Criminal Background Checks

I have reconsidered the conciliatory way I have approached this issue. The problem of identity theft is very troublesome to me. And after following another thread on recordkeeping, I am a lot more critical of this new policy. Especially if BSA is going to collect and maintain sensitive personal information on the volunteers.

After my experience with our troop records and after hearing all the similar experiences elsewhere, how can we trust these ham-handed clods to safeguard our identities where they can't even keep a list of former Eagle scouts?! For anyone paranoid that their name, SS#, birth date, and other information is in the custody of ignoramuses in some government agency, the thought of even less-capable yahoos in BSA holding that information should give them great pause. No, as custodians of records of any kind, they fail on the first point of the law, not maliciously, just stupidly. They can't be trusted. I won't hestitate to comply with the background check... but if my identity is 'borrowed' as a result, my reaction will be severe and with great prejudice.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, pack, your information is already "out there"...anyone with a computer and internet access can learn anything they want about you. In VA, your SSN is on your driver's license and every time I write a check, the clerk demands to see it and writes it down. BSA is just paying a contractor to search the "public sources" for information because it's more cost effective for the large volume that they expect. If you want an eye-opening experience, type your full name into Google and see how many hits you get. For genealogists, it's a wonderful thing!

scoutldr, I am realistic about this and I agree that the info may already be out of control. I will still resist. (I don't pay by check if the vendor requires a SSN; I use a credit card or I find another vendor) I was outraged recently when I found out that my state was selling citizens' auto-license info to industry (BSA could well do the same). It made me suspicious of other info-gathering efforts. So...it should be unnecessary for BSA to require us to provide the info if it's already out there for them, right? As I said, I'll play along but I'll bite back if they get out of line.

Isn't information wonderfull? Already we have sparked questions. Keep it up folks, it is our right to know. To the others who wish to limit our knowledge? Screw you, and you all know who you are. HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! Not this time!

ASM1

• 2 weeks later...

ASM1, the story you weave in really bizarre. I live in an area that pretty conservative. Within 5 miles (in all directsion), there are probably 10 troops. In all of my years in the Troop, Pack and District, I have never seen any indication of political leanings. In my troop, I can only guess if people are Republican or Democrat based on comments made in the past. Even then, I really don't know.

However, the one thing that I have noticed is that Troops have a personality. It is usually defined by the core leaders, pushed by the Scoutmaster and those leaders in power. If that Troop's personality doesn't meet yours, then you probably won't be happy there. My guess is that your former Troop has a very strange group of Core Leaders and the Image of Scouting being projected is theirs and not the BSA.

Find a Scouting home that reflects your personality and views, leave the warped Troop and quit blaming the BSA

I can't believe that anyone would discourage the BSA from conducting backgroud checks. I am the chief investigtor for a sheriffs department and work child victimization crimes. It is a fact that child predators will seek out any means necessary to gain access to children. Who thinks that the Boy Scouts are excluded?

I am not sure that a private company would best serve the needs of the BSA, but when you look at a national orginization this might work better. Individual states have various requirements to conduct criminal records checks. So it might be easier for a national based company to do it.

I salute the BSA for what they are doing. I also do not think that the BSA is moving to the right. One comment that was made earlier about the "Twilight Zone Troop" was right on. I am an eagle scout and now have two sons in scouting and I have never seen any such thing and if I ever do, I will find another troop.

cmcmullen, I salute you and everything you do and stand for. I feel you may have gotten the opinion that I am against background checks. I am not. I am all for it! But I am totally against the private firms selected to provide these checks. There were two mentioned here. I have personal experience with both of them. They are nothing but right wing conservative data farms. My argument was that law enforcement should be the ones to provide these checks on a local besis. Easy to do. Maybe you have 4 or 5 troops in you area. Maybe 3 or 4 new adult leaders a year, maybe a few more. Local authorities should provide these checks through their agencies and the FBI. You do it for your empoyment, why not for the BSA in your community?

Gob Bless you. We are all under trying time now.

ASM1