Criminal Background Checks

Anyone see this?

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Boy Scouts of America will require criminal background checks of new adult volunteers beginning next year, it announced Wednesday.

The checks will be based on new application forms in which the applicant gives permission for the checks to be done, spokesman Gregg Shields said. The forms must be filled out by adult volunteers for the organizations varied arms, including Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts and Explorer.

Those who do not get clearance won't be allowed to join, he said.

The organizations's national executive council engaged ChoicePoint, an information management company to handle the program, which will be called VolunteerSelect, Shields said. ChoicePoint will review national and state government databases.

The requirements will take effect April 1, allowing time for the new forms to be distributed and for the policy change to be explained to all volunteers, Shields said.

The backgrounds of current adult volunteers are not being checked. But Shields says that might be required in years to come.

"We have as our highest goal to protect the children involved in Boy Scouting," he said. "To date, it's been difficult to do such a background check because of all of the data is not in one spot."

Membership will be prohibited if the checks turn up convictions for sex crimes, crimes of violence or drug offenses.

Findings in the background checks will be divulged only to the chief executive of a regional council, who would tell local-level officials only that an applicant does not meet the standard, Shields said. Those who are rejected will be given the opportunity to review and challenge any adverse information.

Other youth organizations, such as Little League, already require background checks of adult volunteers.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WAY too long overdue if you ask me. And I would waste no time in requiring them for current adult volunteers. We can't trust the troops and their committees to do it because it just is'nt being done for the most part...there are some who do, but we need to cover for the ones who don't.

• 1 month later...

It was my impression that they are asking for ALL adults to go through the process - new and old.

This is the statement on the new forms:

"By submitting this application you are authorizing a criminal background check of yourself. This check will be made from public record sources. You will have an opportunity to review and challenge any adverse information disclosed by the check.

Please not the clause to challenge results. No one should get booted because of an error.

I was in our Council's Commissioners Conference when they covered this. Our council has indicated that no new leaders will be accepted without a background check and they have the goal to complete the checks on current members by the end of the year.

There are different categories for background check results, Category one is a automatic rejection to be a volunteer in the BSA, this includes such convictions for Rape, Murder, Manslaughter, Sexual Abuse, Sexual Assault, other crimes of a sexual nature, Misc types of assault and domestic violence.

I am told if a person fails the background check they will be contacted directly by the council exec, and given the explanation. There is an appeal process, then the chartered organization will be notified that the applicant cannot be accepted due to the results from the background check, but the type of offence and details will be confidential between the council exec and the applicant.

I too believe this is a great step toward child protection.

I too am in favor of background checks to verify WHO our children are being led by. BUT! The organizations mentioned, ChoicePoint, and VolunteerSelect are not law inforcement agencies who should be performing these background checks, but rather corporate right wing selection agencies who screen political candidates for organizations who wish political purity. How do I know this? I am CEO of a corporation who has interviewed both of these organizations for our background checks on employees, and we showed them the door quickly. I fear that there is a movement within BSA to limit Boy Scouts to Repulican candidates. I know this sounds way off base, and I really hope it is. But in all honesty, BSA will never serve any of our youth unless it practices the "Diversity" it preaches. We are all Americans. Let's raise our children that way too.

ASM1

Thanks for the info ASM1...I was smelling a red herring and starting to do my own checks on this company.

For myself, I'm not yet sold on blanket background checks as they side step the 4th, 5th and 6th Admendments ignoring PC. No matter how noble National trys to sugar coat their reasons I sense that something is very much amiss. Would love to read the memos, letters and the contract between National and this company to see the real reason for this course of action....until then, I'm not on the bandwagon...

le Voyageur, I am fearing the real reason is quite clear. I pray every night I am wrong. After 35 years in scouting with two sons in leadership positions and my youngest approaching his Eagle, I am seeing a very different BSA than I grew up with. My two oldest sons, both military and one with combat experience have told me that BSA is not what it used to be. Both have expressed disires of leaving the program. I beg them not to. My grandson is of age to join Tiger Cubs and I am looking forward to starting the program all over again with him. But his father is asking questions. I cannot blame him. I see it in my council at every Roundtable. It has moved away from scouting teaching, to political preaching. I come home from every meeting excited about the new training activities, and sick to my stomach from all the right wing propaganda. Sometimes it sounds like the doctrine of the Hitler youth program. They are literally teaching my child that if he is not a Repulican, he is guilty of treason. That offends me. We have been thrown out of a troop because of being a Democrat. The movement even tried to have us removed from scouting. But owning this corporation I was able to charter our own troop and teach real scouting. Our members are both Repulicans and Democrats. Even have a couple Independants. It is not about us. It is about our children. Do we want to raise them hating people who think differently?

ASM1

Do understand where you're coming from, as for myself I'm seeing a push to turn BSA into an ultra right wing Christian fundlementalist movement.

Being a non Christian I expect that someday down the road I'll be getting my walking papers unless I convert (this won't happen). But, nontheless I've been thinking about making this my last year with the organization because it no longer feels like Scouting. It's core has been gutted out and stuffed with too much politics and fundlementalism....

le Voyageur, please do not consider leaving the program. It still is the very best program offered to our youth. It is up to people like you and I to keep it honest. We can do that. Scouting has taught me wonders of education for youth. I am just very upset with the present doctrine. But doctrines change, and as long as we all keep our youth in sight as the priority, I think we will previal. Keep our perspective, and keep our reality. We can make it work. I refuse to give up. As long as I have influense with my sons, I will always try to convince them that scouting has absolutely nothing to do with politics, and they are Americans for thinking with diversity, not traitors.

ASM1

I'll not comment on the changes in the BSA yet, but on the issue of background checks:

They're best for Scouting. All other issues aside, they are best for the program of which we all are members.

It's a necessary change, one that would have come either in the midst of tranquility or in the midst of scandal. The BSA simply chose the right time to do it. Otherwise, it could have been five or ten years down the road or it could never have happened, but the BSA is going to be hit or could have been hit with some scandal. These background checks provide an element of acting upon the information, much as the Catholic Church did not.

All other questions aside, background checks can save the BSA from itself.

I am all for background checks also. They must be a part of scouting in today's world and should not be overlooked. My concerns were that they be performed by law enforcement agancies instead of organizations. After all, that is what the FBI does best. Why go anywhere else?

ASM1