Miss Minnesota autism training video for BSA leaders

from Natale Davis, Miss Minnesota

"I was invited to participate in a training video for Boy Scout troop leaders working with scouts with Autism Spectrum Disorder and other "neurobiological diagnoses." Filming happened today (11/26/2011?)! It's amazing how serendipitous life can be! Right before I won Miss Minnesota, I met a woman named Mary Wangerin who happens to be a St. Olaf alumnus. Her son George is my brother's age, has Asperger's Syndrome, and is an Eagle Scout. Because of this chance meeting, my mom, brother, and I had the wonderful opportunity to participate in this training video, which will hopefully one day be distributed nationally to educate troop leaders about Boy Scouts with special needs. It was so special to hear Trevor's perspective on his Boy Scout experience. When asked what advice he would give to kids with Asperger's Syndrome who wanted to become Eagle Scouts like him, he said they should keep trying and never give up, just like the Little Engine that Could: "I think I can! I think I can!." Well said, Trev! A huge thank you to Mary for including my family and me in this advocacy project! I can't wait to see the finished product!"

Me too. I encourage other Miss America contestants to do training videos for the BSA. :)

My $0.02,

link:

http://nataliedavis.weebly.com/1/post/2011/11/asd-advocacy-governor-dayton-autism-society-fraser-and-boy-scouts-of-americaoh-yeah-and-miss-america-preparation-and-my-st-olaf-senior-recital.html