• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll start off by saying this is an honestly curious question and not intended to start any sort of political/gender thing.

For those of you in LDS units who mix with non-LDS units, do any issues arise concerning female leaders who camp (obviously leadership with the non-LDS units)?

Vicki

>I'll start off by saying this is an honestly curious question and not intended to start any sort of political/gender thing.

For those of you in LDS units who mix with non-LDS units, do any issues arise concerning female leaders who camp (obviously leadership with the non-LDS units)? >

With the rising presence of LDS members in our area (the St. Louis temple is relatively new) this is something that is going to come up. So far, we are experiencing the segregated phenomenon. We offered a separate week of NYLT for LDS and didn't have enough interest to hold the course. Same with Wood Badge (which we offer twice a year).

But we are trying, and if anyone has addressed the question I asked in their area, I'd like to know.

Vicki

Scoutmaster, NYLT

TG, Wood Badge

"For those of you in LDS units who mix with non-LDS units, do any issues arise concerning female leaders who camp (obviously leadership with the non-LDS units)?"

When in Rome, do as the Romans. There is nothing "doctrinal" about men and women being separate in activities. Preventing female leaders from camping with the boys is in the rules for us, so we follow that when doing LDS-sponsored activities, or LDS WB, etc. However, when I have attended non-LDS activities that require camping, I just use my best judgment and follow the orders of the camp leaders as long as it doesn't put me in a compromising position - which I just doubt would happen.

A couple adult-training examples so far - one activity had cabins, separate for men and women. One activity had mixed gender patrols and we camped in our individual tents. Neither of those caused me any concern.

Vicki,"For those of you in LDS units who mix with non-LDS units, do any issues arise concerning female leaders who camp (obviously leadership with the non-LDS units)?"

Nope never been a problem. While the female leaders usually camp in the same vicinity of the other leaders, they always have their who accommodations (Tent), as it should be. They usually have their own toilet facility or a sign is posted when they are using the facilities.

Vicki, "So far, we are experiencing the segregated phenomenon. We offered a separate week of NYLT for LDS and didn't have enough interest to hold the course. Same with Wood Badge (which we offer twice a year)."

I don't understand the separate week? If they are going to come they will come. Having a separate week will do nothing to change this.

I'm starting to see some awakening with co-ed venturing programs and the LDS venturing programs. Some YM in our area are joining a co-ed program as well because they want more than the church program is offering(its not the girls ether).

Anyway one of the YM in my ward has done this. He drives 20 miles one way to meeting. The other night he received an award at the ward scout court of honor. His other crew (co-ed) came to the court of honor as well. When our Crew Advisor asked the other crew which Young Man was in charge one of the Young Ladies raised her hand,it was quite funny and an awakening to our advisor. Even better was when I learned latter that the Young Lady was also LDS, and the president of her Young Womens class at church.

"When our Crew Advisor asked the other crew which Young Man was in charge one of the Young Ladies raised her hand,it was quite funny and an awakening to our advisor. Even better was when I learned latter that the Young Lady was also LDS, and the president of her Young Womens class at church."

I understand the Western Region's youth president is an LDS female - obviously from a non-LDS unit.

Gary, the separate week is to accommodate the perceived need to avoid Saturday night activities. My understanding is that whether or not LDS members can participate in an activity that runs through Saturday and into Sunday is up to the church leadership.

Vicki

Vicki, "Gary, the separate week is to accommodate the perceived need to avoid Saturday night activities."

No need to avoid Saturday night activities. As long as those who choose to return home for their sabbath can leave at a reasonable time. With a three day woodbadge course, held on a F,S,& S, that may not work well.

Vicki, "My understanding is that whether or not LDS members can participate in an activity that runs through Saturday and into Sunday is up to the church leadership."

Special leadership OK is only if the troop needs to be gone on Sunday for some reason. For example they have to travel far to get to a resident camp and need to be there by say 8am Monday morning. In order to avoid having to travel on Sunday, they would need to travel on Saturday.

Woodbadge, is an individual activity and would be up to the individual if they choose to attend on a Sunday, no leadership permission is necessary. However, most LDS members would probably choose to not attend if the course were to be on a Sunday.

In my area our course is held on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday for everyone. Seems to work well.