I know that leaders must take Youth Protection Training every two years. Later, I was told that the same is true for Safe Swim Defense and Safety Afloat. Now, I am being asked to retake This is Scouting, Leader Specific and Outdoor Leaders Skills...... While I can understand Youth Protection, I don't understand the need to retake the latter. What's the definitive word?

Sound like your records may be missing, and to be honest I would not be surprised.I had to redo training every single time I moved. if you got copy of your training cards, make copies and send to the council office and ask that they reenter the info into SCOUTNET.

From http://scouting.org/training/trainingupdates.aspx is this article

Training Recertification

Keeping Scouts safe and keeping Scouting leaders up to date with current information and methods means some of the BSA's training courses need to be retaken every couple of years.

We all know about Youth Protection training and National Camping School, but there are some othersincluding some that have recently been added to the list.

Below is a list of these courses and how often they should be retaken to be valid:

Youth Protectionevery two years

National Camping Schoolgood for five camping seasons

Safe Swim Defenseevery two years

Paddle Craft Safetyevery three years

Aquatics Supervision/Swimming and Water Rescueevery three years

BSA Lifeguardevery three years

Visitation trainingevery two years

Lead Climbing Instructorevery five years

Climbing Instructorevery two years

COPE/Climbing Inspectorevery two years

Safety Afloatevery two years

Chain Saw Safetyevery two years

Trainers EDGEevery three years

Hazardous Weatherevery two years

Physical Wellnessevery two years

Climb On Safelyevery two years

Trek Safelyevery two years

As other courses are introduced, or as our committees determine that courses have an expiration date, we will post them hereso keep watching!

By the way, the Volunteer Training Committee encourages you to take the most current training courses for your Scouting position even if there is no expiration, or even if you are considered trained as a result of taking an older course. It is always better for our Scouts when their leaders stay up to date!

I guess it depends on how long ago you took your basic Scoutmaster training, and who is asking you to repeat it.

Per BSA the basic training does not expire - ever. However you are expected to keep up to date.

If it is your charter organization that is asking you to renew your basic training, they are within their rights to request you to do so. Especially if your training was quite a while ago.

I would ask the person that is asking you to retake basic training their reasons behind the request.

FYI - From the BSA National Training Updates for Spring 2011 - http://scouting.org/training/trainingupdates.aspx

"Training Recertification

Keeping Scouts safe and keeping Scouting leaders up to date with current information and methods means some of the BSA's training courses need to be retaken every couple of years.

We all know about Youth Protection training and National Camping School, but there are some othersincluding some that have recently been added to the list.

Below is a list of these courses and how often they should be retaken to be valid:

Youth Protectionevery two years

National Camping Schoolgood for five camping seasons

Safe Swim Defenseevery two years

Paddle Craft Safetyevery three years

Aquatics Supervision/Swimming and Water Rescueevery three years

BSA Lifeguardevery three years

Visitation trainingevery two years

Lead Climbing Instructorevery five years

Climbing Instructorevery two years

COPE/Climbing Inspectorevery two years

Safety Afloatevery two years

Chain Saw Safetyevery two years

Trainers EDGEevery three years

Hazardous Weatherevery two years

Physical Wellnessevery two years

Climb On Safelyevery two years

Trek Safelyevery two years

As other courses are introduced, or as our committees determine that courses have an expiration date, we will post them hereso keep watching!

By the way, the Volunteer Training Committee encourages you to take the most current training courses for your Scouting position even if there is no expiration, or even if you are considered trained as a result of taking an older course. It is always better for our Scouts when their leaders stay up to date!