Various members of the District committee have being trying to talk me into being a UC. I have seriously been considering it. I was wondering if other UC's and other commissioners could give me a run down on what they actually do - not what the book says. Thank You in advance.

InsaneScouter

AKA. Scott

http://insanescouter.com

webmaster@insanescouter.org

I guess i better clarify something... I am not saying I wont and dont follow the book... I have just found that the book doesnt always give the whole story justice. I am just looking for what others are doing right now in their postions - not quotes out of the book. I hope this makes more since.. if not let me know and I will try again...

InsaneScouter

Strange as it may be, only last night iI got a phone call from a Charter Rep. Who was very upset with the new unit commissioner. In fact she wasn't very thrilled that the new district commissioner, had not returned her phone call. (Rule #1 Return phone calls.)

She was calling me as the district chair. to complain, that this commissioner, had demanded that she call a committee meeting in order to get the charter done. He said when the meeting would be held. She, very rightly informed him to stick it in his ear.(Rule#2 Commissioners are to serve the unit, and are an invited guest at each and every meeting they attend. Add to this don't get on the wrong side of a charter Rep. Who has been in the program longer then you have been on the planet.)

She told me at thier first meeting, he had said that he was there to sort them out. (Rule #3. Think what you like but don't be dumb enough to say it out loud. Wait and bring it up at the Commissioners meeting.(Rule#4 Attend the Commissiners meetings.)

Our best Commissioners, look good, they wear the full uniform, they keep promises. While not becoming part of the unit they are active in looking out for the best interests of the unit.

I always told my unit commissipners that they were the advocate for the unit. They were to try and keep us up to date of how we were doing as both a district and as a council.

Hope this helps.

Hi insanescouter:

I would encourage you to become a Unit Commissioner. As a UC, I learned more hints and techniques from visiting units than I did from attending any training.

The Commissioner team is there to help the unit bring the program to the youth. The sad thing is that 90% of units don't know what a Commissioner is or does for their unit. They most often see them at recharter time, if at all. The reason is that there are so few Commissioners. Read the book, attend training, and go meet your units. If you are lucky, you can get assigned to a strong unit, and learn from them. Then you can go assist units that have areas to develop. Helping units succeed at delivering the program is very rewarding.

The most effective method I've found is to:

Visit the unit and ask if there is anything you can do to help.

Never offer any advice unless you are asked.

If asked a question and you don't have an answer, say "I don't know, but I do know who to ask. I'll get you an answer in ... days," research the issue and get back with them, even if it is to say "I couldn't find out, but I'm still working on it."

There is a Yahoo! group for commissioners at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scouts_commissioners/. you have to get a Yahoo! ID, if you want to join, but there are previous posts you can read if it is of any assistance.

You can also search the 'net for Scout Commissioner for other resources.

Keep on Scoutin' ora

Hi scoutldr:

My guess the reason you've never encountered a Unit Commissioner is that you are a very good leader, and your units have never been in need. ;)

Sadly, there just aren't enough commissioners for every unit. If you aren't joking about not knowing what a commissioner is, reply to this post, or send me a private note, and I'll provide what information I have.

Keep on Scoutin' ora

Yes, my tongue was firmly planted in cheek. The reality is, it's extremely difficult to fill all the volunteer positions that "the book" says we should have ... especially in a "new" district such as ours (a 3 for 1 split). At the District meeting, the Chairman was lamenting the fact that we didn't have enough commissioners...but he was preaching to the choir...the few of us who showed up for the District meeting (and not a COR among us!) already are holding down 3-4 registered positions apiece. I do have a full time job and family, which more often than not, gets in the way of my Scouting career, so I have found myself increasingly sitting on my hands when the call goes out for help. Before I get too long-winded, perhaps it's time for the BSA to take a hard look at how best to use the shrinking pool of volunteer time that people are willing to donate. Do we really still need Unit Commissioners, or should we convert them into a mobile team of "Training Commissioners" or "mentors", so that Unit leaders are more confident and better trained? When we schedule formal training sessions, a typical turnout is 10-15 leaders...a mere fraction of those who need it; again the time demands on leaders are preventing them from giving up a weekend or a series of evenings to listen to a canned presentation which insults their adult intelligence. My concept is to handle "New Leader Essentials" and Youth Protection at the unit level (which I hear is the plan for "Pack Trainers", but hasn't been fully implemented), and then assigning each new leader a "mentor" (experienced leader) for one on one Leader Specific training who can be a phone call away to answer questions, offer encouragement, and share experiences of what works and what doesn't. Then, next year, that leader becomes a "mentor" for another new leader.