I would assume to staff PLC you have to have already served on staff of a WB21C. Is this correct?

If that's so, you've got a third bead.

If you want a fourth bead, course direct a WB course, or even a NYLT course.

Just my 3 beads on the subject.

It seems to me the CD of a PLC, would be on a par with a CD of Woodbadge or NYLT. So the 4th bead (unless they already have the 4th bead) recognition would likely be reasonable. Criteria? No idea other than serving as the CD for a PLC.

Everyone else on staff for a PLC would have the 3rd bead as a pre-req., so no real issue. Although, the application skill-set is probably greater, it's like serving on a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, Woodbadge course.(This message has been edited by dg98adams)(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

"Just remember, there was only 1 "five bead" scouter!"

Not so, UCF! There have been a number of 5 beaders and a couple of 6 beaders. The Director of Training at Gilwell wears 6, as did B-P. I don't know how many 5 beaders there have been, but Bill Hillcourt had 5, one of which was an original Dinizulu bead.

"Everyone else on staff for a PLC would have the 3rd bead as a pre-req., so no real issue. Although, the application skill-set is probably greater, it's like serving on a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, Woodbadge course."

I can't agree with the first sentence, although it would make sense to me. I know that's not true. Regarding the skill set ... it's totally different. I don't know if a comparison is fair (apples and oranges regarding Scoutcraft skills).

I happen to know that a few staffers just got third beads, and that at least one staffer had no beads at all.

That's why I'm asking. Is there any sort of requirments for this stuff?

BDPT00

I have heard a rumor that our local fall Woodbadge course actually has some staffers who have not completed their ticket ... but I am hoping this was some great extenuating circumstance.

I think BD, that the only case you would get an extra bead, is when you worked at a level above your current position -- staff, or course director -- and you would receive the appropriate number of beads, 3 or 4.

And Kahuna ... thanks for that update. When I was at Gilwell last in 2001, the Director of Training was not in, so I never saw him in uniform.

Now, does anyone know if there has ever been a BSA Scouter, other than GBB, who had 5 or more WB beads?

All the info you ever wanted to know about beads and other Wood Badge history is at http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/library/hqdocs/facts/pdfs/fs145001.pdf

From that document:

"When foreign countries established Wood Badge

training after the pattern set by Gilwell, the person

in charge of originating the course was designated

a Gilwell Deputy Camp Chief, representing Gilwell

Park in his own country. According to a tradition

supposedly established by Baden-Powell, that

person could wear fivebeads. Most of these fifth

beads were presented in the 1920s and 1930s but

what happened to them and who wore them is not

known."

"I think BD, that the only case you would get an extra bead, is when you worked at a level above your current position -- staff, or course director -- and you would receive the appropriate number of beads, 3 or 4."

*** That only makes sense, and I agree. What I'm curious about is how one is chosen to serve on a staff, and how/why/when/who decided this is appropriate for a course other than traditional Wood Badge. I know that at least two people serving the most recent course hadn't taken the course, and that one of them hasn't attended Wood Badge. I also know that a few other staffers received a bead for serving on this staff. That makes it clear that they're not Wood Badge staffers.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around what this course actually is, and who decides staffing requirements, and then when this course receive the OK to award Wood Badge beads (or did they?).

Anybody know?

BDPT00