Is your training record up to date?

Is your training record up to date in scoutnet? What I really want to know are all the cub, boy and venture scouters training records up to date and correct in your council?

If so how did they get that way. Or was there a problem and a lot of work had to be do to get them correct.

Ours are now after one fire drill and manual clean up a year or two ago. Lately, any and all on-line training has been entered perfectly, while the in-person stuff is handled pretty well as well.

As an fyi, you can now check yours (or anyone else's!) ScoutNet training record by going to http://myscouting.scouting.org/, logging in, and clicking on "Training Validation" on the left in gray. I've got 4 pages listed if I query on my BSA id or MyScouting username. Advanced search works well if you don't know a person's BSA id, although you need to be specific in order to avoid having more than one person returned from your query (which will throw an error).

We are going through clean-up now.

The on-line verification may be deceptive. You have to know that this shows you what is on-line, MAYBE what is at Council (IF you set your on-line account up with your membership ID# & District).. And then if you see both your on-line and council "in-class" courses, you will then know if you council courses are right, but this does not guarentee that council is seeing your on-line courses 98% of the time you should be Ok at this point. But Council does like quirky software issues, like the one I have where the wifes account is showing her classroom courses & on-line and all looks good. But the Council is not crediting her account with the on-line courses, they are crediting her husbands account with them.

I thought once I had the cleanup done I could then keep on top of the on-line course recording. But, as I go through the cleanup I figured out I never will be able to. Problem is it is out of my control. People take courses out of district, out of council, at summer camp, or they have trained someone in their unit to do their own personal training. I can not control these other venues to get their courses information into council. So in-person courses will always, ALWAYS be on-going cleanup work.

Here to hoping that the promised "future" software will make this process easier.

I also found there is a disconnect between the Training Validation on www.MySocuting.org and where ever the Training Complete report is being generated.

I am being told that to be considered trained for their position a persons name must appear on the Training Complete report.

So far I have found two Leaders who when listing their training records from the Training Validation it has everything listed to be fully trained at their position.

Neither name appears on the Training Complete report.

My DE checked their training records and it comes up they are missing one of the courses (both happened to be This is Scouting and both leaders did it online)

This will require us to get everyone up to date on the Training Validation and then cross reference their name to make sure they appear on the Training Complete report.

If it doesn't appear we will have to contact our registrar to try and straighten it out one leader at a time.

Our councils registrar is looking into this but hasnt let me know if they fixed this issue yet.

My training record isn't up to date. Everything I've taken online is there, as well as the training that I submitted to the council in a training update form. The class-based training I've taken since that time (April 2008) from the council hasn't been updated. I probably need to send in another update form, but I think I will wait. I'm a Web II leader, and will wait to update after I've decided what I want to do with Boy Scouts. I'm already the troop Advancement Chair, and I'm contemplating ASM after I finish my term with my youngest son in Web II.

My training via My Scouting's Validation ispretty much up to date, although a little inaccurate. They have me listed as completing a Philmont course, and instead of having me doing CSBLT back in the day they divided all the topics covered with the current names, i.e. CM specific, TCDL specific, etc. They have added the CS shooting sports certs I took locally, but haven't added my NCS cert from february. Don't know if national was suppose to add that one or what, but I'll be sendig a copy of the cert soon to the office.

BUT to get the record accurate, I had to create a trainging survey form and submit it to the council. When I was training chair, only a handful of folks were "trained," and none of the WBers, training staff, and the one PTC Instructor were on that list, including me. I had to create a training survey, send it out, and send copies of the results to the office. Since I was unemployed at the time, I also coded the results to make it easier for the registrar to put into the system.

CNYScouter.. to your comment "I am being told that to be considered trained for their position a persons name must appear on the Training Complete report." There are people stuck on the "untrained" report with no required courses needed. They will just never ever go to the trained report.. Our Council Training chair is one stuck on the "Untrained" and she organizes and runs every required course offered. She is "untrained" with no courses needed. I had about 4 from my district like that. You have other people stuck as trained, although they were trained for a position they no longer have, and are untrained for their current position. National had better not take these "buggy" report as gospel.

As to your comment "My DE checked their training records and it comes up they are missing one of the courses (both happened to be This is Scouting and both leaders did it online) "..

If you were trying to credit them with New Leaders Essentials that was replaced by "This is scouting".. Then they probably did something position or unit change that made the grandfather clause for NLE null & void.. That's why they had to take "This is Scouting"..