What constitutes "Trained" for Troop Committee Member?

The reason I was wondering was I was under the impression that I have the minimum training to be considered trained but want to be sure. I have done all training from all four groupings that is online except the two courses given in Spanish for Cub Scouts. For some reason I feel like there should be something else, like a course you would take in a small group setting.

Given that, I am going to take OLS and WB this year and have already taken BALOO last year. The SM plans to have me in ASM by end of year. What else do I need for training to finish up for ASM. I am also wanting to take OWLS for future plans and was wondering if there was anything else I would need to take as far as WEBELOS and Cub Master also? I know it sounds like alot, but I do not plan on doing all at once but want to have all training aside when the time comes.Never know when the experience or learning I get now might also help with something in a different area also.

Troop Committee Members need the following courses to be considered trained: This is Scouting; Fast Start: Boy Scouting; Troop Committee Challenge; and Youth Protection. All the courses are available online.

Chazz Lees

I am not sure I have it right, you kindof rambled.

I have got Troop Committee Member, ASM both troop, then lots of training for Cubs the BALOO is cub scouts, the OWLS is cub scouts.. I am not sure what OLS.. If that is what I call IOLS (Intro to outdoor Leader Skills)(That is 95% the same as OWLS, but the training card needs to read IOLS for it to count for ASM) then that is something you need for ASM.. You also need Boy Scout ScoutMaster/ASM Specific Training (which is slated to go on-line, but has yet to do so. So to take it you must look for a course offering..

Then on-line, you need troop level Fast Start & Youth Protection & This is scouting for both TCM and ASM. Then on-line Troop committee Challenge for Committee member.. For ASM, it is helpful for you to have some of the optional Hazardous Weather, Safe Swim, Safty afloat etc.. One adult leader on every outdoor event will need the Hazardous weather.. The others will come up depending on the activity the troop partakes in..

If you are not in CS, then don't take the OWLS.. It would be a waste of your time. Take the IOLS..

Thats the way I was reading it, but just wanted to make sure. It just seems too easy, but I am new to Scouting. I am used to having to take plenty of training yearly(My wife and are in foster care with a private organization), and we are only allowed a few hours online. The rest comes from classes in small groups. Is there a list of classes that are in person only?

Sorry about the rambling

Currently BS:Troop committee (Primary)

CS: WEB2 Assistant

Near Future BS:ASM (Primary)

CS:Pack Committee/Troop Liason

After that, anything that needs done as the situation arrises.

The pack CM wants me ACM so bad he can taste it. I try to explain I do not want to over do it and that nobody wins if I do. I have two boys just moving into Boy Scouts, one will be there next year, and a 4 year old that will be in Cub Scouts in about 2 years. Do the math,I have about 13 years to go not including my plans on at least being on Troop and/or Cub Committee after the boy's time is done. I do not plan on leaving when the boys age out. I want to be an asset to both Boys and Cubs in the future if possible. That is why I would like to take all training as I find time.

Sorry about the smiley I didn't mean for it to go in there, that shoud read Pack. As far as online, as I have said, if it is online I have taken it. So if I read right, Troop Committee I am fine. For ASM,after I finish IOLS, I need a group course for SM/ASM Specific Training.

Let's see, I've been a Scout Leader for 34 years with 3 troops. 2 Years as ASM, followed by 28 as SM, and now back to ASM again. I never did Scout Leader Basic, but went to Woodbadge and got my beads. I was grandfathered as graduating Scout Leader Basic and then spent the next 10 years on SLBT Staff serving every role from Patrol Counselor to SM. I've done YP, Safety Afloat and Safe Swim more times than I can remember and here is what BSA has for my training. Do they consider me trained?

New Leader Essentials

Wood Badge

The Troop Meeting

Troop Organization

The Outdoor Program

Intro To Outdoor Leadership Skills

Boy Scout Leader Basic Training

Scoutmaster Specific Training

Fast Start

Weather Hazards

Youth Protection

here's a link to the national PDF on "What Makes a Trained Leader"

http://scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/What_makes_a_trained_leader.pdf

Also this link may help

http://scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/BoyScouts/Adults/Training/Trained%20Leader.aspx

What I find intersting is that Troop Committee Challenge is listed as "supplemental" training, and not position specific on the pdf, and not mentioned at all on the second link, go figure.

• 4 weeks later...

What Adult training must be renewed every two years? I know the Youth Protection must be taken every two years, but was only made aware that Safe Swim , Hazardous Weather, Safety Afloat needed to be renewed as well after I sumbitted the new Tour permit and was denied. I can not find anywhere on the net so far that it states what training runs out after two years. Even mysouting.org still has me as completing those courses. Maybe they should turn a different color before they run out and then go back to "not taken" if they are no longer good.

If you filled out the Tour Plan then you knew there was a 2-year expiration on those trainings. It states it clearly, and requires you to enter the expiration date for each training, for each adult.

To find a complete list of what expires when read through the "Training" section on the BSA National Website. There is a current list in the Spring 2011 Training Updates.

http://scouting.org/training/trainingupdates.aspx