I think a new Scout Leader needs to spend some time being the Scout Leader before taking Woodbadge.

Much like what Tom Peters said to the Deans of Graduate Business School back in the late 80s early 90s ... "No one should attend an MBA program who has not worked for at least 10 years, and has supervised 10 people. That way, they can stand-up and say "BS" to the instructor when required." (This came from a video address he did, which I saw when I took an Executive Development program back in the late-80s.)

You need to have some "real world" experience before you take Woodbadge so you can get the full understanding of what is being taught.

Answer is a simple No.. Need??? No.. no one Needs..

Good idea for those who might be at head positions or wanting to someday be in a head position for thier unit the CM, SM, CC..

Great suggestion for those who have got Scouting fever, and can not get enough of it.

For some if they want a good leadership course for helping with their careers, this is a good suggestion on how to get one at a fraction of the cost of some of the professional seminars..

From a district Trainer position, yes we promote it, but it is not promoted as mandatory training as other things now are.. It is promoted so that people hear about it, and you may hear it at every course, but that is because you may not be fully trained for your position at the first or second course you take, or not have the time.. But, there may come a time that you hear about it, and it hits at the right time in your life that it becomes something of interest to you..

I also promote the IOLS & OWLS & BALOO training not once, not twice but over & over at round table and through email blasts.. I just sent out my last email blast with less then a week to go before the course, to get the attention of those famous procrastinators that it is now or never to sign up.. But if they don't sign up now, there is always next time, or there is the neighboring districts training, or you can choose not to get the training and risk needing to give up you position in a year or two..

Getting the word out does not mean anyone is saying you need to.. Just if you are interested, here is a reminder of when it is coming up..

Don't want to get into the "is Wood Badge worth it" type discussion but making the assumption that "training is good" I think the real question is when is the best time to take Wood Badge?

I don't believe Wood Badge is one of those mysterious, need plenty of experience before you take it, type courses. It is simply a supplemental training course. I say take it immediately after one is trained in their position. That usually means, for most, they've served in that position for at least one year. Then, IMO, sign up for Wood Badge.

The only draw back to this approach, is that many times, Wood Badge can rekindle the fire that sometimes starts to smolder after about 5 - 7 years or so of volunteering.

In my case, I had been a Cub Scout leader (Tiger Partner, Den Leader (Wolf, Bear) and had finished one year of being a Webelos Den Leader (younger son) and Assistant Scoutmaster (older son) when I took Wood Badge. It worked well for me.

So maybe in one's second or third year but no, don't wait 10 years!(This message has been edited by acco40)

Frankly, I think Wood Badge is over hyped. Way too many Wood Badge promotions are done, and that doesn't even include beading ceremonies which are usually Wood Badge advertizements.

We ought to be placing most of our attention on promoting regular training opportunities and courses.

Wood Badge is fine supplemental training for those who want to spend the extra time and money on it.

For a person who plans a long term "career" as a Scouter, it should encourage unit Scouters to participate more in district and council activities, which is good. And it sets a tradition of "working your ticket" for life, which is fine too.

Is it a hype? Perhaps, I resisted the invitations to do Wood Badge for over 8 years. I finally decided what the hey and try it out. I thought about it back when thinking that it is probably another "feel good," BSA idealistic, "ain't gonna happen in a real world" training. Am I sold on it, partially. When many of the stuffs are idealistic, but it illustrates that patrol method should be. Yes, a whole bunch of adults make it look easy, but elements of it provide the examples that I was looking for. As any leadership class(es), you take what YOU come away from it. The gentleman has the sparkles of excitement of being a new Scoutmaster. Let come into the troop with the ideas (and ideals) of what it should be. He eventually, like the rest of us adapt to the situation at hand.

Perhaps, acco40 is correct. Maybe one should be a veteran before one takes wood badge. In my wood badge class, there weren't many "old timers." There were 6-10 Webelos/CM/CC leaders who were looking for answers. There were 7-10 new ASMs and then there were the rest of us who sometimes think that we know the answers. You know what? I found out that I and the others don't have all the answers. I found out that I learned for the newcomers as well as other old timers. The best part of Wood Badge and all other BSA training (as matter of fact, any training) ... are the lessons learned from others, who will, who are, or who went through the same situation. Afterward, I asked my fellow attendees "was it worth it?" They all answered ... "yes."

Basement ... I'm not sure where or how wood badge did you wrong, but to me, it's another resource that can help to unravel the mystery of training young boys into young men into young leaders! Are there better leadership course out there? You bet ya.

Am I a district cheerleader or a council hoorah? By far, I am their worst critic. Wood badge as with other BSA training courses. They are as good as the trainers who conduct them and the attendees who get what s(he) came to seek.

YIS,

1Hour

ps: this is NOT a paid message for Wood Badge.

Everyone NEED it... nah.

End-All, be-all of BSA Training, ... nah.

Good opportunity to stretch fellowship/leadership/planning skills... yep!

I took my Wood Badge course because my time as Cub Master was winding down, and I had gotten interested in Council/District training.

In fact, in weekend 1 I had my CM patch, and weekend 2 I had my ASM patch.

I worked the planning/running of district BALOO, Position specific and Outdoor Leader training. I atribute getting started on most of that from my Wood Badge efforts.

So, I would reccommed Wood Badge for the fellowship that will outlast the initial experience.

It's not so much that people need wood badge, it's more that your unit needs its leaders to go to wood badge. Wood badge gets people to push a little out of their comfort zone, go beyond the call of duty, and so your unit will benefit greatly by its leaders participating.

Regarding what the participant gets out of it, there are aspects of Wood Badge that would benefit anybody. You learn leadership, team building, communication, etc. A lot of it is stuff you can apply to your every day life and work, not just your work in the troop. But even if you already know most the stuff they will be teaching, it is still worth it just for the experience. In the process you'll learn things about yourself that aren't on any syllabus.

After being a Scouter for almost a decade I haven't stopped learning. I'm sure there are people who've done it much longer who will say the same thing.

"Frankly, I think Wood Badge is over hyped. Way too many Wood Badge promotions are done, and that doesn't even include beading ceremonies which are usually Wood Badge advertizements."

I wonder if that has to do with the ability to meet the minimum participation requirements or to fill a course. One thing I've noticed is the last minute nature of signing up for just about anything.

No, I don't think it's needed, but I do recommend it.

I do think one should have at least a year of experience under their belt so they understand their role in the grand scheme of things. I think it makes the ticket writing part a bit easier.

"Does everyone need wood badge?"

Does everyone need a car?

When I lived in London, I could have got by without a car. There was lots of buses, trains and taxis.

So the answer is no.

I do think that a well run course doesn't do any harm and in most cases can help our volunteers become even better leaders.

It isn't going to change people.

If you send a twit to training all you get at the end is a trained twit.

Ea.

Does everyone "need" to take it? No.....and that is coming from a 3 time staffer. Will it hurt anyone to take it? No. When has additional training ever hurt anyone? I think any scouter should be open to it, but they need to do it when and if they feel the time is right. Back when I registered as a volunteer in a Pack, I did so in April and took WB in September. I never had any regrets taking it that soon.

I'm taking WB this fall. I've put it off, for one reason, or another for 25 years. I resisted all that pushing, and propaganda, waiting until it was something I wanted to do. Serving 25 years as a scouter before attending WB is pretty extreme, I dont necessarily suggest that, but Ive been busy 

Im more mature, and experienced now. I hope to not only get a lot from the training, but give back, by being a good patrol member. I have an idea what WB is now, I think, and hope it will temper me as a scouter.

I'm coming late to this discussion, but I'd answer it differently.

No, not everyone needs Wood Badge. I don't even think most should take Wood Badge.

The ticket process can be a very time consuming, yet rewarding, process. However, unless you are really willing to invest the effort to complete the ticket, I'd say don't start the program.