Why is Wood Badge calling the Prisoners Dilemma the Game of Life?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"There ain't much in WB that hasn't already been taught in Management 101 at any community college or corporate professional development seminar. I await the revelation of what makes the WB version of

Wood Badge was a great course to enhance management skills. I have been to many other courses like this as I work in Corporate HR in the real world. The fact is many people are not exposed to these

Of course he wants the beads. They're already paid for, aren't they?

Now, our home schooled Scoutson is saying the graduation ceremony put on by our academic oversight organization isn't important to him. It is to his mom and dad. And we know it may well be important to him later. He worked for that diploma, he earned it, he (by his own admission) really learned some stuff along the way. Time to point to him and say "waytogo!" , at least once. He says he doesn't know any of the people that will be at it. Not true. Going to be more than a couple of very proud folks there. And a few other students he's met along the way at various activities.

Same for you, BD. Do it for them Scouts and other folks that see you as an example, too, if not only for yourself. Mark the occasion, if only with a verse of Gilwell. Then go out and be an even gaddier fly. Or something.

Of course he wants the beads. They're already paid for, aren't they?

Now, our home schooled Scoutson is saying the graduation ceremony put on by our academic oversight organization isn't important to him. It is to his mom and dad. And we know it may well be important to him later. He worked for that diploma, he earned it, he (by his own admission) really learned some stuff along the way. Time to point to him and say "waytogo!" , at least once. He says he doesn't know any of the people that will be at it. Not true. Going to be more than a couple of very proud folks there. And a few other students he's met along the way at various activities.

Same for you, BD. Do it for them Scouts and other folks that see you as an example, too, if not only for yourself. Mark the occasion, if only with a verse of Gilwell. Then go out and be an even gaddier fly. Or something.

BDP,

While he may not care about the beads, he's been through to much garbage not to get them. He has tried to provide a quality program not only for his unit but the district,and they keep making him jump through hurdle after hurdle after hurdle. If he's done half the stuff he says he has, and I have no reason to doubt him, then he deserves them.

As for the shouting, I know how some hard of hearing, hard headed old fogeys can be, and sometimes shouting is neccessary.:) Sometimes a swift kick in the butt is what is really needed ;)

And that "DO LET THEM WIN!" should read "DO NOT LET THEM WIN!" ( bold to note change. still shouting though ;) )

Eagle92, shout on brother! Agree 100 percent.

SSScout, good point re the graduation ceremony. I see the same thing in the military when it comes to retirement ceremonies. Lots of folks say "aw, I don't want anything, waste of time, I just want to leave with no fuss." Etc. Etc.

Truth is, everyone needs some kind of capstone to a big accomplishment. It can be tailored any way that suits them, but many folks secretly want it but won't say.

There have been some military retirees that got their wish--they wanted no ceremony and sure enough, the squadron did nothing. Regrets are inevitable for both parties.

The ceremony is about the honoree, yes. But not completely. It's also about the family, friends and comrades who helped along the way and want to pay their respects.

So Basement, please consider Eagle92's great idea of having those beads presented at a pack meeting. Ask some cubs to be part of the ceremony. They'll get a kick out of it and never forget it.

So Basement, please consider Eagle92's great idea of having those beads presented at a pack meeting. Ask some cubs to be part of the ceremony. They'll get a kick out of it and never forget it.

DDDUUUUUUHHHHHHHHH Why didn't I think of using the Cubs to present the beads?!?!?!?!!?

Good one '77!

"So let me get this straight.

You plan your own ceremony??????? "

Not sure what you mean by "plan your own ceremony".

The Wood Badge people will plan and carry out the ceremony. You, the candidate, does not do this. What is usually done is they ASK you WHEN & WHERE you would like the ceremony to be done. Most people want the ceremony done at a time and place that is most meaningful to them.

One patrol I knew worked to all get their tickets done, and the ceremony was held for the whole group at a Camporee (at a location that anyone could come to, but no so as it interjected into the program).

Many will get theirs after our annual Wood Badge Breakfast.

I know of people who have them at Troop Court of Honors, Roundtables, and similar events.

No, you don't plan your own ceremony. In my Council, the Course Director follows a fairly standard "script" for the beading ceremony, tempered by the number of participants, the locale, and the time available. But we allow for, and encourage, "special circumstances". So, for example, if a participant would like his/her beads or neckerchief presented by a family member, we go out of our way to accommodate the request. Absent any special requests, the participant picks the time and place for the ceremony and the Course Director and Staff take care of the rest.

Certainly, your Course Director would have probably covered these types of details already, but don't hesitate to ask questions about the process.

Basement, I wouldn't suggest planning and executing your own ceremony, but you should certainly have your wishes respected by the WB presenters.

I recently saw a beading ceremony that included singing, kudu horn blowing, four speeches by the four WB presenters, etc. The honoree was clearly on board with it. However, someone else may wish for a more subdued or personalized ceremony, and I think those desires should be followed.

Please keep us informed on how it goes, Basement, hope your ceremony is exactly as you want it. You've earned it.

"If the CD or staff are involved there will be no ceremony."

Well, don't know how its done in your council, but in mine, the ceremony isn't necessarily done by the CD & staff.

In my council, it goes like this:

The scribe for the course is informed you have completed the course, thus getting the records updated and releasing the beads, woggle, necker.

Arrangements are then made with the participant regarding the ceremony (as I noted, when and where). Usually the guide is the point person for this. And wood badgers are lined up to put it on. Ideally your troop guide should be involved (its a nice touch). Other available wood badgers are found to do the ceremony (its not a big one), and this may or may not include the CD and their staff.

I know for the patrol members I guided that I was involved and 1 or 2 other wood badges, but not our CD. It was no big deal.

I've seen ceremonies for 1 person to a couple of dozen. Biggest was the many we beaded after our WB reunion. Might even have been 2-3 dozen for that one.

your gonna laugh at this.

I called and spoke with my troop guide about it last night. He doesn't even know if any of my fellow patrol members have finished their ticket or not.

Far as the ceremony goes, he said he would like to attend and shamed me for not wanting one.

He is contacting the CD and asking to be my ticket councilor to help me finish it. No clue how that is going to work, but I never met my ticket councilor so who cares.

Interesting. The norm in our Council is for each Troop Guide to remain in the role of Ticket Counselor for their patrol. After the course ends, if a Troop Guide is unable to serve at any point as a Ticket Counselor (drops out of Scouting, moves out of the area, fails to perform their duties), the CD assigns a new Troop Guide/Ticket Counselor. For participants outside of our Council, we offer them the opportunity to have a locally assigned Ticket Counselor or simply keep their Troop Guide as a Ticket Counselor (that works well, given that so much communications today is via e-mail and phone).