Greetings,

Was very active in Scouting with my son, and attended every type of training afforded from Cub Scouting to Wood Badge and OA brotherhood. Now getting back into it, after a 10 year break, with grandson and was wondering if there is a refresher course offered or once achieved your done. I do realize times change and things need to be updated but was wondering.

What position do you hold? (Or plan to hold?)

The first thing you should probably do is take Youth Protection training online. That is now required for registration for any position and even assuming you had it in the past, your certification would be out of date.

I don't think there's anything that quite qualifies as "refresher" training (but then again, I consider most of the skills training to be "refresh" material anyway - if someone's never been camping, I don't think IOLS is going to be enough...).

But, quite a bit of useful stuff has been put online. If you go to http://myscouting.scouting.org you can take Youth Protection Training (required every two years) on-line. You could also take the basic Safety courses (Safe Swim Defense, Climb On Safely, Safety Afloat, Trek Safely, and Weather Hazards) which it's useful to retake even if you've taken them before (concepts and protocols change every once in a while). You can do all that from the comfort of whatever passes for your home computer station!

You'll definitely need Youth Protection as that expires. You'll have to check with your Council whether they want to count your other old training. As somebody said, there's a lot of training you can do on-line now.

Yep check with your local district and council folks. Be advised that BSA uses SCOUTNET to keep track of records, and it is only as good as the person who enters the information. The theory is that you can switch councils, and using your personal info, those records will move with you.

Like I said that't the theory. In my expereince, moving to 5 councils in 7 years, not once did my records transfer with me.

While some things have changed, a lot has remained the same. besides the online training, I'd talk and see if you can do any self study work, or even help with some courses that your older trainging may be helpful with, i.e. Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO) for Cub Scout leaders, and Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills (IOLS) for Scout.

Oh, and by the way, thanks for volunteering (again).

If you're starting with grandson in cubs, the online stuff should be adequate for now. (I go over it myself from time to time by way of "refresher".) In fact if you took the time to knock all of those out, you'd be a step ahead of most committee members.

With boy scouts, I would actually suggest recertifying first aid and CPR training. If you're into shooting sports, being a certified instructor for firearms or archery can open up a lot of opportunities for the troop. If you had BSA guard, try re-updating (although those sprints seem to get harder every year).

The first person to talk to is your pack/troop committee chair. There's lots of good reasons for that, but the main one is that there may be someone else who needs trained, and you could partner with them to get it done.

It's timely as BALOO course will be conducted by the Old Colony Council on May 7, 9am - 4:30pm at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, 379 Gardner St, Hingham, MA. Required are 2 adult trained leaders, a class A uniform and your cub leader handbook or you can still proceed without that handbook (I think). It will cost you $15.00/person.

• 2 months later...

"How Long are Trainings good for?

You are considered Trained for as long as you stay in your registered position, if you change positions you must take training for that new position. Only the Youth Protection Training must be retaken every two years."

So sayeth Texas. So shall it be.

(Not including certifications issued by other organizations, NRA, Red Cross, etc.)(This message has been edited by Alabama Scouter)

From the BSA Spring 2011 Training Update -

http://scouting.org/training/trainingupdates.aspx

Training Recertification

Keeping Scouts safe and keeping Scouting leaders up to date with current information and methods means some of the BSA's training courses need to be retaken every couple of years.

We all know about Youth Protection training and National Camping School, but there are some othersincluding some that have recently been added to the list.

Below is a list of these courses and how often they should be retaken to be valid:

Youth Protectionevery two years

National Camping Schoolgood for five camping seasons

Safe Swim Defenseevery two years

Paddle Craft Safetyevery three years

Aquatics Supervision/Swimming and Water Rescueevery three years

BSA Lifeguardevery three years

Visitation trainingevery two years

Lead Climbing Instructorevery five years

Climbing Instructorevery two years

COPE/Climbing Inspectorevery two years

Safety Afloatevery two years

Chain Saw Safetyevery two years

Trainers EDGEevery three years

Hazardous Weatherevery two years

Physical Wellnessevery two years

Climb On Safelyevery two years

Trek Safelyevery two years

As other courses are introduced, or as our committees determine that courses have an expiration date, we will post them hereso keep watching!

By the way, the Volunteer Training Committee encourages you to take the most current training courses for your Scouting position even if there is no expiration, or even if you are considered trained as a result of taking an older course. It is always better for our Scouts when their leaders stay up to date!

OOPS!.

The new Tour Plan states "expiration date of commitment card/training (two years from completion date), exceptions are BALOO (no expiration) and Aquatics Supervision (3 years).

So, it appears the new Tour Plan is adding a contradictory

requirement on training.

Which is right?

Will National come out with a clarification?

(PS, looks like Scoutnut did just that! thanks!)(This message has been edited by Alabama Scouter)

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome back to scouting.

One other thing that you may not be aware of that is important to record keeping is that a few years ago BSA implemented membership numbers that are supposed to follow you around. If it has been ten years since you were last registered, chances are that you do not yet have such a number.

Of course BSA does not make it easy to find out what your number is. The number is printed on your membership card that will come with the rechartering package after the unit is rechartered. A lot of unit committee chairs do not automatically distribute these cards. You need to seek this out, and use the information. That way you increase the liklihood that you will be properly credited for all the training that you do.

• 2 months later...

They SAY that Camp School certs are good for 5 camping seasons, BUT mine expire on December 31st, roughly 4 years and 6 months after getting them. I run Aquatics January- June, so I'm going back every 4 years.

They are referring to Summer Camp/Day Camp seasons. So my NCS cert that I got in Mar. 2010 is good for the Summmers 2010, 11,12,13,14. Hence it expires in 2014. Reminds me, cant get recert in 2014 and I need to be a TCDL that summer with youngest.