Looking Forward to Wood Badge

Yah know...about 10 years ago, my wife, myself, and another couple wenmt to a seafood restaurant. It was called Wahoo Willies.

It was not your average grill that you would find on a fishing pier.

So we ordered some meals and one of the common sides was blackened beans. I as well as my wife got seasoned rice ( kinda like Zatarann's) and I had baked marinated grouper and my wife had ...well, I don't remember.

So after we left the restaurant, my wife and her friend commented about how awful the food was. TERRIBLE! YUCCKY POO!

They would tell all their friends not to eat there.

Me? I thought it was pretty good. Of course, I knew what blackened beans tasted like, I knew what the seasoned rice was going to be, and the grouper was cooked exactly the way baked and marinated grouper should.

Thing is, if you like that style of food, you would have liked it. If you don't like that style of food, you won't.

Then sometimes, you have a restaurant that could screw up a pot of boiled water.

Why should WB ( or anything else for that matter) be any different?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah know...about 10 years ago, my wife, myself, and another couple wenmt to a seafood restaurant. It was called Wahoo Willies.

So we ordered some meals and one of the common sides was blackened beans. I as well as my wife got seasoned rice ( kinda like Zatarann's) and I had baked marinated grouper and my wife had ...well, I don't remember.

So after we left the restaurant, my wife and her friend commented about how awful the food was. TERRIBLE! YUCCKY POO!

Me? I thought it was pretty good. Of course, I knew what blackened beans tasted like, I knew what the seasoned rice was going to be, and the grouper was cooked exactly the way baked and marinated grouper should.

Thing is, if you like that style of food, you would have liked it. If you don't like that style of food, you won't.

Then sometimes, you have a restaurant that could screw up a pot of boiled water.

Why is yours still 5 different unrelated projects?..

We had the 5 unrelated projects.

Then they went to 5 projects under an umbrella, so you had to tie all your projects to something, easiest things were something like organization, or Outdoor program something like that..

Now it is one vision of where you want your unit to be in about 1 year to 18 months but the tickets are various steps to get their, in other word your missions..

Please allow me to reiterate my point...I like going to training events. And I'm looking forward to Wood Badge.

Basementdweller, I'm sorry you had such a lousy experience. We realize that it wasn't all that and a bag of chips, as they say.

Thanks to everyone who gave positive posts and well wishes. I think this thread should be put to bed now.

Scoutfish......you may have a point.

A question to the group.

Who would be better on woodbadge staff?

Man who had experience as a youth scout.

Man who had experience as a youth scout and attended NYLT, Brown Sea or youth leadership training

Man who was an Eagle scout

Man who was an Eagle scout with NYLT

Man with no youth scouting experience

Lady with no youth scouting experience

Long term scouter.....Meaning Scouters with 10+ years of scouting

Just as scoutfish says the diner doesn't know what the food he is eating is supposed to taste like, I also contend that maybe the cooks don't know how to prepare it or what it is supposed to taste like.

I think you have a great point Basement. And to answer you question from my expoerience in life in general:

Somewwhere in between "Man who had experience as a youth scout and a Man who had experience as a youth scout and attended NYLT, Brown Sea or youth leadership training.

I thin experience as a scout will always be advantageous since ( in theory) yu have a connect by knowing what it was like to e in the scouts shoes.

Of course, the disadvantage is something we all face at some point or another: The good ole days syndrome"

REmember how great it was when you could buy a bottle RC Cola and a MoonPie for a nickle?

A quarter would get you a ticket to the movie AND a box of popcorn AND a soda, Ane wheh you went in, not only did you not sit through 30 minutes of previews, but you saw at least 2 cartoons and a 3 stoodges clip before the main movie.

Of course the down side was that your mom or dad only made $25.00 a week in takehome pay, and there was no A/C , people died of diseases that are now considered minor conditions that you take a pill for, and hurricanes might devastate your town before you even knew there was a hurricane coming.

So, the problem with a scouter who attended NYLT, Brown Sea or youth leadership training might be that they already decided that everything new is just crap and a total wste of time. The result might be they don't make half an effort to work the new stuff or they think they already know it and screw it up.

Basically, it comes down to the teachers attitude and mindset.

Just like school teachers: There are those who enjoy teaching and love working with kids. They are pasionate about teaching and seeing peole discover and learn new tings.

Then you have teachers who act like you are lucky to have them in your unworthy presence. They think they did you a personal favor just to even acknowledge you exist.

I guess it all comes down to two things: The attitude and personality of the student, what they expect, and think they will get from it....and the attitude, mindset of the teachers and how they look at the class and what they plan to give of themselves while teaching.

When seeking staffers, I'd ignore Eagle and NYLT as a youth. I agree with Scoutfish regarding attitude, and I'd look for those I knew were good trainers. Age and gender wouldn't matter much, but a mixture of both would be good. With good people, a good course director can make it work. A lousy course director (a weak pool of staffers matters, too) would be the primary reason a staff doesn't perform well. Eagle and NYLT wouldn't matter. Main thing is the leadership and vision of the Scoutmaster.

BDPT00

I'm going to stand by the advice I gave, and disagree with BDPT. Just because some one shows up at course with a Ticket in hand does not mean they're locked into it. There may come at times a rash of those ah hah moments during the course where a different tack, and a bit of adjustment will produce better results.

Round Tables, camporee's as well as visits to other troops with seasoned unit leaders all serve as great sources to bounce ideals off of before the course.

As I see, having been through two Wood Badge courses, a little prep work ahead of times avoids a lot of the frustion in fleshing out a Ticket as the end nears, and allows a more relax approach during the course.