New trained leader ceremonies - help!

Hi everyone.

We have a brand new pack and I have no idea how to hold a ceremony for the trained leaders that are receiving their "Trained" patch. we have our 2nd Pack meeting coming up next month. I have the bobcat ceremony down, just cant find one for the den leaders.

Any ideas? I have googled till i cant google no more.

Thanks!

WEll, since it is a program for and centered around kids...I wouldn't go too far with pomp and ceremony.

The kids eyes will glaze over and drool will emit from thier mouths.

Yeah, you do want the kids to recognize and learn to applaud and respect others accomplishments, so it's a fine3 line to walk.

Basically, instead of a special ceremony for the adults, I'd just recognize them at the next pack meeting in the same way your recognize the scouts..Call them up, talk about what they did, and present them with the trained patch.

This will also show the scouts that their awards and patches are just as important as the ones adults get.

Yeah, that's what i am looking for, you got a pack meeting lasting 45 mins to 1 hr. We are doing the Bobcat awards. I think awarding the leaders with their accomplishments is just as important as the scouts. When I did leader specific they had a little ceremony using a little tree with leaves, i just can't remember it.

Pack24NC,

Greetings!

There is a Cub Scout Ceremony handbook, that has many recommended ceremonies.

It has been some time, but each year, in Sept, after school recruting and summer/fall training cycle, I would do a Den Leader Investment.

It was very much shortened, but essentially all the DL's pass the flame to light a candle, and promise to lead their Dens throughout the year. Do good, deliver a program, etc, etc. Meaningful, but short.

Congrats.

High fives.

and sit back down with their dens, just to come right back up for den recognitions, within a few seconds to minutes.

The investment ceremony would last less than a minute to lite the candles and make a promise.

Then, at the end of the school year, I would do adult training knots (recognitions).

Essentially, at least twice a year, my DL's were recognized infront of their dens, the families, and their own sons. Their sons got to see their mother or father, promise to be a good leader, and then recognized for being a good leader.

So....

I'd check out the Cub Scout Ceremony handbook, there are a few ideas in there and create your own New Trained Leader ceremony.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21_Adv

I did a search for "Den Leader Installation Ceremonies". Here are some links:

http://www.lenaperoundtable.com/files/Installation_and_Induction_Ceremonies.pdf

http://my.dmci.net/~dmanchester/Ceremonies/Inductions/DEN_LEADER_PROMISE.htm

http://my.dmci.net/~dmanchester/Ceremonies/Inductions/DEN_LEADER_INDUCTION_CEREMONY_N1.htm

http://my.dmci.net/~dmanchester/Ceremonies/Inductions/STRING_OVER_THE_DEN_LEADERS_FIN.htm

Now all of these talk about inducting new leaders, but can be adapted to recognize the commitment the leaders have made by taking training.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not believe a ceremony is in order. It's one thing to bring the leader up, hand him the tab and give him an atta-boy; but a formal ceremony?

When I completed Tiger Cub Leader specific training, the instuctor handed out the trained tabs with the card. we got handshake and told to be sure we had YPT etc. before putting the tab on the uniform.

When I completed Den leader Specific, tabs were given to those that did not already have them. Same routine.

In my pack, the leaders get a brief recognition at Blue and Gold. We line up on stage and the Cubmaster gives a 30 second talk about what we mean to the program and thanking us for our efforts. Last year the assembled parents gave us a standing ovation; far more meaningful to me than a ceremony to give me trained tab.

Just my 2 cents

Rik