Parent Cannot Read for Youth Protection course

What do you do when you have a parent in your troop that cannot (or will not) read to take the online training courses like Youth Protection? This parent has indicated that he/she would like to become an ASM, but cannot (or will not) take the required online training? Is there a classroom version available?

Contact your district training chair (or just contact your DE and find out who this person is). Ask them if they would do an in-person YPT if it becomes necessary.

Now, I have to ask: is this person really illiterate? While I can imagine some scenarios where a person would have a legitimate reason for not being able to do an online class, the literacy rate in the US is about 99% so I would be kind of surprised to find that it is actually a literacy issue here.

Yes ... YPT can be done in a classroom form. We did them extensively last year to get all of our volunteers trained for re-charter.

Check with your Unit Commissioner, District Training Chairman, or District Executive.

Well... if they CANNOT read, then how are they going to read and sign the adult leader application? And do you mean they cannot read at all, or cannot read English? I am sure there have been leaders over the years who had to have things translated for them. But I sense that that is not really the issue here.

If the issue is that they CAN take the online course, but choose not to, I don't know what to say. It's really not too much to ask that they take the course in the way that it is offered, which is online.

Some councils may still give the in-person course. I believe the DVD's are still available. Before last summer, in my council, you HAD to take the in-person course if you had never taken YP training before. After the policy change last summer, they have discontinued the in-person course. I suppose it could be done in-person by special arrangement if there is a good reason to do it, and someone who is certified as a YPT facilitator (in councils that require such a thing) is willing to do it.

Well,

This person was trained before in a classroom, but when it came time to do it online, they kept coming up with all sorts of excuses, but their spouse didn't have any problem.

Pete, there is a big difference between someone that can't read and someone that won't. I'm surprised that there could be anyone that can't read. I just googled it, the US has a 99% literacy rate.

I am trying to understand why this person won't take the YPT on-line. Could it be they don't have internet at home? Or even a computer? Maybe it's a matter of informing them they can use the facilities in a library? Or maybe they are not very computer literate? Maybe they just need a little help in learning how to access the internet for instance?

I don't mean to be rude, but if they can't read, how are they going to sign off on anything? Or read any of the training material?

I have to agree with NJ Cub on this one. This is probably someone you really do not want as an ASM if he won't even do the basic steps in getting there. He probably would not be the best role model for the boys and wind up causing you more grieve in the long run.

I wonder how they would do here -- where you need to be fully trained by recharter in November -- that means "This is Scouting", YPT, "Fast Start", SM Position Specific and IOLS ...

Don't get me wrong, as I said before, there is a way YPT can be done in a class -- but will this person ever become a "trained" leader -- and do you want direct contact leaders who are not trained?

Yep. If this person won't bother to do this, then let their leadership registration lapse. Either they really don't care all that much, or they've chosen a really dumb hill to make a stand on, and who knows what their next stand will be. Either way, not a great start to being an ASM.

So much for diversity.

Two have stated that the US is 99% literate. That leaves a meager 1%. If that 1% is spread evenly among us, then we all know somebody who falls into that category. Are we supposed to shun them? Is that what I'm reading? How about the others in those low percentages? Do we shun them too? ADD? Dyslectic? How about rotten grades in high school? Maybe they never finished. Will learning disabilities make them lousy ASMs?

Here I go, John.... sounds a bit judgemental. We don't know this guy, and we're pushing him away, because we think he's incapable of helping our kids.

If he's got the right attitude, I'll take him.

BDPT00

I am starting to think that maybe he/she just can't read the computer screen very well. He/she is a nice person, very helpful with all of the scouts. He/she teaches them, as well as a youth leader, then has the youth leader help out the scouts. In our troop, the youth can sign off on ranks, so this works. The you does the actual teaching with this person watching. Everyone learns. This person really loves the scouting program, and is always helping out the youth, everything that you would want in an ASM.

Pete

Eventually, all pertubations of human variation are exhibited.

I would counsel you approach this parent privately and ask politely and sympathetically whether or not they can read, if there is a problem with the computer screen, if they would like some confidential help with the training? Be careful and explain you have no desire to embarrass them, that you want them to be able to assist in the Scout program and there are ways to fulfill the requirement that they take the training. Possibilities have been offered: 1) In person, you watch a DVD and answer some discussion questions in person , either alone with the trainer, or in a small group ( I have led such a group. The DVD is very good) 2) Someone, in private, helps to read the computer screen to them, helps them answer the questions and choices as they direct, much like a vision impaired person casts their vote with the assistance of a election judge (or two!). 3) Check with the Training Chair of your District or DE. They may have other possibilities.

Another possibility, but not a nice one. They do not want to take the training because of what they fear it might make them reveal about themself TO themself...

If the spouse took it, then could they help the other, assuming it is an issue either with difficulty reading the screens or using the technology? Lots of ways to possibly deal with it, but they need to understand why it is necessary for their doing what they hope to do. Definitely you should have a one on one to determine the exact problem.

KISS Method says you have that cuppa joe with the person and bend over backwards to help them get through YPT if they truly have any type learning disability.

Or if it is they are just mule-headed and refuse to take the course "just because" then they aren't a registered scouter.

This stuff isn't that hard to figure out.