Getting leaders CPR trained and certifies

'Fish,

I'd figure since you use to be a VFD chief and SAR guy, you would still have some contacts with the FD about some classes, or at least to point you in the right direction. You might check some of the community centers or Parks and Recreation for classes offered to the public that are AHA or ARC certified.

One of the Battalion Chiefs in a neighboring city offers CPR/AED to our Troop or any Scouting Group, (BSA,GSUSA, etc) for free. That's his gift back to Scouting for what it's done for him and his sons'. When we took ours, we got all the participants to chip in what would have been the cost of the course, and got the station Gift Cards to some of the local eateries and grocery stores.

He actually taught real world situation backed by real world experience, instead of the "boring" film and brain overload on stats and figures.

Well...the thing about being on the VFD and Water Rescue is that - it was over 15 years ago.

For Water Rescue, we , along with two other coastal Fire Depts, actually contracted a company out of Fla to teach us. Florida Public Safety.

When we took our certified CPR classes back then, it was through the local community College, who was in turn contrated by the county on behalf of and under the guidelines on the state who followed the Dept of Human Resources/ Offife of Emergency Medical Services.

The Red CRoss was set uop, and contracted for their part by someboduy in an office 185 miles away and who nobody ever saw. Even most of the county level people didn't have a name or a face to go with the name if they did know it.

Plus, it was ovver 15 years ago. The instructors I took classes under are mostly retired now.

But I did get ahold of a local compaany that teaches a certified AHA CPR/AED class.

2 1/2 hour class for $23.00 and everybody ge4ts their own maniquinn to use .

I just took the new ARC course Wed night and you DO care about AED training because it's a part of the new curriculum. It's not hard -- just be aware of what type of machine you have and listen to its instructions -- but it is now part of the four-step critical process.

Yep AED is standard with CPR now. NA dyou can use an AED on Adults, children, and infants, another new thing.

Be advised though, Some AEDs have not been reprogrammed/updated, and I don't even know if they can be updated, with the new CPR steps.