What methods do you use and find effective to encourage Cub Scout Training among adults?

I don't have a pack trainer, and don't expect to recruit one soon. We have other priorities in my struggling pack.

I just sent out an e-mail announcement on BALOO, really my first effort. Unfortunately, it conflicts with den outing we are doing the same day ---- sigh.

To be candid, I don't expect to have the time to talk to people much about training to as a method of selling and encouraging participation. Again, other priorities.

The pack is willing to pay for training costs.

Whatever strategies anyone here has, I would love to hear them. We have a hard time encouraging training beyond the stuff you can get online.

I think an issue I have is just how long training takes. I gave up an entire Saturday for BALOO and that is one of the most basic trainings out there for cubs. I wanted to take OWL, but dang it, a WHOLE weekend? It just seems a lot to ask of any busy parent. And what if you are a single parent?

A couple of people in my pack wanted to be have the Swimming Certification. Or whatever it is called. The thing you need to have so our pack could hold swimming events over the summer. Well, in my district they are offering one: one Saturday at the training center from 8 to 5 AND the WHOLE ENTIRE Memorial Weekend (from Friday 7pm until Monday 5pm). Seriously, that's lot to ask. Needless to say, it discouraged everyone and now no one wants to do it.

I have leaders willing to do the training (mostly because it is the right thing to do) but the districts and council put out the information so late, it results in schedule conflicts. And to find out about training in any district other than our own, I have to scroll through the council calendar and hope someone put it there. The system isn't very efficient.

momof2cubs, are you sure that swimming certification isn't being offered in multiple sessions over Memorial weekend? That would make more sense given the topic.

If memory serves, only Safe Swim Defense is needed for swimming events, and it can be done online. Good news is that it can be doen anywhere at anytime. Bad news is that if you've done and taught SSD, you cannot go straight to the questions, but must go through the entire online video. Oh well.

Is there a resource that lists all training in one place? ie:

Cub Scout

YPT - REQUIRED

a- Tiger Leader

b- Den Leader

c- WEb Leader

__OWLS

d- CM Specifics

e- BALOO

Hazardous Weather

Boy Scouts

Etc...

It would be nice to have a guide to the maze that a new person could follow.

Of course if you lay it all out on one page, with links to course descriptions, you might scare away a lot of potential volunteers.

I've found that creating a culture that _expects_ leaders to be trained rather that offering it as an option is the key. I know that its hard when info is released late, but remember that you don't have to attend your district's training. If another near by district offers sessions that are convenient, you can attend.

Start checking with your district/council trainers now for next fall's training. In most cases, they have set those dates, because the council expects it. Even if locations aren't known, if you get the dates on your unit calendars, your leaders can plan ahead. Keep checking your council web site for info and nagging the district training chair for dates.

This page has a full list of all trainings for all programs: http://scouting.org/training/adult.aspx

"What makes a trained leader?"

http://scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/What_makes_a_trained_leader.pdf

Infoscouter, I try to do all those things. But really? I shouldn't have to. My council and my district has email, snail mail, Facebook, blogs...in addition to the pony and roundtable. It would be infinitely more efficient to use those communication channels to advertise training than to have someone from each unit 'nag' the district trainer chair as you advise.

I worked with my Webelos leaders to sign up for Outdoor Leaders Skills training this weekend. Plans were shifted, physicals/medical forms completed, registration completed. It was canceled for lack of participation. I can't help but feel that if the training was better advertised, there would be more attendees. What a waste of everyone's time. We had a similar situation last spring where we had a group signed up for several different courses at a training session. Babysitters, carpools, dinner plans were made. Cancelled at the last minute due to lack of participation.

It is getting harder to convince my leaders that they need training when it seems like we have to beg for it.

Joebob wanted training all in one place.

this isn't bad

http://www.grandcanyonbsa.org/openrosters/docdownload.aspx?ID=67200

althought it's a bit difficult for a newbie to get.

breaks down to all cub scout leaders need

youth protection training

This is scouting

Fast start for their program level (so tiger, wolf, bear, webelos, committee, cubmaser)

Leader specific for their program level

to go on a pack campout and get a tour permit/plan

someone should have

weather hazards

and baloo

to take the pack swimming someone (several) should have

Swim Safety*

Webelos leaders should have OWL-outdoor webelos leader training, called by different names it seems in different councils, and is the equivalent of what the boy scout leader are taking.

*note, for our pack we do swimming in the summer at a local community pool with built in lifeguards. We still do buddy system and swim checks to guage ability groups and designated swimming areas of the community pool. Less risk than if we take them to the river/lake without lifeguards on duty. In that instance you can appoint your best swimmers as lifeguards and still suffice, but I'd err on the side of caution when dealing with little guys who may not know how to swim at all.

I didn't get trained up until my 2nd year as Tiger leader. I sure wish I had --the Tiger boot camp I put my first boys through!

I had a very hard time finding time for the training until they provided it in my neck of town. So my advice is make it as easy as possible on your leaders. Take it to them if possible, feed em, and provide some child care. We have had some training over a pack campout--everybody was there anyway. The YPT online training has helped as well. We were lucky as our Cubmaster was the district trainer as well.

Just a thought, our DE is really pushing to get all leaders trained. Our CO is all for it (luckily) and has said if folks volunteer and don't have the time, they will make sure someone comes to us to provide the training we need. So, you might see if that is an option. Now, if we can just get more parents to volunteer.