Philmont Leadership Challenge?

Since there have been only three courses thus far, I think finding participants on this forum will be difficult.

Now, I do know a local Commissioner (ACC-Venturing) who attended, maybe that is the best way to find out ... check with your Council to see if anyone locally has attended.

I was fortunate to attend the Pilot Course 2 years ago. The course was excellent!. It is based on the NAYLE course and is very hands on, no just sitting around. PLC focuses on what it means to truely be a servant leader, in your personal life as well as in your scouting life. I would definately recommend it.

The pilot course was held during the Fall Session in late Sept. They don't run any youth treks at that time. Our schedule was full and we were camping in the tents at the Rocky Mountain Camp area which is a remote location and was for participants only. I don't know how they manage family members when they run the course during the summer session. Maybe family members would stay in the tents adjacent to the Philmont Training Center, I really don't know but you could call out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I too attended the pilot course in 2008 and returned to staff the Sept 2009 course. You may not want to take your family as you will not have contact with them the entire week. You will be based mainly at the Rocky Mountain Scout camp and will take a one or two night backpacking trip out to remote campsite. You will be fairly active and moving about so you should be in good shape though not quite Philmont "trek" shape. I highly recommend the course and don't know of anyone who was disappointed. Some said it was the best course they had ever taken and I concur.

Thanks, everyone -- I really appreciate the input. The online description of the program sounds great. I figure if I were to sign up, I'm looking at 2 or 3 years from now, so I'm hoping the course is good enough to stick around. :-)

Guy