So Wood badge is all about the beads!!!!!!!

I have got my course completion card and my ticket.

Explain to me why I would retake a course just to get the beads??????

If I felt that strongly about it I would just buy them on ebay. I trying to decide if I will complete my ticket.

Base,

I know you are ticked off at the course, and from your posts I would too at some of the stuff, but you made a commitment in time, energy, and money. I say follow through by completing the ticket, and yes getting the beads.

I say complete the ticket b/c hopefully you chose ticket items that will make a better program. That will benefit the scouts in your area, which is the most important thing to do! Put up with the shenigans for the time being in order to provide that program for your youth.

As for getting the beads, yes get them, for several reasons. 1) it does show a commitment to Scouting by willing to sacrifice your time, energy, and money to the program. 2) It shows that you do care about the youth as you have completed a series of projects that will hopefully provide a better program. 3)By having those beads, you have a better understanding of WB21C, and your critques of the program have more validity than someone who hasn't gone through the program but has kept abreast of the info and course material like myself. 4) you may be able to make a difference if you choose to staff the event in the future. And 5) if you ever move to another area, you will have completed WB21C.

I know when I went through BALOO, I was kinda sad as it was completely indoors. Some equipment was shown, but it was mostly a lecture and drawings on a dry erase board. I said I can do a better job, and was able to put on a BALOO course this past fall. It wasn't perfect, not by a long shot, but it was in the outdoors, equipment was on display, both stuff they would see regularly and stuff they probly won't see until Boy Scouts, etc. But the 2 instructors I recruited said it was 100 times better than the one we went through, the students were happy with it, and one student said it was a lot better than what he was told he would be doing as his CM went though the course I did.

My old FD told me, " always try to make lemonade out of lemons," and that is what may need to be done with WB situation.

Excellent point Eagle. I say complete the Tickets get beaded, and then try to make a difference by Staffing future courses. The problem with many course is the culture of Good'ld Boys running /ruining the show. One thing I like about WB at least here in TAC is that the Staff chance with every course. And people like myself still new to WB Staff the next course. In fact all of our TGs on next years course just went to WB. This means that in three years we will be leading the course. And another great thing about my Council is it's military rich. That means that people rotate out every three years.. so chances are that you will meet new people at every course of outing..

Nope, I believe I am done trying to make a difference on the district and council level. TOO MUCH ADULT BS. I will no longer waste my effort, I will make sure our CO BSA program is the best it can possibly be. I will continue to staff the IOLS course. If I ever get asked to staff woodbadge it will be NO with confidence.

I will earn my bead, just because it consists of things I would be doing any how. Now ask me if I will wear them?

If asked I will tell the person to avoid wood badge it was a waste of time. So what if you can't be SM for the Jamboree troop.

got a funny story, Couple weeks ago attended the Districts Webelo Woods event and it was a complete train wreck, not enough food, they were recruiting staff to man stations at the Friday night leaders meeting, saturday nights foil dinners were a mess, picture 130 people trying to cook the dinners on three bags of charcoal, by the time we got to cook ours the charcoal was finished, 40 minutes on the fire and the meals were still raw. I spent $80 out of my pocket to buy pizza four our boys I asked to be reimbursed from the event organizer who simply stated food was provided. One station was out standing. The Readyman station was excellent.

Well ran into a fellow SM yesterday at lunch and talked about the Webelos event. I told him my thoughts, he laughed. So I mentioned we should do our own event with just a couple of Packs and Troops. he called me last night and said his troop and Pack are in. So I am now organizing a Webelos Advancement Weekend with 2 troops and Packs and 1 crew.

I just gotta shake my head some times.

This is where you send your IH/COR to the District Committee meeting and have them publicly confront the District Chairman and the Activities Chairman. Tell them the program was unsat, and look at the DE and say "I have expenses I expect you to reimburse my unit."

You can have them try the friendly cup of coffee, if they've not been down that trail, but this is basic franchise agreement stuff: The Council is supposed to provide quality program. Period.

Base,

One thing I do after all activities is come up with ways to improve them. I'd be completely honest, but try to downplay the negativity as it's easier to get them to listen and implement. Is it 100% effective, no it isn't. Can they sometimes bite you in the butt, yes the organizer can. BUT you are trying to make a difference and improve the program. Offer ideas to improve as well, and again put a positive spin on it.

As for creating your own event, GOOD FOR YOU!

Basementdweller - Sounds like a poorly planned event - I've been on both sides of those myself. But I have a very small district, so it's not uncommon to be asking for staff at Friday night cracker barrel - very often, we don't know who's coming until the troops start showing up on Friday night. Not an excuse for inadequate staffing, just saying that for us it's a fairly common occurence.

Back on topic - or maybe related to the "poor planning" mentioned above - I'm one of those "incomplete" Wood Badger's. Attended both weekends, learned a little, make good friends and contacts both within Council and other troops, but, never finished the ticket. Procrastination is a lovely personality trait of mine that has cost me dearly in most areas of my life. I created my ticket, got it approved, and just never got around to working it to completion. Never made the effort to start up the Troop committee (gee, maybe that's why we were down to one scout?), still worked on Camporee's, but don't think I ever publicized it or planned as I laid out in my ticket.

I got several calls from my Patrol Advisor offering to help in any way possible, and will still run into him on occassion. I definitely regret it. When someone asks me now "Have you been to Wood Badge?" - I answer yes. If they ask "Have you completed Wood Badge?", I answer no. I don't elaborate unless they ask - I'm not hiding anything, I just don't feel like wasting their time giving my whole background. I know what I learned, but have no incentive (or permission!) to spend an additional $200 (probably more by now), or 2 3-day weekends away from my wife and kids. It kind of sucks not getting to wear the beads (or maybe I'm more jealous of not getting to wear a neckerchief that's actually the right size?), but it's just another un-learned lesson of life for me.

I didn't have a house burn down, get sick, lose a job, or anything that would warrant a multi-year extension. If I only get to be ASM instead of SM of a Jamboree troop, I can live with that. I'll still encourage the leaders in my troop to attend future courses. I'm still proud of the fact that my patrol won the "win all you can" game (I know that kind of goes against the purpose of the game - you kind of had to be there), that we had a great steak dinner on Saturday night, and that I got to know a great group of people. Maybe when I'm retired and the kids are in college, I'll go take the WB for the 21st & 1/2 Century course, just to check it off the bucket list.

But I don't expect to be given permission years after the fact just b/c I finally got around to completing the ticket, nor would I expect Council NOT to take my money if I decided to re-enroll. Maybe the only real consequence is if your CO considers "fully trained" to include WB?

Not sure if this really helped answer the question, or just provided everyone a good example of "How not to take WB".

YiS,

Gags