off of work and school).

If we need to break it up for LDS then we can do that but people tend to like the 1 and done weekend and how were running so maybe alternate if we need to....spring being LDS format and Fall Regular format. Or just train them when they get a group that want to be trained.

I doubt we would find many trainers who do not work on Friday, or are willing to use a vacation day to staff a training.. Let alone very many participants willing to take a Friday off from work to be trained..

Our District is also very long, causing a drive for alot of people even if we try to center it. So breaking it up into alot of week nights would not be a favorite of many either. But, I could see a benefit of that if you are a smaller district.