why are the critters ordered the way they are?

While I wholeheartedly agree with Kudu (okay, no fainting out there) - this is from the history of WB, and the 2nd WB try in 1946:

The organization and working of the Wood Badge troop was strictly American. The Boy Scouts of America interpretation of the patrol method was used to its fullest extent. The patrol names picked were of birds and animals found in every state of the Union: Eagle, Bob White, Fox and Beaver.

http://www.scatacook.org/WB/WB-Book-Part1.pdf

BBEFOBBA -- Spell totally spastic Scouter???

Seriously.. Don't know, Doubt there is any rhyme or reason, because they switched it up for a change when the new WB course came out there use to be Raven, Crow, Wolf, Hawk and Panther ..

Always wonder what the old timers do when the Gilwell songs come up. Was the song around back then? Were you just dropped from the song? Kindof sad that you can go to a Woodbadge reunion & not be recognized.

Funny you said that. I Staffed this Summer, and the first day we sang Gilwel, there was a WBer who's critter is a Squirrel. They use them in the course held where he's from. Also our CD dropped three critters so we have added Ravens, Buffalos, and Antelopes to the Council.. so no Bobs, (Sad for me), Eagles, and Foxes..

If it wasn't for Beavers, the rest of the critters would just wander around aimlessly!

Really, the Beavers built the dam from the trees the bobwhites lived in, thus making the bobwhite homeless. The eagle spotted the bobwhite from his nest at the top of the other trees, and thought he was food. At the same time the fox was also stalking the poor bobwhite when the owl decided he needed to wake the forest with his screech. The screech from the owl woke the Bear. The Bear knocked the tree, that the owl was in, over which startled the buffalo in the meadow. The buffalo took off running and came upon a herd of Antelopes. The antelopes were to busy prancing around to notice the buffalo. Then the ranger showed up in his truck. The antelopes scattered, the buffalo charged the ranger's truck. The owl kept taunting the bear. The eagle and fox clashed over the little bobwhite, while the beaver sat on his dam, thinking all is right in the world.

"Always wonder what the old timers do when the Gilwell songs come up. Was the song around back then? Were you just dropped from the song? Kindof sad that you can go to a Woodbadge reunion & not be recognized. "

We had staffers at my WB who were Ravens, Crows and Wolves. They tagged onto the end after the Antelopes. I'm assuming the same should happen at a reunion or beading...(This message has been edited by eolesen)

What Change from Tradition?

Beaver

Bobwhite

Eagle

Fox

Owl

Bear

Buffalo

Antelope

Raven

Squirrel!

I think some Councils are using Critters that are more common in their area too. The Squirrel Critter I know is from WB course that were held in Spain.

And I know of courses that were so large that they used all of the Critters, so they had to. I know in my council we have the course once a year, and use a min. amount of 30. but this year we were expecting up to 50 participants. At the end, things heated up in the middle east, and many participants had to go away. We even had Staff who couldn't make it. so things got changed around at the last minute. We have a heavy amount of military in your Council, so we have to be flexible.